Unlimited access >

12/1 Leone Letter COTH

I was really irritated. Perhaps others were too. I can’t believe the hubris. Any thoughts? Do we just wait for the USOC decision?

I know some donors. Has anyone seen the a copy of the letter requesting permission to use endowment moneys to fund NGB litigation (can’t believe this would be done orally), a list of the individuals to whom this letter was sent, and the replies of those who gave their permission? Does anyone know individuals or organizations who received such a request?

and Lucassb beat me to the exact reply I was composing …

I think the whole thing sucks. Yep, that just about sums it up for me!

Yeah, but it’s still bad form to sign your name as Dr Dolittle. Oh, I mean Dr Whomever.

I found the letter to be rather pompous myself. But I should have expected there to be a rebuttal of sorts considering the source. Whoops, don’t mean to be rude…

As an accountant (albeit a non practicing one anymore), when USET board members dip into their personal bank accounts to prop up any budget deficits; my first thoughts are this is bordering on deception.

By the way, I wonder if I asked USET, would they provide me with a line item budget for 2002? Not the pie chart/graph, but the actual budget they have drafted or should have by now…

SoEasy, I should have put “favorable end to the NGB dispute” on my Christmas list.

<sigh>

To appreciate heaven well
'Tis good for a man to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
Will Carleton (1845-1912)

Are the transcripts of the hearing online?

Erin, I believe that when he was practicing medicine, he was a radiologist. (He’s still a radiologist, of course, but I believe he practices law now and no longer actively practices medicine.)

His legal specialties, as could be expected, involve medical malpractice. complex personal injury, and health law. MDs turned lawyers are generally highly prized in the medical malpractice field – they can actually understand what the clients and witnesses are talking about!

oops, and now that I bother to read, that’s exactly what Glimmerglass already posted.

you go for it Bethe - and let us know what kind of response you receive

My favorite part was the wording in item 1. (iii) 'expenses associated with NGB [B]proceedings’[/B] but (iv)was ‘expenses associated with [B]Balch’s lawsuit[/B]’

‘If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?’

Weatherford, could you post where one might find these transcripts.

I have looked for AHSA/USET court transcripts in the state of NJ website to no avail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coreene:
Yeah, but it’s still bad form to sign your name as Dr Dolittle. Oh, I mean Dr Whomever.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious, but since the original letter is not before us - did the Chronicle perhaps just label the author as Dr. Armand Leone? As opposed to correct signatory of Armand Leone, Jr., M.D., J.D.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SGray:
you go for it Bethe - and let us know what kind of response you receive<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can sure give it a try and see what happens…

I have an offline question for you. If you would not mind, will you send me an email?
Thanks!

I can’t help but be fascinated by the fall of Enron. I continue to bring up this comparison because all I see with the Alan Balch lawsuit(s) is an individual asking a corporation to behave in a professional, business-like manner. In the Enron case, there are Wall Street financial analysts out the ying-yang whose job it is to watch over corporations, and the SEC providing enforcement power. Other than Alan Balch, who’s asking the “probing questions” in the horse world?

In the 12/4/01 Wall Street Journal, the front page headline is, “Behind Enron’s Fall, A Culture of Operating Outside Public’s View.”

The article goes on to state how at a meeting with credit rating agency officials, Enron mentioned that shareholder’s equity would be reduced by $1.2 billion. The analysts suggested that this was so significant that it should be reported to the SEC. Enron did not.

The following is direct from the article:

“It was vintage Enron: minimal disclosure of financial information that, in retrospect was central to understanding the complex company…But virtually unseen until the end was an Enron culture that contained the seeds of its collapse, a culture of highly questionable financial engineering, missated earnings and persistent efforts to keep inverstors in the dark.”

“Senior Enron executives flouted elementary conflict-of-interest standards. The company hired legions of lawyers and accountants to help it meet the letter of federal securities laws while trampling on the intent of those laws. It became adept at giving technically correct answers rather than simply honest ones.”

The WSJ gives the example: “One senior Wall Street official recalls asking Enron officials whether the company had retained bankruptcy counsel. He was told no. He later found out that while Enron hadn’t formally retained such represnetation, it had met with bankruptcy lawyers. ‘If you don’t ask the absolute right question, you don’t get the right answer’.”

Quite possibly, which is what I tried to say before. But I believe Coreene is on a mission.

Seriously, it’s quite likely that Chronicle style is just to use “Dr.” instead of MD, DVM, or whatever. I don’t remember for sure, though.

I was really irritated. Perhaps others were too. I can’t believe the hubris. Any thoughts? Do we just wait for the USOC decision?

I know some donors. Has anyone seen the a copy of the letter requesting permission to use endowment moneys to fund NGB litigation (can’t believe this would be done orally), a list of the individuals to whom this letter was sent, and the replies of those who gave their permission? Does anyone know individuals or organizations who received such a request?

bump

fyi - the COTH has now added several weeks of Letters to the Editor to the online version (thank you COTH) at http://www.chronofhorse.com/letters.html

you can read our letter in the 11/09 section and the response from Leone in the 11/30 section

Of course! That evil Alan Balch and his lawsuit is the cause of the USET financial woes