Unlimited access >

16 foot fence panels in a regular pickup?

How does one transport 16 foot fence panels (welded wire) without a very long trailer?
And I don’t need a boatload so no delivery…

You could do it if you have an 8 foot bed. Just put something heavy on the front part of your load, set the other end on top of your tailgate, strap it heavily and put some kind of flags on the ends of the panels sticking out. Of course I live in Alabama where this sort of thing is not unusual.

3 Likes

I haven’t yet done this in a pickup, but you could use the method I used to move panels into a very tight space. Standing the panel upright on its long side, tie one end to a post or push it against a wall (make certain it won’t slip). Take hold of the other end and flex the panel until the two ends nearly meet. Then connect the two ends securely with a couple of 3-foot camper tie-downs or other strong fastener. (Fastening these several squares in from the end is best for limiting the width.) The panel forms an arch over my head when I carry them, but in a pickup bed you’d lay them down with the top of the arch against the back of the cab. If you are loading more than one, remove the tie-down and let the truck sides hold the first one in place. Repeat the process, sliding the second one inside the first. Rinse and repeat. You’d have to experiment to see how many you could transport using this method. While the spring formed by the panels holds them in place, you still need to tie these down securely to the truck frame.

2 Likes

I think those are rather elastic? for lack of a better world. Think they work, hanging out the back of the truck?

Does your task require 16’ length? I bought 2 16’ to use as trellis in my vegetable garden and needed 8’. I brought wire cutters and cut them I half before I brought them home.

Just strap the bajeezus out of it where it’s in the truck bed, flag the end. Might be worth putting a long board under so they can’t wobble up and down so bad. You can also scoot them up in the bed so they’re on the cab, bring a towel to protect paint. Again, strap the bajeezus out of them where you can.

You’re fine.

They will wobble and ones that long will drag.

Ask around and see if you have any friends with a small utility trailer? Buy them lunch and hand over some cash if they’ll help you go pick them up. If they refuse to let you pay, accidentally drop some money in their truck cab as you’re getting out. :wink:

1 Like

Hence the board suggestion. :slight_smile:

16’ in an 8’ bed will not drag, unless your truck is lowered…

We’ve curled them up or we’ve just taken the horse trailer to move them. After you’ve coiled and more importantly UNCOILED them a few times taking the horse trailer doesn’t seem like as big of a deal. Agree, if you don’t need the full length you can ask them to cut them or do it yourself before loading up too.

1 Like

I was a little baffled that they would not deliver. I guess they are a farm store and customers have trailers.

I definitely want the full length, or shorter pannels would work.

Thanks all.
I am still n a funk, my brain is not working on all cylinders atm.

1 Like

Lay them flat over the tailgate. Strap the ends together that are butted up against the cab. If you need them, go ahead and buy up some of the full sized salt blocks, feed, etc to help weight down that end. Nearer the tail gate, strap them all down well to the truck, weaving the strap through the panels so none of them attempt to walk off the job. I do like the suggestion to buy a 2X10 while you’re at it, let it serve as a spine.

or better yet as @OnAMission said, take the trailer. Those suckers are unwieldy with sharp edges :wink:

2 Likes

kind of like C> ?

1 Like

When we haul them in an 8 foot bed (that you don’t mind scratches in-just about any way you do it the bed could get scratched) we do it in an upside down U. The cab and tailgate maintain the shape but straps straps straps prevent any jack in the box effect.

Even if your feedstore won’t deliver maybe they could/would at least help you load them? They are feisty things.

3 Likes

They sell 8 foot ones here. Much easier. I’ve done the upside down U and the secure the ends methods. The secured ends is much safer. The U can smack someone hard when you unload. Especially if you buy a bunch. I was very careful and had help.

1 Like

Hook up the horse trailer, go pick them up.

:articulated_lorry:

:crazy_face:
I don’t have one.

Rent an appropriate trailer from uhaul or other such place that rent trailers.

Or, buy some long dimensional lumber that you put in the bed of the truck first, that will act as a support for the panels you stack on top of it.

Edit because I wanted to say buy, not but.

2 Likes

My truck is stock and the extra hanging over the tailgate definitely dragged as our drive went on

1 Like

If you do the U use a ratchet strap to hold the two ends of the U together, like U with the _ on the ends if that makes any sense at all, and then when you undo them if you think the ratchet will let go too fast have a rope of some sort added in to release the tension gradually. They do pack a wallop!

1 Like