Unlimited access >

2021 Breedings - Post your pairings!

Here we go! :crazy_face:

I am breeding my 2016 ASHA mare to Finest (Furstenball x Wie Weltmeyer). So excited! Foal will be black and incredibly typey - hopefully a future amateur Dressage rider’s superstar! :heart_eyes:

(pic of my mare is of her about 60 days under saddle as a 3 yr old)

Finest

4 Likes

What a nice mare! I’m excited for you.

I think we might have had a thread going on this already, but I’m always excited to talk babies, so I’ll share anyway. Lol.

My mare SAS Arielle will be bred to Major Mac V this spring. I’m breeding for the Arabian working western divisions, primarily ranch horse and cow horse classes, so my goals and bloodlines are a wee bit different than most here. :smiley: I deliberately chose a stallion for this crossing who is a bit of an outcross (no Xenophonn/Hesa Zee or *Kordelas, and only one line to Khemosabi) compared to what’s popular in these classes today because I’m trying to get a “keeper” filly and wanted to have lots of options for her future matches. This foal will also have no lines to *Padron, Bey Shah, or Gazal al Shaqab, which is getting VERY hard to find in Arabs in general!

Arielle is tiny (13.2), which comes as no surprise when you look at her pedigree (https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sas+arielle)! She’s about 28% *Raffles - and 35% Skowronek! - by blood. She’s very correct and has a TON of substance for just a little thing. She’s also extremely athletic and super, super sweet, and she consistently passes those traits on to her foals. She is a mare who tends to basically clones herself with every foal, and I’d be thrilled to get a carbon copy of her. I’m hoping, though, to add a little size and a bit more modern type with this match. We’ll see! This foal will be either bay (75%) or black (25%). I’ll be happy with either, as long as it’s a filly! Lol. A little chrome would also be nice, but Arielle is a serious chrome killer, so I’m not holding my breath on that.

3 Likes

Lovely girls! @Montanas_Girl, who is Arielle bred to for this year’s baby? (I’m following you on the foal watch thread, too, but maybe I missed you saying it there)

1 Like

@JBCool, her 2021 foal is by Shiner Dun It (https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shiner+dun+it). The foal will be a full sibling to my coming-three year old filly (photo below) and also to Arielle’s first foal, TCR Automaticaly Dunit +/ who, last I checked, had something like 15+ Regional Top Five or better awards to his name, almost all achieved with a youth rider. This will be the first foal for which I’m the official breeder, but I actually bought my palomino filly as a custom foal. I love her so much that I jumped at the chance to buy Arielle when the offer came!

1 Like

My favorite TB mare Shezagreatgal (Albert The Great) is back in foal to Saketini (Bernardini) for 2021. Sheza has had 3 amazing Saketini foals, and I thought about crossing her with a WB stallion this year, but as nice as her 2021 colt is…I just had to make another one. She caught on her foal heat (despite retaining placenta for 8hrs), so she will be due in January 2022. Such a nice mare…pretty to look at, easy to breed, lovely to handle, earned 100k and super mover.

Entice (Cherokee Run) is booked to Enticed (Medaglia D’Oro) at Darley. I love this son of MDO, he has great balance and his first crop hits the ground this year. Entice is similar in type, big framed mare, a bit long so maybe he can shorten her a little. Her 2021 St Patrick’s Day colt is a stunner, and huge, so we should get something like that next year. Enticed has a lot of support from Darley, so he should have some nice foals out there that sell well.

Bella Veloche (Sightseeing) had a nice, if small, filly by Saketini. She was a maiden, though, and I’m told she was a small foal herself (and grew up to 16.2). I am considering breeding her for a WB cross, but then again when Saketini is in my backyard for free it’s hard to justify the added expense of AI and possible multiple doses needed.

Bodacious Barb (Agnes Gold JPN) is due in late April with her St Patrick’s Day foal. She will probably go to Astern (AUS), also by MDO at Darley. Astern’s first foals are 2yos; his Australian crop just hit the track and seem to be doing well. He had a couple VERY nice 2yos at OBS sale last week, one brought $90k and the other $120k. Barb is G3 placed on turf, earned 130k, so Astern could be a good match to make a dirt or turf runner.

New mare, Jazils Dream (Jazil) is also due in late April to St Patrick’s Day. She’s a nice mare, earned 100k in 10 starts, but not very commercial pedigree. She will be bred to Saketini for 2022.

Could Be For Real (West Acre) is going to be a recip mare for my vet. No more devil colts from her!

Mom’s Image (Stormy Atlantic) slipped her pregnancy last year at 35 days and was unable to get back in foal. She will be bred back to Saketini this year, fingers crossed we have better luck.

3 Likes

Looks like you’ll have the thread mostly to yourself again next year! :laughing:

1 Like

My Graf Top I x Sir Caletto mare was confirmed in foal to Casquino today!

6 Likes

Nice!! Congrats weixiao!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Congratulations, @weixiao!

1 Like

I’m halfway through the 2-week-wait on a Checkmate X Widmark. Hoping like mad for a black dot, as this was already the second try.

And this week we’re breeding my heart horse (Riverman x Consul) to Toronto. Fingers crossed that horses and FedEx cooperate.

7 Likes

I have good news to update. Sneaky mare Moms Image was bred March 3, vet said not in foal on the 2 week check and it looked like she was working on a hemorrhagic follicle. But she hadn’t teased back in after 6 weeks (!) so I had the vet take a look…and she is indeed pregnant. Sometimes you get pleasant surprises!

Client mares have all been bred, and most of them are in foal to new stallion Gunnevera. He earned 5.5M and should make some nice runners, but also a really good type for sport too.

5 Likes

Anyone have any updates on their breedings/checks?

Mine decided to NOT ovulate on her last cycle (insert choice curse words here), so thank goodness I wasn’t intending to breed on that cycle, sheesh… Plans have been pushed back to make sure she’s on track and cycling well, we’re re-checking on June 4th and hopefully if all looks good we will short cycle and breed her then. Aiming for a mid-to-late May baby.
My barn manager is also breeding her mare and so we’re hoping to “sync them up” by short cycling mine and we will haul them to the vet clinic (20 min away) to be bred together. I am so excited, it’s been sooooo long since my last foal, I am jonesing. :heart_eyes:
Recent pic of my girlie who is in active Dressage training atm:

1 Like

Glad your mares are in foal.

It will be interesting to see what Gunnevera gets. He’s a good looking horse and a good racehorse.

Yes I’m looking forward to what he produces. I’m a fan of Mineshaft & Dialed In. I wasn’t a huge Gunnevera fan while he was running, but he danced every big dance all over the country
(& Dubai). Seeing him in person with 5 trips to the breeding shed made me really like him. He would look right at home down any 5* jog strip, super leggy, short backed, uphill and 16.3+. Even after all those tough stakes races his legs are tight and clean. Seems to be a quiet, good minded horse as well.

I’m happy to announce that Entice is in foal to Enticed (MDO), about 45 days. And Ultimate Class, who has a really strong runner in 4yo Bad Beat Brian (by Jack Milton), is in foal to another son of War Front, the hot young sire Omaha Beach.

Bodacious Barb is counting days on a cover by Astern (by MDO). My last two to get in foal are Bella (who has been a problem this year) and Jazil’s Dream, who just foaled 5 days ago and plan to breed on foal heat. Both are going to Saketini for sport foals in 2022.

3 Likes

I like Astern and of course your Saketini. Good luck with your remaining mares!

My 2WW ends Monday, when I find out if my 6 yo KWPN mare (Everglade VDL (Kashmir Van het Shuttershof x Indoctro) x Marlon) is in foal to Schroeder (Sandro Hit x Escudo). So nervous! Hoping for a hunter/dressage foal with excellent character. My mare was intended for competition and was training beautifully after a very successful show season last year, until she slipped on the ice and got a high soft tissue injury. Since she needed 6 months of Dr. Green, I just decided to put her on “maternity leave”. So Instead of going out at Second/Third Level this year, I have one that is now 3 weeks under saddle…but he’s amazing so I can’t complain!

My mare is mostly jumper-bred, but her dad won the YJC and is now a Junior Hunter doing well at indoors, and Schroeder is a GP dressage horse but strong jumper lines, so the baby could go either way.

My new young horse is out of a Schroeder mare, so he and the baby will be cousins of a sort!

3 Likes

@fordtraktor, did your mare check in foal?

I dropped my mare and foal off at the repro clinic yesterday morning. It was day 9 post-foaling, and I was really hoping for a weekend/foal heat breeding. Unfortunately, it looks like she had already ovulated, so now they’ll have to stay at the clinic for her to be short-cycled so we can try again. I hate breeding this late in the year! Fingers crossed we can get her on the first insemination, especially since she carried this year’s foal 379 days.

Nope, she is back at the vet too being short-cycled and will hopefully be bred next week. Of course Memorial Day complicates things! Fingers crossed for us both!

Good luck!

My OTTB mare, Gitanilla, was confirmed in foal to AQHA There’s No Telling for an April 2022 foal. There were two but the smaller one was successfully reduced. Now banamine and regumate and recheck in a couple of days. I’m really excited about this pairing and hoping to get a hunter from this cross.

4 Likes