Unlimited access >

2+1 bumper pull?

I have two 15.3ish horses and a 10.2ish pony. I have a 2-horse straight-load BP Trail-et that I LOVE. We have purchased 36 acres in Colorado, and at some point, we and the horses will be fleeing the Arizona summers.

I could haul the horses and ship the pony, but that still leaves me with no way to evacuate all 3 if I need to. (The same is true down here, of course, but -knock wood - the wildfire danger here is considerably less than it will be in CO.)

My truck is a 2013 Silverado 2500HD with 6.6l diesel, “suicide doors” and a short bed.

I have seen mention of some kind of sliding hitch that makes hailing a GN with a shortbed safer, but I think that I’d rather stick with a BP if possible.

So… does anyone make a 2+1 bumper-pull?

This seems to indicate that Eclipse does, but I’ve only found GN 2+1s in my searching. http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/remote/robb/detail.asp?ID=693279

My daughter has a gooseneck hitch for her 2013 Chevrolet Silverado with the standard “short bed.” She pulls a 2h Sundowner gooseneck with a slightly oversized dressing room that is not too much smaller than a 2+1. She is very happy with her setup. Her truck came with the larger wheel size, which mean she had to add some sort of a small extender to her hitch so the trailer would not rub on the sides of the truck. She is very happy with her setup.

Calculate the weight of everything before you buy. A 2+1 can get heavy if you start putting things in it.

[QUOTE=Risk-Averse Rider;8521587]
I have two 15.3ish horses and a 10.2ish pony. I have a 2-horse straight-load BP Trail-et that I LOVE. We have purchased 36 acres in Colorado, and at some point, we and the horses will be fleeing the Arizona summers.

I could haul the horses and ship the pony, but that still leaves me with no way to evacuate all 3 if I need to. (The same is true down here, of course, but -knock wood - the wildfire danger here is considerably less than it will be in CO.)

My truck is a 2013 Silverado 2500HD with 6.6l diesel, “suicide doors” and a short bed.

I have seen mention of some kind of sliding hitch that makes hailing a GN with a shortbed safer, but I think that I’d rather stick with a BP if possible.

So… does anyone make a 2+1 bumper-pull?

This seems to indicate that Eclipse does, but I’ve only found GN 2+1s in my searching. http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/remote/robb/detail.asp?ID=693279[/QUOTE]

That is a much longer trailer than I would want to haul with a bumper hitch. The stability especially with so little weight near the tongue on such an overall heavy trailer as the horses will be all the way in the back would not be good. Probably why you don’t see them. I towed a 3h slamt BP with a 2500 for a but and it SUCKED.

Youd be better off with something like an 18’ stock trailer to throw all three in if you can’t live with a gooseneck. You really need the stability of a goose for some of these trailer designs like a 2+1.

A 2+1 is going to be a LONG bumper pull on the back of your truck. I personally would not do it.

You’d be much safer with a gooseneck stock trailer, even in the 16’ range. I have one that has the divider in the middle making 2 8’ stalls. As my horses are all used to being together, I wouldn’t hesitate to haul 2 horses in each stall.

Since you only have 3, put the 2 horses together who get along best, or you biggest horse gets a stall to themself.

I have a short bed F250 diesel and pull a GN trailer just fine with it. I have the 4 door model and love it. I would not pull that long of a bumper pull trailer, too much sway. GN is much more stable especially in mountains. Just my 2 cents for what its worth!

Agree that it would probably be best to get a GN for a true 2+1, but Balanced Ride makes a 2 horse with a side load ramp that could probably work for your emergency type situations.

http://www.balancedridetrailers.com/Page.aspx?id=2-horse-bp-more-photos!

The trailer in that link you have is actually a 2 horse with a side unload ramp, not a true 2+1. But a 10 hand pony would definitely fit up there in an emergency. So if you don’t want to go with a GN, a two horse with a side unload ramp is probably your best bet.

Thanks, all…

I can always count on COTH to tell me the things I don’t want to hear, but need to hear. :smiley:

That looks interesting except for the heretofore unmentioned fact that one of the horses is a kicker and absolutely LOATHES the pony (and rightfully so; the pony is a little snot to him) and would happily spend the entire trip attempting the kick the bejabbers out of him (no doubt while the pony tried to chomp on his butt and legs).

Thanks, though. That was a new configuration for me.

[QUOTE=Leather;8521985]
Agree that it would probably be best to get a GN for a true 2+1, but Balanced Ride makes a 2 horse with a side load ramp that could probably work for your emergency type situations.

http://www.balancedridetrailers.com/Page.aspx?id=2-horse-bp-more-photos![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=StormyDay;8522002]
The trailer in that link you have is actually a 2 horse with a side unload ramp, not a true 2+1. But a 10 hand pony would definitely fit up there in an emergency. So if you don’t want to go with a GN, a two horse with a side unload ramp is probably your best bet.[/QUOTE]

Not something that I would want to use to transport the 3 of them from here to Colorado, then :frowning:

Thanks!

Have you considered a slant load? you could get a 7 foot wide one that would be plenty big for your horses, and a three horse slant is definitely something you could find in a bumperpull.

[QUOTE=StormyDay;8522186]
Have you considered a slant load? you could get a 7 foot wide one that would be plenty big for your horses, and a three horse slant is definitely something you could find in a bumperpull.[/QUOTE]

You can find it, but these are pretty uncommon because again, they’re wicked unstable to tow. Anything longer than about 16’ gets really unpleasant in a tagalong configuration - hard to back up, tendency to sway while pulling. Sure, you can tow a longer dead-weight trailer, but with the horses moving even a little bit and the arrangements of these trailers with dressing rooms, etc the weight is just not that well set up to keep a longer trailer stable.

I really think a stock trailer with a gate is what you want. You can get these made with the gate position whatever you want, so you can have a nice box for two and then a small box for the bitty pony.

I would rather back up a bumperpull than a gooseneck. :slight_smile:
My 3 horse slant was 12 feet long. So possibly OP could find one they like that isn’t so long it is a pain

Both of the trailers below are from the dealer/manufacturer i bought my trailer from. I was torn between a 4H GN and a 3H BP and ended up with a 4H GN to better suit my needs. One thing that stood out to me on these 3H bumper pulls is the axle placement, which helps make the trailer more stable. It can be safe if done properly. Hope this helps you.

http://www.shetroncustomtrailers.com/windowsticker.php?UniqueID=2438

http://www.shetroncustomtrailers.com/windowsticker.php?UniqueID=2445

I have an Exxis 720 SR. It’s 17’ long. I haul it with a Tundra and have had no issues with sway or instability. I frequent the hills of VT. I have it configured with two straight stalls in the rear. The front is open. I haul a driving carriage in the front. I’ve been extremely happy with it. I did order it new with upgraded tires and axle. It is roomy enough to haul two in the straight stalls and a small pony in the front where I haul my carriage.

From their web site, it looks like they no longer manufacture that model. I can find a GN Exiss 7200 SR, and a 720 ST, but not 720 SR.

[QUOTE=Misocksgal;8522465]
I have an Exxis 720 SR. It’s 17’ long. I haul it with a Tundra and have had no issues with sway or instability. I frequent the hills of VT. I have it configured with two straight stalls in the rear. The front is open. I haul a driving carriage in the front. I’ve been extremely happy with it. I did order it new with upgraded tires and axle. It is roomy enough to haul two in the straight stalls and a small pony in the front where I haul my carriage.[/QUOTE]

If all I had to worry about was hauling all three together for emergency evacuation, I’d probably just put the pony in the back seat. :winkgrin:

why not just get a 3 horse slant load bumperpull? They are readily available. TrailsWest makes one…as does Sundowner, 4Star, etc…

[QUOTE=Melissa.Van Doren;8524468]
If all I had to worry about was hauling all three together for emergency evacuation, I’d probably just put the pony in the back seat. :winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

I could have done that with my little mini, but the 10.2H pony is also about 10.2H wide… And I only have an extended cab, not a crew cab.

[QUOTE=PaulaM;8524504]
why not just get a 3 horse slant load bumperpull? They are readily available. TrailsWest makes one…as does Sundowner, 4Star, etc…[/QUOTE]

Because I really, really, REALLY like my straight load. And I’ve managed to configure it so that my kicker no longer damages the trailer or himself. I do that by wedging a thick (like 4"-6") pad between the butt bar and the ramp.

OR:

Because I am old and set in my ways.

Take your pick! :smiley: