Unlimited access >

2022 USEF Eventing Tests

New tests are out (scroll down): https://useventing.com/events-competitions/resources/dressage-tests

I like having an additional test at Modified and above, although we will see if Organizers utilize them or not.

Thoughts on the Prelim tests: I was hoping the dreaded canter lengthening on a 20m circle would go away…but at least now they are calling it a ‘lengthening’ instead of ‘medium’. Also interesting to see a rein back in the middle of the arena (at L), vs. at C. Free walk on a half circle is cool, however I don’t like that it’s only a half diagonal now in the small arena tests.

Other thoughts?

I think the tests are a lot harder, things come up faster and more transitions. I love them. I hope everyone is planning on working on their dressage this winter :wink:

3 Likes

Did anyone else catch that the BN-Training tests can now be ridden in the small or large arena? I didn’t catch that the first time looking. Wonder if any shows will put the lower levels in a large arena?

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed that. I think a lot of venues will keep the small arenas as the tests take less time.

Interesting that the collective marks have been reduced from 4 different comments/scores to a single one, but with double points. I like that gaits have been removed from the collective marks, but I’m not sure what I think about a single score.

I’m not sure I’m a fan of the new Novice A. I’ll have to see how it rides, but seems like there is a lot going on. I think the new Beginner Novice tests are just mirror images of the current ones, but switched (i.e. new BN A is a mirror image of current BN B). I guess the committee ran out of new ideas by the time they got down to BN. Lol.

1 Like

I had forgotten about removing the collective marks and switching to just one with a double coefficient.

I am OK with this as I’ve had some puzzling marks this year where the collectives have been lower than most of the scores received for the individual movements, or vice versa. Hopefully this simplifies it?

Thank you for sharing the link @Carried_Away.

1 Like

Aw, I kind of liked the collective marks. I always found the comments and scores there insightful. I don’t really know how I feel about this single score with double points. I like the “harmony” component.

Can’t wait to ride some of these this spring. I have one I’m hoping to move to Training, and my baby filly is five and should be making her BN debut this year.

I like that the BN ones are very similar to their 2018 ones, looks like they just changed A to have canter at E/B instead of trot at E/B. I really loved that test, I think it was my favorite one of all the BNs I’ve ever ridden. It flows very well and is very generous to green horses.

1 Like

I think we use the US tests in Canada…I hope they do. I think they will be more challenging. More riding on single movements. Love it.

I agree on the BN tests - they are fair.

I think the reason the collectives changed to Harmony of Athlete and Horse is to mirror the FEI tests, although I agree sometimes more comments in that section can be insightful. We will see how the judges choose to use it!