Unlimited access >

1990 4Star 6 Horse Head to Head with an I-Beam that needs repairing. Is it worth it?

Wanted thoughts about purchasing a 1990 4 star 6 horse head to head all aluminum. Trailer is in good shape EXCEPT. An I-Beam in between the two tires has a giant crack right by the bolts. So my question is. Is this something that can be fixed? Is it worth it? and once repaired is it safe? I’m located in GA so if it was possible to fix would have to find someone close to North West GA

This is such an important question, I think I’d photograph it (if possible) and take it --the picture- to a professional. Ideally, a pro should look at the trailer. I should think that any place that fixes semi-trailers or flatbeds would be able to give you an expert opinion. I have limited knowledge of metal, but since it is almost 30 years old, I’d wonder about the integrity of the rest of the support metal. Secondly you refer to the trailer as “all aluminum,” does that mean the I beam is aluminium? Welding aluminum is more of a challenge (I’m told) than steel. JMHO.

I agree with Foxglove totally. This requires expert opinion because of the nature of the issue and the expertise required for repair.

Depends on the asking price. This is not necessarily a difficult nor expensive repair. The “beam” may or may not need to be replaced. I doubt the ‘frame’ chassis is constructed with aluminum. All aluminum generally refers to the body and interior parts which cuts down on weight significantly.

As foxglove said if you can get a good picture of the damage and take it to a trailer repair shop they should be able to give you an estimate. They may also say that without looking at the trailer it would be difficult to give an accurate ball park number. There maybe other issues that can’t be easily seen without “opening up the can of worms” to see how many are in it. Kind of like old house renovations.

A call or email to the manufacture may give you some guidance. As I said depends on the asking price whether it is worth pursuing or not.

Aluminum welding and repair really needs to be done by a certified Aluminum facility. Contamination could lead to weld failure and you wouldn’t want that happening on a support beam in a horse trailer. I wouldn’t take it to Bob and Jeff’s Auto Body up the street for an estimate- make sure to find someone who knows their stuff.

As an aside…we have a '92 custom 5 horse 4 Star and we have never had any problems at all!! LOVE this trailer and quality. If you can get it at a good price and a good fix…I think you will love the trailer. You do need an expert opinion on the repair!

[QUOTE=Railbird;8879174]
Aluminum welding and repair really needs to be done by a certified Aluminum facility. Contamination could lead to weld failure and you wouldn’t want that happening on a support beam in a horse trailer. I wouldn’t take it to Bob and Jeff’s Auto Body up the street for an estimate- make sure to find someone who knows their stuff.[/QUOTE]

Aluminum welding not only takes a certain level of expertise it also requires expensive equipment that the average “Bod & Jeff’s” most likely wouldn’t have a need for. If they did make the expensive investment I would like to think they would also know how to use it.

There are lots of welding services around here but only one that works with aluminum. Because there is not nearly as much demand for it.

[QUOTE=gumtree;8879545]
Aluminum welding not only takes a certain level of expertise it also requires expensive equipment that the average “Bod & Jeff’s” most likely wouldn’t have a need for. If they did make the expensive investment I would like to think they would also know how to use it.

There are lots of welding services around here but only one that works with aluminum. Because there is not nearly as much demand for it.[/QUOTE]

I’m in the business- I agree that few shops are qualified. There are mobile services that have TIG welders that they’ll bring into smaller shops when they need aluminum work done, and I have found they are of varying quality regarding keeping the weld clean. My suggestion was just to OP that they check the credentials of anyone who they take the trailer to for an estimate.

I was very lucky that my good friend is a certified welder and does aluminum welding. It was actually almost impossible to find a welder until I realized that two of my friends welded aluminum. Ive sent people their way, many of who have horse trailers.

After basically redoing a whole trailers frame, I would say bring it by somewhere and have them give you a quote before you buy it. Repairing the frame was more money than I expected to spend and more than I was quoted. It was a headache even with friends giving me a cheap price on the repairs.

But wouldn’t the frame holding the axels be steel???

Yes, that’s the problem. This trailer has a metal, not aluminum frame. But you still have to get to something that you can either bolt or weld to.

[QUOTE=tobruk;8880945]
Yes, that’s the problem. This trailer has a metal, not aluminum frame. But you still have to get to something that you can either bolt or weld to.[/QUOTE]

I do not own a 4 Star but I believe you are incorrect as 4 Star uses an aluminum frame:

"Pound for pound, aluminum used in most horse trailers is only 1/3 the strength of steel, so when it is used in the frame, this has to be taken into account. Manufacturers often have to boost the amount of aluminum used in the horse trailer floor and frame to get the equal strength of a steel frame. This is why some of your better “all-aluminum horse trailers, such as 4 Star, will be the same weight, or sometimes heavier as a similar model steel built trailer”

http://www.equispirit.com/info/articles/aluminum-horse-trailers-3.htm

I believe the only steel used in a 4 Star was the coupler and axles (if it wasn’t using torsion axles) … I could be wrong

[QUOTE=Railbird;8879699]
I’m in the business- I agree that few shops are qualified. There are mobile services that have TIG welders that they’ll bring into smaller shops when they need aluminum work done, and I have found they are of varying quality regarding keeping the weld clean. My suggestion was just to OP that they check the credentials of anyone who they take the trailer to for an estimate.[/QUOTE]

“I’m in the business”

Good to know. Now I know who to PM with welding questions and or refer others to if questions are asked.

I am very much an amateur farm welder. OK with stick may not be the prettiest but gets the job done. Have a decent gas set up. I’ve played around with TIG.

[QUOTE=clanter;8881258]
I do not own a 4 Star but I believe you are incorrect as 4 Star uses an aluminum frame:

"Pound for pound, aluminum used in most horse trailers is only 1/3 the strength of steel, so when it is used in the frame, this has to be taken into account. Manufacturers often have to boost the amount of aluminum used in the horse trailer floor and frame to get the equal strength of a steel frame. This is why some of your better “all-aluminum horse trailers, such as 4 Star, will be the same weight, or sometimes heavier as a similar model steel built trailer”

http://www.equispirit.com/info/articles/aluminum-horse-trailers-3.htm

I believe the only steel used in a 4 Star was the coupler and axles (if it wasn’t using torsion axles) … I could be wrong[/QUOTE]

Good well written article on the subject IMO. Thanks for posting.

often it is not the wielding but lack of cleaning the surface prior to the wield

"Base-metal preparation: To weld aluminum, operators must take care to clean the base material and remove any aluminum oxide and hydrocarbon contamination from oils or cutting solvents. Aluminum oxide on the surface of the material melts at 3,700 F while the base-material aluminum underneath will melt at 1,200 F. Therefore, leaving any oxide on the surface of the base material will inhibit penetration of the filler metal into the workpiece. To remove aluminum oxides, use a stainless-steel bristle wire brush or solvents and etching solutions. When using a stainless-steel brush, brush only in one direction. Take care to not brush too roughly: rough brushing can further imbed the oxides in the work piece. Also, use the brush only on aluminum work-don’t clean aluminum with a brush that’s been used on stainless or carbon steel. When using chemical etching solutions, make sure to remove them from the work before welding. To minimize the risk of hydrocarbons from oils or cutting solvents entering the weld, remove them with a degreaser. Check that the degreaser does not contain any hydrocarbons. "

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/guide-aluminum-welding-detail.aspx

a person can end up with a pretty wield that isn’t worth a hoot

[QUOTE=teamwallace;8878646]
Wanted thoughts about purchasing a 1990 4 star 6 horse head to head all aluminum. Trailer is in good shape EXCEPT. An I-Beam in between the two tires has a giant crack right by the bolts. So my question is. Is this something that can be fixed? Is it worth it? and once repaired is it safe? I’m located in GA so if it was possible to fix would have to find someone close to North West GA[/QUOTE]

I would only use a tractor trailer repair shop to inspect this problem OR contact 4 Star for their opinion, they should be able to repair it too if you are inclined to go to OK

There is great stress, vibration and flex where the axle brackets bolt to the main frame, you should not just weld it back, when aluminum is welded it looses strength, this is not a chance to take in such a high stress area…
( I am assuming this is the front to back main floor frame )
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers.com
BalancedRideTrailers.com