Unlimited access >

1950s Show Equipment... No Saddle Pads??

I just got my ordered copy of Margaret Cabell Self’s “Jumping Simplified” published in 1959 I believe. In the chapter discussing showing she explains that in hunter classes where the tack and attire are judged (Corinthian classes) saddle pads are NOT ALLOWED. Why did they have this rule? It makes no sense to me…

Of course having said that, the same paragraph describes the optional “sandwich case” which, if carried, was required to contain sandwiches. So maybe expecting their rules to be practical is a stretch in the first place. Haha

But can anyone explain why saddle pads weren’t allowed??

As it was explained to me in the 1980s when I was showing Working Hunters and field hunting in the UK the saddle should fit so well that no pad or cloth is needed.

Boots were also disallowed as out hunting burrs and dirt could get under them and irritate the legs, as well as being one more piece of equipment that might fail or slip and cause a fall. And bridles had sewn in bits so that stud hooks or buckles couldn’t come undone.

Standing martingales were verboten too: in the event of a fall the horse needed all his ability to use his “fifth leg” (head and neck) to recover.

Saddle pads were originally used just to keep the saddle clean. The current obsession with pads, half pads, corrective pads, baby pads, etc. is new.

saddles were fit to the horse and no pad was needed. The evolution of the pad was first , just to keep saddle clean, then the fitted pads turned fuzzy, for show

Saddles back then were all wool-flocked, too, and just about any local saddler was able to reflock or adjust the flocking to fit your horse perfectly. The vast majority were what today we’d call a “TB” tree, and far more saddle trees would fit far more horses.

Part of the reason the pads have gone so diverse and hi-tech today is mass production of foam-“flocked” saddles. They’re not really adjustable, except with the advent of patented gimmicks for changing gullet size, etc.

That’s a huge part of the reason so many people need “custom fitted” high-end saddles today–back to the future!

And also the reason why I snap up vintage Stubbens. :winkgrin:

In the 1960s (when I was first showing) if you saw a horse with a saddle pad, it meant that he had a back problem. They were definitely the exception and not the norm.

If you look at the CURRENT rulebook, saddle pads are still forbidden for hunter sidesaddle classes.

HU130.5. Saddles: Must be plain English type. May have suede seat and pommel. Lining may
be leather or linen. Numnahs and saddle cloth not permitted.

In the 1960s, we only wore saddlepads for schooling, to keep the saddle clean.

Saddlepads were not worn for hunting or competition: dressage, low level eventing, jumpers, hunters, etc. (upper level eventers had to wear pads to carry weights).

Saddles didn’t fit any better then than now, but people were less aware of saddlefitting problems. If you could fit two fingers between the pommel and the withers, the saddle fit.

Fluffy saddle pads with rolled edges became all the rage for Hunters sometime in the late 60s.

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7663543]
I just got my ordered copy of Margaret Cabell Self’s “Jumping Simplified” published in 1959 I believe. In the chapter discussing showing she explains that in hunter classes where the tack and attire are judged (Corinthian classes) saddle pads are NOT ALLOWED. Why did they have this rule? It makes no sense to me…

Of course having said that, the same paragraph describes the optional “sandwich case” which, if carried, was required to contain sandwiches. So maybe expecting their rules to be practical is a stretch in the first place. Haha

But can anyone explain why saddle pads weren’t allowed??[/QUOTE]

Corinthian classes are judged on traditional hunt appointments (tack, attire, accessories, yes, even sandwiches, which had to be of a certain type with the crust removed). They’re actually very practical in the hunt field. I’m surprised you didn’t mention the string gloves under the girth. And no, a well fitted saddle with no pad will not hurt the horse. Just a very different class than your typical hunter classes today, which one could argue are not “practical.”

Even in the 50s and 60s, “show hunter” tack and attire was diverging from “field hunter” tack and attire.

The “Corinthian” classes were an attempt to have at least one class where traditional field hunting attire (which is where the sandwich case comes in) was judged.

While rarely offered in the last couple of decades, Corinthian classes were only removed from the rulebook quite recently, and there is still a reference in HU135.1

ETA that sandwich cases are VERY practical for field hunting.

[QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;7663745]

Part of the reason the pads have gone so diverse and hi-tech today is mass production of foam-“flocked” saddles. They’re not really adjustable, except with the advent of patented gimmicks for changing gullet size, etc.

That’s a huge part of the reason so many people need “custom fitted” high-end saddles today–back to the future!

And also the reason why I snap up vintage Stubbens. :winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

Today’s Stubben saddles are still made with wool flocking. Made in Switzerland, I have often thought that this high quality saddle maker is extremely under exposed in today’s hunter jumper world. This is one place you can get a truly custom saddle.

[QUOTE=Bogie;7663706]
Saddle pads were originally used just to keep the saddle clean. The current obsession with pads, half pads, corrective pads, baby pads, etc. is new.[/QUOTE]

Never saw a saddle pad in England. It was the 60’s.

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the sandwich cases and flasks needed to filled. The sandwich was to have crusts cut off and wrapped in wax paper. I believe that is why we have two dee rings on the right side of the saddle.

Why do the crusts need to be removed? Just curious.

I think it was because the bread in the older days was not Wonder Bread perfect-so you cut off the crusts to make it square and fitted into the sandwich box

I actually believe the crusts had to do with scent.

[QUOTE=marianne;7664163]
I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the sandwich cases and flasks needed to filled. The sandwich was to have crusts cut off and wrapped in wax paper. I believe that is why we have two dee rings on the right side of the saddle.[/QUOTE]

MY flask was always filled, I can promise you THAT! :winkgrin:

Name?

[QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;7664346]
MY flask was always filled, I can promise you THAT! :winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

Fun. How did the Corinthian class get its name? Is it named for the column?

Corinthian was a 19th century term for a sportsman. But I do not know why.

hard to know for sure. Corinthian can mean ornate. it is also sometimes seen in reference to an amateur sportsman.

Proper turnout for hunting also included a bridle was custom fit with the bit sewn in, not attached with buckle keeper