Unlimited access >

27 vs 29 ft Trailer - Will I Notice a Difference?

So I’m in the early preliminary stages of shopping for a new LQ trailer. The floor plan I like is 27 ft on the floor. But the nicer version with a more usable kitchen and bathroom is about 29 ft on the floor. Ideally, I’d like to keep the trailer “small” and maneuverable. However, with 27 ft as baseline, I feel like it’s already a boat, and I wonder if I’ll even notice a 2 ft difference. Thoughts?

Anyone regret going too large? Or think you should have upgraded? How big was your trailer before you felt encumbered getting in and out of parking spots? How small was your trailer before you felt it was maneuverable?

Primary use for the trailer will be horse camping with three people, total. We are fairly adventurous, but we don’t really do backcountry. Typical trips will be long weekends, with occasional trips up to 10 days. Secondary use will be overnight shows.

Last time I had my own trailer, it was a 2h bumper pull. I also hauled a 28 ft trailer for work, but that was a few decades ago. Currently hauling my friend’s 2+1, which is somewhere around 24ish.

My truck can handle either floor plan with no trouble.

2 Likes

Every foot after 26 you will notice a big difference. I am 26 and would want absolutely nothing bigger, no way no how.

You can ask the trailer company where they put the axles on the different lengths, as that is where the real difference is.

3 Likes

Good point! Hadn’t thought of that, but I’ll ask about the axles. Thanks!

Is this anecdotal or ? I’m honestly curious because I’ve hauled a 28’ GN (floor length) and it was neither fun nor easy. I mean getting in and out of my own farm would be a bitch, tbh. However I need to upgrade my trailer game eventually and while I’d love a small(er) h2h, I’m not seeing many that are under that and may do a 2+1 instead.

ETA: I’ve hauled both larger GNs and wee older 2H BPs, and everything in between. I remember a 16’ GN stock trailer being the easiest. There was just too much of a time gap between them all to say at what length it became a pain.

2 Likes

I originally wanted my 2+1 with a mid tack, which would have put it at 28’. The dealer talked me out of it, and I am so so so glad he did. With my 26’, with a long bed CC truck - I am 51’ feet long overall.

I can just barely make it into a normal width driveway, as long as it’s got at least a tiny apron on the end.

Well I pulled a GN with a 30 foot deck for 14 years, and it wasn’t too difficult. I don’t think you’d notice the difference much between 27 or 29 foot deck. The DH, a former long distance tractor trailer driver, says… “The longer they are, the easier they are to back up”. (because everything happens slower). I found this to be true. Yes, they will drop in more on a turn, but once you are accustomed to that, one makes allowances for this. If you have cramped conditions, a long one is going to be more of a problem for you, and it may be best to keep the deck size smaller. But if you usually have decent room to move your rig around in, if you LIKE or NEED or WANT the longer deck, I wouldn’t let an extra 2’ scare me away. I’m pulling a 16 foot deck again now, and it’s tough to not jack knife it when backing up… everything happens so fast.

3 Likes

Agree on that, my little dump trailer is an absolute chore.

I have a short bed truck on purpose, but my ex had a long bed and it was his (“our” but I made him take it in the divorce) big trailer, and I hauled to a vet clinic once that required a left to leave (other way was a dead end) on a narrow drive with a freakin power pole on the left side of the drive at the road. Sooo much suckage. I had to nearly put the truck into the ditch on the opposite side of both the drive and the road to get out. I’d rather have two less feet in the bed and watch the cab on tight turns than a long bed truck ever again. Never. Again.

4 Likes

I got the truck long before I got the trailer, and use it for lots of other stuff so needed the long bed.

The long bed isn’t bad as long as you don’t have a full size crew cab to go along with it. I never have passengers so that’s the biggest waste on the overall length.

Here is a picture of my truck and trailer. Axles are pretty far forward on the trailer, and I still would not want it even a tiny bit longer. It’s a PITA on turns, and a PITA getting into tighter show grounds.

So much so that I have a little 2H bumper pull that I use on short hauls and to go trail riding with.

6 Likes

Pretty rig!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s so fun to show and camp out of!

1 Like

I think it 100% depends on what you are comfortable driving. I drove professionally for a while and had no trouble driving a huge trailer wherever (if you want a driving test, back a 6H trailer through the Devon Show Grounds on arrival day lol)
But… for my own personal trailer, I’m in the process of selling my LQ and going back to a BP and a tent. So much easier all around

4 Likes

I have had 5 LQ trailers over the years, of various lengths, and don’t think you’ll notice a 2’ difference in length.

BUT, that being said…

The longest trailer I have had was 28’ on the floor, with a 13’ LQ, which was too long for my liking. Some of the campgrounds I got into were tight, but even worse were the roads getting to many campgrounds.

There are a couple things you can do though to maximize the space in a shorter trailer.

1. Go 8’ wide. It is a HUGE difference over 7’ or 6’9” wide. It is amazing how much of a difference that makes.

2. Get a trailer with a slide. I have a 10’ short wall trailer with a 6’ slide that has the dinette on it. It seems like a dance hall inside with the slide out!

3. Get a trailer with a walk through door to the horse area, and insulate the horse area. That way you can get to your destination, clean out the rear and either heat or cool it. Use that space for the duration of your stay as added living area.

This is a picture of my current rig, and I honestly could go shorter. I bought this to give my husband and I more room, as we also camp with 2 dogs, but my husband has not been able to go along in the 2 years since I bought it, and we lost a dog in July.

I will say this trailer pulls really well with a one ton cab and chassis, and is a handy size to get in and out of places at 24’ on the floor.

6 Likes

Here is the REAL challenge with these big rigs - getting in and out of a gas station, especially the diesel pump. Yes in Alabama you can hit a Buck-ees, or a truck stop with multiple pumps but I have found as I pass into Georgia or Tennessee these just don’t exist in some areas. I am not towing anything quite that big but some of these areas with older stations just do not allow for a long truck and trailer. And there aren’t any alternatives in that area. I always start my road trips with a full tank but eventually the fuel has to be replaced. I don’t know how you are fitting in some of the gas stations. I have a small dent on the side of my trailer trying to exit with a right turn that I thought was adequate room and mine is not nearly as long as some of yours. I think I would freak out trying to gas up those rigs.

4 Likes

I always look for a truck stop. I live close to an interstate and travel the interstates more than anything else when traveling. I have learned over the years to never let the truck get below a 1/4 tank, and not to take truck stops for granted.

Now, if you tow with a gas engined truck, that is a whole ‘nother issue as there are no gas pumps where the big trucks fuel at truck stops.

There is a new Buc-ee’s here in TN, and I stopped to have one of their brisket sandwiches I heard so much about, and was not pulling a trailer that day. I wouldn’t want to attempt it with a trailer as there was so much chaos going on!

6 Likes

This was ours the day it came home, he promptly declared the truck too small and traded for a quad cab dually… My debt load dropped by $90k when he bought that whole rig off me😉

7 Likes

I’ve never understood those who prefer gassers, for this reason. I’ve never seen a gasoline pump on the truck side.

1 Like

Location matters! I’m in New England, and there are plenty of horse farms that a long rig simply cannot get into unless you know for an absolute fact that there is a turn around open and usable at the far end of the driveway. Nor can lawn care companies, who are forever parking on the roadside and tend to use 16 or 20’ trailers and still don’t fit into residential driveways. More than once I have seen the LQ’s (or the equally long campers/toy haulers) backing and filling, backing and filling, backing andd…you get the picture.
Yes, you can get a 53’ freightliner in a 10’ wide, no apron driveway. But only if you are really good at it and willing to take up the entire road.
However, New England’s issues are generally not a problem elsewhere! OP where are you?

4 Likes

The reason I hear from most is people do not want to spend the extra money for a diesel engine.

But, these are the same people who will complain that their gas engine tow vehicle gets 6 mpg when towing.

6 Likes

Just FYI since you said you were looking for a H2H without being over 28’ - I just got a 2+2 (a 4 horse without the center box) with a 5" tack room and it’s 27’ on the floor.

Definitely a little more of a pain to drive and park than my previous 2+1, but the extra space is nice.

2 Likes

Wow, this is awesome. Love seeing everyone’s rigs! And you all brought up things I would have taken for granted with my previous rigs, or not thought to consider with a bigger one.

I’m going to sit down and do some serious thinking about my current and future needs before getting set on either floor plan. I’m in MN, which is pretty open, with mostly wide and accessible roads and driveways. Truck is an F350, diesel, shortbed.

I did a ton of horse camping with my previous horse, then I sold him and was out of the game for about 10 years. Since I got the new horse, we’ve gone on several day rides and one weekend trip. Had a blast, but those trips very much confirmed that I don’t enjoy “roughing it” as much at 40 as I did at 20. :rofl: I want a comfy bed and an electrical hookup.

Another goal is reducing setup time. Right now we pack all our camping stuff into the tack room of the 24 ft trailer, then unpack everything so we can use the space. It’s actually quite a nice space, with AC, but setup is like a 3 hour operation. Would love to have a space that stays permanently set up. The attraction of the larger floor plan is that everyone has their own bed, with enough space to hang out indoors if it’s raining.

The nice thing is we can always use the smaller trailer for shorter outings. I can definitely see the appeal of having a more maneuverable rig. Getting into and out of campsites is a real concern. All my local favorites are pretty easy, but we do plan to camp more out of state, so that’s a wild card.

1 Like