Unlimited access >

***03/04/24 upd*** Pearl is better

My last dog will cause me guilty feelings forever. He needed to go to his rest, but I didn’t do it early enough. He stayed alive for me, and that was my fault. I should have put him to sleep a month before I did, and I will regret the hesitation to do it for the rest of my life. He wasn’t in pain, but he was ready to go long before I had the courage to take him to the vet for the last time.

16 Likes

I don’t mean to be harsh, but I want you to understand the potential reality of a cat throwing clots (as background, I am a retired vet tech who spent many years in the ER and in a cardio specialty practice).

Some clots cause partial paralysis that I would imagine is perplexing to the animal but does not seem to be painful per se. However, if you ever see a cat suffering from a saddle thrombus, you will never forget it… I would not wish the condition on my worst enemy.

meds may delay the cascade of badness that is happening, but as you said, it is not going to stop it. and even worse that she is not going to be a willing participant in the medication process. you are NOT “giving up too soon” or “letting her go because she’s an inconvience.” you are freeing her from her failing body before the oncoming crises arrives.

:heart:

30 Likes

Hugs and jingles -

On the question of when, though - I’ve had cats that were ill, like Nigel, that the other cats left alone, or even welcomed. But I had one who had suffered a small stroke (she was only slightly ataxic) and I noticed one of the other cats attacking her - not bad, but enough to knock her off her feet. I isolated her immediately, but she stroked out within the hour. Point is, sometimes the other cats will be okay with an ill cat, but if they are really acting “off” and not well, they might attack.

I don’t think there’s any reason to feel guilty about letting her go earlier if that’s what you decide is best. That way, you know you won’t be facing the possibility of an emergency vet visit later.

7 Likes

Perhaps she had been “holding it” while under there?
I’d be observant of signs of a UTI

Letting them go on a day they aren’t in an urgent situation is far better than waiting until their last days were the worst.
And with your tight schedule, better to plan it for when you can, than finding her having suffered while you’re at work and have the challenge of getting time off to take her in or the expense and stress of using an unfamiliar/er vet.

The best thing I did for my last beagle I put down was…

The first day she yelped in pain from her aggressive cancer, diagnosed just a week prior, was make The Appointment for that afternoon, drug her up and give her all the treats and smells and love til we had to go.

13 Likes

We’ve all done this. :heartpulse: Don’t beat yourself up too much over it.

8 Likes

More Jingles for Pearl and her tribe and mom ~

@shiloh ~ bless you for giving your Pearl a good life and continuing to offer her comfort and peace during this most difficult of times ~

You will know ~ when you need to know ~ and what to do to help your Pearl ~

((Hugs)) laced with strength and patience for both of you ~ as always thinking of you two and hoping for some improvement and more time together ~

2 Likes

Sending jingles.

Well, I don’t know what happened - the CoTH jingles may have worked.

I came home last night and was fully prepared for the worst and to make that appt today. But I get in, dig her out from under the bed and she has actually improved. A lot. Now I realize completely that this is still looming and is not going away and when it comes back is going to be very bad. But she was actually cheerful and volunteered to come out and join the rest of the cats. And she slept mostly thru the night and had even gotten up to play with her favorite toy.(At 5 am - really?) When I served the food she actually ran towards me and I hadn’t even gotten it onto the floor before she was scarfing it down. The pain meds wore off and she is not acting all crazy and spooked. She slept all snuggled up with me. Yeah it might be the last hurrah but I will take it all day long. Every day is another day and I’m going to play it that way.

31 Likes

A very good update indeed !

Rest & recovery ~ for both of you ~

Jingles & AO ~

2 Likes

Amazing news. Take every day as it comes.
Sending more jingles.

2 Likes

How is Pearl doing?

2 Likes

Any updates on Pearl? Hoping she has continued to improve. Jingling madly for her!

3 Likes

@shiloh - thinking about your and Pearl today, and the rest of your kitties. Saw some footage of the storms in San Jose. Hoping you’re okay!

4 Likes

Well, its been over a month and Pearl is holding course at “better.” She acts like her old self but has decided that i am not so bad and has been snugging up with me at night and wanting pets. Still her silly skittish self otherwise. Hates her pill - she has to take 1/4 of a Plavix every day for the rest of her life but seems to understand she has to take it. Well, ok - she’s not actively fleeing anymore. lol

Took her for a recheck after I got home from hospital and vet was pleased with her progress but had me wean her off of steroid with apparently would hasten the cardiac issues. So i will take what I can get - I know we are still having other issues but as long as she is happy and wants to go on, I will go, too. I guess she is “recovered,” because Baler has taken to chasing her and being a misery to her again. While she was ill, he was actually very sweet to her and did not mess with her at all. Shocker.

She missed a boatload of meds while I was out of the house but that did not seem to have affected her adversely. Whew. Only problem I have now is that Jack licked a big sore onto her head by her ear and she washes off all the healing ointment. sigh…cats

16 Likes

Good to hear! Go, Pearl! (And you!)

2 Likes

So glad to hear you are feeling better!

Envision your precious encapsulated in such a contraption. :joy: For healing purposes, of course.
ETA might want to add an avocado mesh barrier to the top as a Jack preventative. :wink:

1 Like

I’d have to put a helmet on her! She is just Little Miss Passive when it comes to her big brother. And I have to be vigilant and keep moving him away from her. And everyone else as he LOVES to wash everyone’s faces and ears. Crazy cat :roll_eyes: :grimacing:

But that is a cute E-collar. I would make one that looked like a lion mane.

1 Like