Unlimited access >

3'3-3'9 Possibly Higher Jumper Prospect

After realizing that the one horse I was looking at seriously probably won’t work as well for what I want, I wanted to see what you guys think about this mare.

JC Name: Let’s Try Another
Notable Pedigree: AP Indy, Seattle Slew, Secretariat, Bold Ruler, Northern Dancer, Mr Prospector.
Breed: TB

“Lola” had 34 starts and raced soundly, however she did not win a single race so she was retired due to not being competitive. She is bold to fences and has been worked to 3’3 singles with no issue what so ever. I was wondering if you guys thought she would make a good 3’3-3’9 show jumper prospect, possibly higher.

Pictures:

Videos:
https://youtu.be/cyvPmPfkRNs
https://youtu.be/vg1V4Auz_lA
https://youtu.be/2f7SH49KEXE

I like this one a lot better. She still has a little concave bump around her SI area in the confo pic I would have checked out to make sure it isn’t sore but that might be muscling/weight and nothing, just something I would investigate. it isn’t noticeable in her action shots. her overall balance is a ton better, much more attractive horse, cute canter. Her trot in the first vid might have been a little hitchy behind but that might have just been track soreness if she wasn’t long off the track there (doesn’t look like she was since she was doing tiny tiny Xrails then) so very possibly nothing to worry about. I would make sure to PPE her and to verify she’s sound.

Like this one, think it is a nice prospect for what you want. It jumps cute.

34 races is a lot of wear and tear that may show up later. But if she’s sound then that not an issue. I would go overboard with the PPE exam though. xrays of all the majors and the feet. All the basics that have been covered a million times here.

Thank you so much. I plan to get a PPE done, hopefully with stifle and hock xrays at the least. She was sound throughout her entire career which gives me a good impression.

I like her. I would agree on a good PPE solely based on the number of starts, but she looks like a nice type. My horse has Gone West as a grandsire and the general opinion is they have good brains, and I would concur with that.

She is very cute

I like her a lot. She has similar conformation to my 8 yo ottb mare (same color actually) and within 6 months of trainer she was comfortably doing 3’3" lines and 6 months after that she breezes around 3’6" courses. Of course every horse is different and there is no guarantee but from the pics of her free jumping she looks very promising. By no means am I a trainer though!

[QUOTE=BostonHJ;8503408]
I like her. I would agree on a good PPE solely based on the number of starts, but she looks like a nice type. My horse has Gone West as a grandsire and the general opinion is they have good brains, and I would concur with that.[/QUOTE]

My (18) year old OTTB grandsire is Gone West :wink: I will say he doesn’t the best brain ever. Pretty hot at times. He also is shaped like a banana, always has been. Scopey but doesn’t pick up his knees. Also has a shorter stride.

Do a PPE, def xray stifles/hocks. Nice to know if/what any kind of arthritis is going on.

[QUOTE=anicolle;8504090]
My (18) year old OTTB grandsire is Gone West :wink: I will say he doesn’t the best brain ever. Pretty hot at times. He also is shaped like a banana, always has been. Scopey but doesn’t pick up his knees. Also has a shorter stride.

Do a PPE, def xray stifles/hocks. Nice to know if/what any kind of arthritis is going on.[/QUOTE]

Too funny! My horse is coming 7 and one of the quietest/laziest horses that I’ve ever met. Even when he’s his version of fresh, hot is not a word I would ever use. Has a big step once you get him going and a great front end in the air. The back end… We’re working on that :slight_smile:

I like her a lot. She’s putting in 0 effort over the fences in your video. I would ask the sellers if I could see her go through a gymnastic and raise the back fence to the point she has to make an effort. Even a green horse can jump one or two 3’6" to 4’ fences at the end of a gymnastic. That’s all you need to see to know if she’s moderately careful.

She’s definitely athletic enough, but careful is another story.

Look, this race record would make me pull some funds for a fairly sizeable vetting.

It’s not the worst record I have ever seen, not at all, but there are issues among it.

The DNF is not great, and the turnaround time between the DNF and her next start and the fact that her next start was her last start doesn’t exactly point to happy things. This mare had been consistent and was going along well and then something changed. Could have been a preference to the surface at Mountaineer versus Mahoning.

When she was doing well she ran towards the front or at least mid pack. In her last 5 starts she was at the back and laboring. This is not great news.

You’d have to convince me with the vetting that her lungs and heart are doing well. Because this kind of shift can be soreness sure, but it often comes back a change with being able to physically run at speed. Wind issues and other things can change things.

To be clear I am not saying that her race record implies she can do nothing but stand in a field and eat, but I would work hard with a vet to REALLY check her over if she is the end all be all horse of your dreams.

Race record: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8983524&registry=T

Emily

I wouldn’t over analyze the race record. I would look at the horse for what it is. definitely check for wind issues, but a jumper has very different demands put upon them than a racehorse.

By all means get a proper vetting ANY time when you are looking for a sport horse prospect, but 34 starts could mean a little wear and tear or it could also mean that the horse is tough as nails.

I’ve seen many cases where the record does NOT accurately reflect what is going on with a horse in any manner that should influence a potential buyer who is looking for a sport horse prospect. IME, racehorse that have a NQR issue that affected their racing are usually easily identifiable.

Hey! How’s it going with the new mare? I’m assuming the PPE went well? I hope she’s coming along nicely! Seemed like a lot of potential there!