Unlimited access >

2 Horse Trailer- Slant or Straight? Ramp or No Ramp?

We have a 52’ custom Cimmaron with 2 sliding dividers in the back (3 horse straight load). We wanted the sliding partitions (stallion gates so from floor to ceiling) as we carriage drive and when we arrive to shows we slide the gates to each wall and can put our carriage there to clean.

The tracks are amazing and are not any louder at all. They are pin dropped in and are very stable - they don’t rattle when you push on them and hardly move at all. Such an amazing option!!!

6 Likes

WOW. I couldn’t even get that down my driveway much less turn it around! Glad to hear the sliding dividers work well. I do like the idea of being able to convert to a box easily, since I use the back of my trailer as additional “living space” when camping.

1 Like

We go camping with our trailer as well (without ponies) and do slide and lock them over. Lots of space back there then! Once we slide the partitions over, we have 30’ of open space on the floor in the back area, then the LQ up front.

We can BBQ back there in bad weather (we keep the side ramp down and put a table there with a small table top BBQ and cook on those really windy/crappy days. We also have a large 10 x 20ft tent we put up outside the trailer that can be used for cooking etc too.

It double to play cards in as well! Lots of lights and is super handy. Though it is a beast for most campgrounds and we have to be fairly particular on where we go - as well as some grounds won’t even let us in as we are too long. Some horse shows too!

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has mentioned a side ramp (not a front ramp - a ramp on the side of a straight load trailer.)

I got one for my hard to load neurological giant warmblood and it is great. Horses walk up the very wide and low side ramp, do a 1/4 turn and face backwards (studies show trailering backwards is easier for them). On arrival, they just 1/4 turn again and walk down the ramp. You can open the entire area up and have one big stall, or make each side any width you like because the divider can be adjusted to any width at both ends.

https://www.equi-trek-portland.com/collections/all shows all the models - mine is equivalent to the Night Treka and has 2 bunk beds and a mini kitchen. It weighs 3000# and I tow with a 4Runner.

1 Like

Can I ask what the run price wise?

Okay this is now officially the “you’ve got to see this one” trailer ideas thread.

4-horse reverse slant walk-on/walk-off with ramps both sides.

But you really must see the thing that lifts the hay bales and flings them into the hay pod on top at 13:25!

2 Likes

Neat trailer.
You could add a folding arm to the hay lift and use it to hang a heavy saddle there, lift it, walk a horse under it and ease it on it’s back. :upside_down_face:

They start around $10k I think? The horse vans go north of $60k. Mine was something like $14,500 plus shipping

@SimonSays, if you PM me, the EquiTrek NA dealer sent me their current price sheet a couple weeks ago, and I can totally forward it to you. Or if you reach out to them they were very prompt in responding to me!

@Xanthoria, since you have the Night Treka equivalent, any chance you can comment on how hot it gets? For both horse and humans? I’m really taken with the idea of purchasing one, but I live in NC and it is quite warm here for most of the show season.

If you live in a hot climate I recommend the insulated roof and plenty of vents. I added two popup scoop vents above the horse’s hindquarters, I also have a dome vent, a Flettner vent (pulls air out for trailer when not in use, vs scooping in) a slider window at the rear of horse stall and the three windows at the head end (rear door window, and one each side of horse’s heads)

I do wish the trailer had windows that opened larger - maybe the new ones do! I can see they upgraded the tack compartment door size which is great.

I believe in letting the horses find their own balance. And they ALWAYS choose to ride facing the rear. Which is something slant-loads do not allow. Nor does tieing them up in there allow.
Here’s a photo of my trailer.

Door is 6’ wide. it closes first, then ramp comes up on the outside afterwards. ramp is 4’ long and 6’wide.

Trailer interior is 7’ tall, 13’ long and 6 1/2’ wide at the most narrow spot.

Holds three easily, and can do four average size horses
There;'s a panel that swings straight across the first 1/3 if i need to separate anyone. It can hold an average size (15.2) horse in that compartment easily.

i’ve hauled two BIG Highland bulls with fullwidth horns, i’ve hauled two dozen sheep, i’ve hauled four 15.2-16h wild and also kinda chunky mustangs and a 17.3 portly Percheron. This is an all-steel trailer with big thick plastic boards under the pads. It’s a beast!

What my trailer doesn’t allow is people to go: “Oh, how FANCY!” when i drive up lol.

2 Likes

I am loving the “horse box” I have seen them on videos from the UK but never in the US. Since I would have to buy both a pulling vehicle just for a trailer, as well as the trailer, this seems like one compact solution that wont jackknife! Anyone know how much they go for?

1 Like

Not all horses prefer riding backwards.

I think those that do is because they expect to be getting out thru the back, not because they balance any better than riding forward.
Yes, I read the long ago study in Australia that had determined thru blood work that horses hauled better, less stressed riding backwards.
Maybe some do, or maybe the stress was from other than which way they faced?

Practically all ranch horses that spend hours a day being hauled from place to place, loaded and unloaded, not tied in there, singly or several of them, seem to chose to ride slanted with front to the left, butt to the right.
That is probably because highways are crowned and the middle is higher than the sides and maybe why so many choose to ride a bit on a slant to take advantage of that to compensate with the vagaries of accelerating and stop/go driving is for them.

Two of our horses, going to move fresh cattle to water, just jumped in there, not tied, will back out on command, settled themselves like most ranch horses do, preferably over the axle/s, looking ahead, at that described slant.
They do it every day, several times a day, could move up to the front, or turn around and ride any other way they choose, but this way is their choice, that of most ranch horses in those ranch stock trailers:

1 Like

my trailer is a bit wider, it is really easy for them to turn around.

Horses can turn around in our stock trailers just fine.
Some show horses, not used to them, at first do turn and turn again, if not tied.
Even tied, nervous horses may turn around if given the chance, back and forth, until they settle.

I wonder, since we drive on the right side, horses slant a bit to the right to be more on the higher side of the crowned roads here.
In Australia and other places where they drive on the other side, if horses then, given a choice, would prefer to stand slanted to the other side?

With a slant you have to unload everybody else to get to the first horse.

Well… not necessarily! I have discovered that you can have a ramp in front of the first slant stall instead of just an escape door.

And my problems are solved. I have two requirements:

1. A small bumper pull trailer for running around locally to a vet appointment or lesson with a single horse
  2. never, ever having to back a young horse off a trailer alone again

(Yes, I know, train them to stand and wait. He’s three. We’re working on it.)

This one: https://www.happytrailstrailers.com/model-5-bp-details

It’s actually set up as a reverse slant with a double swing divider which is way overkill for me. I changed it to a regular telescoping divider so it will fit inside with the rear tack collapsed.

Now one horse can hop on from the rear and walk out the front AND I have enough storage space.

The horse can also walk up the ramp, ride backwards, and step down out the back doors. I suspect this might be how it gets used a lot…

Okay, tell me what you think about it. :smiley:

1 Like

The new trailer I have arriving very soon (yay!!!) has a ramp on the first horse stall (3H slant). It also has dividers that will open either direction…so you could unload out the back ramp, or if needed you could unload every horse out the front stall ramp. Mostly I plan to use stall 1 for hay/shavings/etc. as I usually only haul 1-2. I have a full divider on stall 1, so I can use that for storage…or a horse.

1 Like

A friend has Hawk Model #105 and it’s a super nice trailer!!! https://www.hawktrailers.com/bumper-pull.php

That is a nice looking trailer. Not the style I’d be looking for, but a nice trailer. I’m a LONG way from being able to upgrade my trailer, but it’s never too early to be looking for options.