Unlimited access >

1” Slow feed Hay Nets: Gutzbusta Hay Nets? Alternatives?

I have a new Haygain steamer, and my Smartpak slow feed nets aren’t working well with it. Mare is still hoovering hay with 1.5” holes, so I am looking for 1” anyways… so now is as good a time as any to take the plunge.

Haygain’s nets say not to feed with them (lol), and they don’t appear to be slow feed even if I ignored that advice.

I just learned from this thread that nets should be polypropylene, cotton or nylon to withstand steamer temps.

Most of the nets I am seeing are bigger than 1” or have no reviews. I would like to be able to fit 4-5 flakes in a net.

It looks like Gutzbusta (out of Australia, but with a US presence?) is well-reviewed. They have 3/4” and 1.25” holes, and Medium fits the bill. Has anyone tried these?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Nibble Net has a slow & slower model with 1” openings on one side and 1.5” on the other - https://www.thinaircanvas.com/collections/nibble-nets/products/ground-feeder-slow-and-slower

They make a lot of their products to order so it might be worth contacting them if this model isn’t quite what you’re looking for.

4 Likes

Thanks, @GreyDes! Unfortunately, they are vinyl, which won’t withstand the temps, and are similar to the ones I have that aren’t working well with the steamer (which are probably also vinyl). I think the rope type, vs webbing type, will work better with the spiked manifolds, and with fitting into the unit (I got the One, which is round…).

1 Like

I know people here love Hay Chix nets. It looks like this one fits the bill, but man is it pricey and I would need at least 2-3. Are they worth it?

1 Like

They’re spendy, but my haychix nets have held up very well. Including to winters of being pretty much lost in mud. Find them come spring, hose them off, soak in a bucket with some dawn, rinse, and back to use.

My oldest nets are 6 years old and still going strong.

3 Likes

@erinmeri I do not put any of my hay nets in the hay steamer …I use Haychix 1” nets and they are fantastic and so much easier to load and hang than any other nets.

2 Likes

I’m a Consumer Reports geek kind of person and tried several hay net brands out of curiosity and settled on Hay Burners. Something they eat from for hours can have an affect on their health. I’m shocked too at the plastic feel of some nets and how hard that would be on soft tissue like lips and gums, let alone teeth. With the high cost of vet care and the stress on a horse of sore gums and lips it really matters to get a soft net as possible and yes, still be durable.

I’ve gone to only using Hay Burners and have NO connection with them other than being a customer.
Just to get that out there for anyone wondering.

And they have 1" holes.

Just my 2 cents. :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, all for the advice!

Handy hay nets is in Canada but they ship to the US.

I’ve got a couple from there and they’re sturdy. No knots either.

1 Like

I have and recommend the HayChix nets. They hold up really well. I have the regular slow feed (1” holes) and the extreme slow feed (3/4” holes). My horse has moderated her eating and we just use the regular slow feed nets.

Susan

2 Likes

Have you thought about steaming in one net, then dropping the whole thing -net and all- into a second net with smaller holes if you can’t find a small hole that works in the steamer?

5 Likes

No, but that may be an idea! I think one of the above suggestions will work for both, though. Busy weekend, but am going to compare all options tonight.

Thanks, all!

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone who weighed in! I went ahead with HayChix, and I love them. The barn staff loves them. They are incredibly easy to use as quick to fill.

Sadly, the Yellow seems to have figured out today how to divest them of their purchase. I think she must be an equine genius… as she also divested herself of a cross-tie today.

I am a bit worried that she is able to figure out the carabiner and could get her shoes tangled in the net… but I adore them in every other way!

Tape the Haychix carabiner closed with duct tape or electrical tape and get an another large-ish carabiner…like so
https://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Invention-Carabiner-Clip-Multi-Purpose/dp/B08CNPC5RK/ref=sxin_17_sbv_search_btf?content-id=amzn1.sym.6cfa532e-9c8f-48d2-87a3-a61547a0d356%3Aamzn1.sym.6cfa532e-9c8f-48d2-87a3-a61547a0d356&cv_ct_cx=spring%2Bclip&keywords=spring%2Bclip&pd_rd_i=B08CNPC5RK&pd_rd_r=47558fff-1677-4bfe-963c-415fe17da969&pd_rd_w=PVE0z&pd_rd_wg=hGrQD&pf_rd_p=6cfa532e-9c8f-48d2-87a3-a61547a0d356&pf_rd_r=K302ABEKG4SRBVJ13K2N&qid=1690348124&sbo=EO%2BcdOgoisx3waG5xqcZQA%3D%3D&sr=1-1-5190daf0-67e3-427c-bea6-c72c1df98776&th=1 Hang the net with the second carabiner.

My mare somehow could undo the Haychix ones. I think the ones like I linked have a heavier spring and I also think the different shape makes it difficult to open.

Susan

2 Likes

Or get one that “locks” in some way.

I use magnetic locking ones for nets in the horse trailer after finding one too many on the ground on arrival, even with a twist-lock carabiner.

1 Like

Those are :sunglasses:.

Susan

Thanks again! Of course before the locking carabiners came, she did it again last night and somehow sliced her hip open on the carabiner. I guess she pulled it down and then stepped on it or something (the spring mechanism no longer works post-incident) and then either laid down on it or rolled on it. Horses…

I got locking carabiners from Amazon today, and we are using double ended snaps until I can bring them out tomorrow.

I also figured out that she is probably opening the carabiners when she violently flings the net upwards. Working student pointed out that they can open when that happens.

I really adore these nets, and I honestly prefer carabiners to double ended snaps… I just wish they came with locking ones standard.

I recommend Slow Feed Nets. They have high-quality nets with a variety of options and offer free shipping in the United States. I’ve also contacted their customer service to customize a large round bale hay net, and I hope it can be helpful for you.

6 Likes