Unlimited access >

2021: LF worth the experience?

I’m vaguely considering the LF 3day for the fall. For years it has been on my bucket list, and I finally have a horse qualified. But it’s also an intimidating prospect for someone who usually shows locally and alone. For those who have done it, I have a few questions:

Was it a worthwhile stand-alone experience, given that it doesn’t really fall into today’s FEI structure anymore?

How did you put together a support team–did you look for people already going, or recruit friends?

How much more challenging was the D phase than the typical XC for the level? Would you recommend doing a lower level? (My horse is qualified at P, but could also do M or T)

Thanks for any thoughts. I’d need to step up our program pronto!

Yes I think it’s a really good experience. But also I did not end up making it to a CCI so I feel like it gave me the FEI experience without the added expenses, plus some extra education.

I went by myself. My friend came on xc day and groomed for me in the box, then left after xc. There are usually extra volunteers/ people willing to help if you ask. With one horse I did not really feel like I needed a groom the rest of the time although having someone to hang out with would have been nice.

I did the Waredaca T3D. It was the hardest training I’ve ever done and I have done most of the ones in MD/ SE PA and NOVA. There were several Training sized Prelim questions (water to water, ditch to skinny, jump with pretty big drop, angled combination etc.) But most of it did have options, however if you did the easier options the time was much harder to get. You definitely need to be legit at the level, not green.

I did a bunch of LF at Prelim back before the short format came around and doing a true event with all the phases is definitely something that everyone should do IMHO. I’ve done the Waredaca T3D and N3D since then and have my eye laser focused on the BN or N 3D there next year with my new horse. They put on a class event with lots of education and help. Its honestly the thing that drives me to keep eventing. Once you do a long format, you’ll never go back! The courses are fair but agree with Highflyer1 that they are legit to the level.

I fully support you doing it. I had just one helper for xc and it worked out fine. There are lots of folks who are happy to lend a hand if you need one and everyone is super friendly, so lots of folks to hang out with. Waredaca does evening dinners and lectures so lots of learning and opportunity to meet new friends.

DO IT!

1 Like

Oh, it’s so worth it. I did T3D with both my horses before they moved up to Preliminary and Modified. It really teaches them to be “dragon slayers” on XC after they do all the fitness work and enjoy the thrill of Steeplechase. The folks who guide you through the week are always wonderful, so they will be there for the entire experience. My favorite part is how much it grew my relationship with my horses- they both loved the training and the event.

On the practical side, my horses both were very warmed up and game for XC, so they ran “D” great. I thought it was at the Area Championships level of difficulty. Horses are usually typically very keen after Steeplechase.

For your crew, see if you can find one friend to chief your 10 minute box and then ask for volunteers on the event facebook page or when you get there. Lots of people love to do it! If it’s not super hot, you don’t need a huge crew. Which one are you aiming for?

A few other tips, practice your jogs. Particularly in the fall, that Sunday morning one in crisp weather is always exciting, so good to be prepared.

Have I mentioned I love long format 3Days??? I did one this summer and had a blast.

I did a lower level long format in 2018 (BN3D). Overall it was a great experience for me and my horse. It was the first time it was offered in this area and I had a baby 6 months before, so I guess I used it as something to look forward to after getting in the saddle. Not sure I recommend that part :wink:

I got my conditioning program from a friend who ran one and my only mistake was that I followed a T3D one so my horse was a bit over fit which made for some interesting dressage work and an exhausting phase A. I just asked friends to help me in the vet box, and paid them in booze. I found that, at least for this event, the D phase was the same course as the area championship being run the same weekend. Steeplechase was super fun and it really is true how different XC rides after you do that.

The only thing that would keep me from running one again was the person doing the education. She changed the meeting times last minute (which a was hard for someone who was still pumping AND doing all their own horse care), she was unorganized while going over our R&T course (got us lost) which made it really confusing for a first timer, and mean and belittling when she did our steeplechase schools (yelled at me for not having studs in…for BN…before she ever saw my horse go).

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It is Waredaca I was considering.

1 Like

I did it twice at N. My horse was older so this was out big thing, she was never going to move past N. I had some issues caused by Waredaca (where I did mine) but the concept is great. I think the course was solid for the level, we had a ditch and wall N sized but it honestly rode great, and my 2nd year I actually had speed faults on my 23 year old horse! Drama aside, it was a fabulous memory with my horse.