Unlimited access >

16 foot fence panels in a regular pickup?

thanks. everybody.
I think I am going back to the drawing board, trying to avoid the headlines: Local woman killed by fence panels

They are supposed to make my life easier. not seeing that atm.
:smile:

2 Likes

Lol!

Like a cattle panel ( flexible)? Or a 16 foot round pen panel( solid metal tubing)?

For the flexible type I just bend it so it is rounded and attach each end to the rings at the front of the pickup bed ( by the cab).

I would be leery of hauling a 16 foot long solid panel hanging off the bed. Just because people can’t seem to drive anymore…

1 Like

If you have a TSC store nearby, sign up for their rewards program. One of the rewards is a free flat bed trailer rental or two every quarter.

2 Likes

oh nice!

Ty

I was an ASM at a TSC for a short while. We were told, firmly, that we were not to attempt to help people secure loads- ever. Major liability.

When the craze started to make arbors out of 16’ cattle panels, people came into the store, and they’d buy one or more. You would walk out to the parking lot, and look at their ride, and think holy shit!

My favorite was a lady who bought three, and had a minivan. Like the Dodge kind. One of the team members went out, and proceeded to help her put them ON TOP OF her minivan, where she told him to put them. I looked out, and thought, man, this is not going to end well. I walked out front of the store, and called him by name, and asked him to come back into the store. I could tell by his body language, and hers, that she was irate that he wasn’t finishing the job of securing the panels. They were hanging to the ground in front of, and almost to the ground behind, the car.

He came back into the store, and I watched her use bungie cords- loosely- to try and tie them down. She left the parking lot with them bouncing along. I am not sure how far she got BUT she did file a nasty review, saying that I had been screaming at the team member to come back into the store, and refusing to allow him to assist her further (in her idiocy). Good times!

3 Likes

Oh I suppose, I worked at several here in MT and we always helped load but that was years ago.

I remember well the uh… let’s not do that people. lol

The minivan :laughing:

1 Like

Post on FB and see if anyone is planning to make a trailer run and will grab them for you while they’re at it?

1 Like

I seriously would never try to haul 16ft flexible panels on anything shorter than 10ft. Even rigid lumber-- with that much area unsupported–will start flopping up and down.
Case in point - we hauled 18ft material on our 10ft utility trailer. This mostly rigid metal, and we were able to bind it tightly into one big bundle to make it even more strong and rigid. Finally, we pulled it forward in the trailer so there was about 3ft of this load overhanging the hitch. In other words only 6ft of material hanging off the back end of the trailer.

Let me tell ya, that sucker was bouncing up and down like CRAZY. We had to go about 20mph and slow down to a crawl over any significant bumps. You could tell how bad it was by how far away from us all other vehicles were staying. I bet some of them are still talking about that one time they got stuck behind those lunatics with the trailer :laughing:

We stopped twice over the course of 12 miles to check the tiedowns, and both times we had to tighten them.

I seriously advise against trying something similar with flexible material. Salt blocks will be NOTHING compared to the forces created by those panels bounding around and your tie downs may not stay tight for long. You could very easily lose control of the situation.

If you decide to do this, go on back roads, drive at a crawl, and consider doing it very early AM when few other cars will be on the road.

2 Likes

Could you rent a U-Haul car trailer? They’re over 16’ and would be cheap to rent for an hour or two.

1 Like

well, I saw something that could work: SOme person in a pickup with a camper shell had a board (2x4 perhaps?) strapped tp the passenger side of the vehicle. That should work, no?

j/k that was so ridiculous, I nearly ended up in the ditch.