Unlimited access >

3yr old OTTB training

Hi!

This is my first post here. I was interested in getting different opinions on retraining a 3 yr old OTTB.

I just purchased a 3 yr old filly from CANTER. She actually has never been started as her owners said she was too slow during the workouts to even race. Due to that, she has been sitting for approx. 3 months. It sounds like they hacked her inconsistently at most. The owner also says she has been fully started under saddle at W/T/C before they got her- since there is no riding at the track, I couldnā€™t confirm that.

Regardless, I want to take it very slow with her and avoid having a timeline. I would like to focus on lunging/ground manners for about 4 weeks before I start her under saddle. I wanted to see what other experiences people had had with working with a younger OTTB. Especially once we start under tack, how often and what kind of work do people like to do? And is there an adjustment timeline from the track that people like to stick to? Thanks for any and all insight :slight_smile:

(Side note: I do have experience training OTTBsā€™ but have never done it with any horse under 6)

I think itā€™s important to let the horse tell you what they are ready for but if you follow Denny Emerson on Facebook he talks alot about his way of starting young horses (which I think is great advice to follow - lots of low stress, exposure opportunities, basically no ring work). With my mare she had 3 days (MWF) of hacking - all around the property, on trails, through obstacles, around and in the covered arena building up to (over the course of 3 months more formal ring work - and even then, the ā€œworkā€ part only lasted about 20 min) and then we did one day of ground work on the weekend (could be lunging, following my lead, practicing loading,etc). Good luck and keep us posted :slight_smile: She was 3.5 going on 4ā€¦

I love following Denny on Facebook, his posts are always great!

I got my mare off the track at the end of March as a just turning 4 year old. I did a lot of ground work with her. I got out to see her every day, but only sat on her back 3 times a week max. The rides werenā€™t anything too complicated, mostly just hacking around the property, being in the ring with other horsesā€¦we worked a lot on stopping and standing, just kind of chilling out from track life. She always had a good attitude, but i found it was more of her body needing recovery. She was sold as sound and uninjured, but definitely moved like a track horse - very very tight and up and down in her movements. Lots and lots of walking and stretchy work later, she is much more supple and loose in her body, specifically the back and shoulder.

In June I moved to a different barn to work with a trainer and we now are actually ā€œworkingā€ under saddle. I have 2 lessons a week and ride on my own 2-3 days, for a total of 5 days max of riding. One of those days is reserved exclusively for just hacking around. Weā€™re now at w/t/c and jumping very very VERY small cross rails. It helps that I trust my trainer 100% and know she wonā€™t push past the what the horse is ready for. I think itā€™s all about listening to your horse and letting them tell you what they are ready for.

Wish I had some ā€œfirst startedā€ photos, but here is where weā€™re at now:
Undersaddle:
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s620/ilovewine/zinunderssadle_zpstwob48te.jpg

First time jumping!: http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s620/ilovewine/zinjump_zps0aos9pmh.jpg

I have two three year old OTTBs right now. They are both just hanging out in the field. We might play with them a bit later this fall but may just wait until next spring. I have a 4 year old who I had bought as a 3 year old last year. He was restarted in the winter, got more time off, back in light work this summer. Played with him over jumps but still just mostly hacking out. I rarely ride him more than 3-4 times a week. I expect him to start eventing next year and be running training by fall next year. No need to drill on them at this age of you want them to last long.

This is is my normal program. I know others do more quicker but Iā€™ve found you end up the same place.

If they racedā€¦like all of mine hadā€¦they all will have been w/t/c under saddle. But each is different. Most have been pretty easy but getting them to relax and in a steady rhythm is the first goal. But because of their age, I donā€™t want them doing circles or stuck in. So getting them out walking on the hills is my first priority. If they feel fairly safe in the ringā€¦we go out of the ring pretty damn quickly. Either that first ride or two. Some you can tell were well startedā€¦and others need more basics. But I personally donā€™t do tons and tons of ground work with them unless there is an issue.

I got a race trained but unraced 3yo in December, so heā€™s 4 now. He was retired for being slow and unwilling to get in the gate. I didnā€™t get to ride him or see him ridden. We just pulled him from the field, trotted him back and forth in hand and he moved ok and wasnā€™t a lunatic leaving his friends so I took him.

He had 30 days in a field before I got him. He was at a training farm and not the track, although he was at PARX for a short time I believe.

I gave him a day or two to settle in and then right got on him. He was rather skinny (and wormy), but I figured heā€™d benefit from some easy riding to build up some new muscle.

It was winter and gross out, so mostly I rode him in the indoor 3-4 times a week. I didnā€™t do much, just some walk and trot and a little canter. His canter was extremely unbalanced, but he improved quickly so I tried 2-3 laps each lead every ride. I can now do canter circles, but that was a long time coming and we had to start in the outdoor to have more room. I also did a 30 minute lesson once a week that was more walking than anything else. After a month I moved it to a 1 hr lesson once a week.

Most of our early rides were pretty easy. I worked on him understanding my commands and what I wanted. At first I was really trying to get a consistent rhythm instead of him going faster and slower at different points in the ring. I did mostly walk and trot, and tried working on steering. I steered around obstacles. Our turns were horrible and they are getting better, but still weak. I lose his outside shoulder a lot, so we work on that at the walk and the trot.

One thing I work on a lot, is having him go on a totally loose rein with no change of speed. He likes balancing on your hands, so Iā€™m trying to get him to balance himself. I love to see a little improvement each time I ride him.

My guy had a reasonable understanding that leg means go faster, so we worked a lot at the walk on understanding laterals and not speeding up with lateral pressure. Then we moved it to the trot.

This fellow is the quietest, least spooky horse in the world, but he is internally anxious. We did basic pole work in the beginning, but it took a long time for him to understand it. We would walk up to a single ground pole and heā€™d hit it. With all 4 feet somehow. Trotting was the same. He hit it. He stepped ON it. And at the trot the anxiety ramped up. Head up, trot like a sewing machine. So we did a lot of single poles at the walk and the trot. After a while he stopped hitting the poles. Iā€™d like to think that there is no anxiety with poles anymore, but he still speeds up a little through 4 trot poles.

I really expected that weā€™d be able to progress much faster in the poles/jumping department, but he is just not that kind of horse. My last TB was much less coordinated in life, but got the idea of poles and jumping much faster. This one learns well, but he has to try it a few times (or 10 times) and think about it. We went through a number of tiny Xā€™s before he understood to go over them.

I think his anxiety makes him panic a little, so we have to take things very slowly and I really try not to stress him. We have a few different instructors and they all have told me that I need to stay with the basics on him for a long time, but that once he gets it, heā€™ll move up fast.

Once the winter ended, we started going places. Trail rides, shipping out to places, a few hunter shows, paper chases, etc. Heā€™s a rockstar about behaving at shows and stuff. I walked him around for 10 minutes the first time, until his head came down from the heavens. After he chilled out, I hopped on, walked around for a few minutes and then went right into the busy warmup ring. He was quite relaxed in there, which was really surprising. Heā€™s very quiet as long as we only walk and trot. He does get ramped up after cantering at shows. That is the next thing we need to work on, but I couldnā€™t really canter him in public at first. Now I think heā€™s slow enough that we can canter in a busy ring without hurting anyone. Heā€™s fine at home, but not yet away.

The things I didnā€™t mention that were really important:
*treated for ulcers- didnā€™t test, just treaded with pop rocks
*got chiropractic repeatedly- this made a HUGE difference

His ground manners were terrible, and Iā€™ve worked on them a bit, but not separately, just as part of the every day routine. I do some natural horsemanship leading exercises which are helpful and I hope that Iā€™ve finally cured him of constantly whacking me in the face with his head. Iā€™ve found that over time heā€™s getting better and better and I havenā€™t really concentrated on it.

Good luck!

I will preface this by saying that my OTTBs I get off the track are usually personal projects over resale; I have the resources to keep them at home, and donā€™t usually flip them even if I buy them for resale (I tend to get too attached! :lol:). I tend to move at a glacial pace, but I like it because it gives me time to inspect all aspects of the training I provide them and it also makes it so I do not develop any gaps or holes in their training.

I find if your goal is to flip the horse, you need to go faster; by the time you have a horse for 90 days, youā€™ve likely already taken a loss in profit - to really make money on a horse, you need to move them pretty quickly.

for 3 year olds, I usually let them hang out the winter. If I work them at all, it is ground work/in hand with maybe an occasional hack. Lots of grooming sessions with extra diligence on manners, manners, manners. Most of the 3 year olds Iā€™ve gotten were also race failures, but needed some time off so the winter is a good enough chunk of time where I see them lose their tightness and race musculature and become horses. Theyā€™ll get their checkups (chiro, teeth, etc) and then theyā€™re turned out 24/7 for the winter. I take pictures the day they come home and in Feb/March and you always see a huge difference in the way they stand - usually by late winter they are much more ā€˜openā€™ and less under/tight. By spring my only goal with them is to have a respectable horse on the ground that ground-ties, understands ā€˜overā€™, ā€˜outā€™, and accepts the lunge line around/on their body, trailers, comes when whistled and backs up with the command ā€˜backā€™.

In the spring it is back to work - a combination of in-hand work, trail rides, occasional ring work. IMHO hacking is the best thing Iā€™ve found for young TBs, getting them out and moving their feet either by ponying or with a buddy. Maybe an occasional lunge to see them move out. I donā€™t like to do too many circles with the younger horses so they spend more time hacking than anything else.

After a few months of that it is lunging 1-2x a week with side-reins & surcingle, to teach them contact. Not much more than 15m, and only after a warm slow hack out. Enough that they feel the bit and start to understand contact. IMHO there is no more judicial or fair teacher than sidereins for green horses - their timing is always 100% on time itā€™s very easy for a horse to understand.

Spring is also where we start trailering - hacks, parks, friendā€™s XC schools, etc. This part of their training is simply ā€˜exposureā€™. I donā€™t worry too much about their skill in the sandbox, itā€™s all about developing their bodies and minds to be strong and confident. Lots and lots of trails, hills, and if I feel safe, I may do an occasional plop over a small X-rail or log.

By fall we continue the 3-5x a week rides, mostly hacking - maybe some ring work but not much. Winter they get off other than hacks at walk and itā€™s back to spring again.

By spring of their second year, Iā€™ll start to show them XC. At this point I have a horse who is very good on the ground and knows how to move out, go over, etc. Their first real XC school is done in hand. I will go out, make them do a circle and pop them over a log - praise, rinse, repeat. For some horses, I will have a helper with grain on the other side ā€“ anything to keep them positive and looking forward. During their first session I usually see it click and they start to look for the next thing. It also lets me see how they use themselves over fences and helps them get a feel of jumping sans rider.

After a few in hand sessions XC, weā€™ll start to do it undersaddle. They usually understand a fence means jump. My biggest goal with them is to get them to halt quietly almost immediately after, but sometimes with green exuberance that doesnā€™t always happen :lol:

But, after a summer of this, I generally have a BN-N horse on my hands if I am serious and school every weekend. Unfortunately, life does get in the way and sometimes itā€™s not until fall.

I find that my projectā€™s dressage education develops much quicker than their XC education, which is the direct opposite of how it was in my teenage years. Even though we mostly hack, they do start to come along nicely. People are surprised when I admit I really only seriously work on dressage once or twice a week with my projects, but IMHO it keeps them fresher and more willing. Lots of what you work on the trail reinforces dressage, which people donā€™t realize ā€“ moving sideways to step over a rock, half-halts down steep hills, asking them to turn on the forehand as you close a gate, etc etc.

And then, all of the sudden, it seems I have a capable, real live eventing horse. The pieces fall together and it is really quite thrilling. My current project is going through this now where Iā€™m saying wait a minuteā€¦ heā€™s no longer green anymore!

So basically, to sum up that giant post in a few words:
exposure begets experience :winkgrin:

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies! I love seeing how everyone approaches their training. I know there is no ā€œcookie cutterā€ solution between different horses.

Currently, what Iā€™m a little concerned about is her reaction to being in larger spaces without a halter on. Iā€™m able to walk her in arena/round pen/XC course and around the barn with very little spooking. Sheā€™s curious and brave to approach objects. Sheā€™s only reared once while leading, and I am starting to think itā€™s her fly sensitivity as they have consistently gotten the biggest reactions out of her out of everything sheā€™s around.

Despite that, I want to make sure she doesnā€™t hurt herself in larger paddocks. On a halter, she is fine and her anxiety has been decreasing every day. Itā€™s been a few days since she was introduced to her new stall (first day was filled with lots of running back and forth and bucking). Since then, she has calmed down quite a bit, so we tried it once in the round pen, and we got the same reaction- head held high, running back and forth, bucking. Our barn works on a paddock/turnout system, and despite her willingness while leading and working with her, I certainly donā€™t want her to hurt herself or someone else becoming overstimulated being free in a larger area. Has anyone found a good timeline or indications they are ready to be in turnout or larger areas with other horses?

Thanks again!

[QUOTE=vwalker233;8799181]
Thanks for all the replies! I love seeing how everyone approaches their training. I know there is no ā€œcookie cutterā€ solution between different horses.

Currently, what Iā€™m a little concerned about is her reaction to being in larger spaces without a halter on. Iā€™m able to walk her in arena/round pen/XC course and around the barn with very little spooking. Sheā€™s curious and brave to approach objects. Sheā€™s only reared once while leading, and I am starting to think itā€™s her fly sensitivity as they have consistently gotten the biggest reactions out of her out of everything sheā€™s around.

Despite that, I want to make sure she doesnā€™t hurt herself in larger paddocks. On a halter, she is fine and her anxiety has been decreasing every day. Itā€™s been a few days since she was introduced to her new stall (first day was filled with lots of running back and forth and bucking). Since then, she has calmed down quite a bit, so we tried it once in the round pen, and we got the same reaction- head held high, running back and forth, bucking. Our barn works on a paddock/turnout system, and despite her willingness while leading and working with her, I certainly donā€™t want her to hurt herself or someone else becoming overstimulated being free in a larger area. Has anyone found a good timeline or indications they are ready to be in turnout or larger areas with other horses?

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

most of mine are turned out with the herd immediately after quarantine is over. there will be shenanigans, theyā€™re young and thoroughbreds - but usually the rodeo is over after 10 minutes and they settle right in.

i wouldnā€™t worry about it. sounds like typical young horse/new environment syndrome. almost all TBs at some point were out in pastures/paddocks - many foals are raised in large pastures in broodmare bands, some smaller farms might have individual turnout insteadā€¦ at some point they have seen a paddock, even if it hasnā€™t been recently.

1 Like

I typically just turned them out. Introduced their field mate (one or two) by putting in adjoining stalls for a little while (30-45 minutes), then walk out to the field together and turn them loose. Perhaps leave a halter on the first day or two.

She will likely be better with other horses.

Here is a video of one of my 3 year oldsā€¦this was right off the trailer when I got her. Next day, we turned out in the big field with the herd of mares you can see next to the small oneā€¦she was fine. Mares are not the ones I worry as much about! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7zQXxLDJV0

You may be creating more of an issue. 3 year olds, fresh off the track are rarely calm and quiet. More turn out generally helps that.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8799191]

You may be creating more of an issue. 3 year olds, fresh off the track are rarely calm and quiet. More turn out generally helps that.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever met a 3 yr old child that you tell them they can only have 5 minutes on the playground and they canā€™t play with any of the other children? Better to rip the band aid off then create the anxiety. Horses need herd companionship. Holding it from them causes stress. The behavior you describe is exactly what every other normal horse does that is turned out alone that hasnā€™t had the time to find a friend.

1 Like

[QUOTE=vwalker233;8799181]
Has anyone found a good timeline or indications they are ready to be in turnout or larger areas with other horses?[/QUOTE]
If they are on a typical high sugar/carb diet I like to get that sorted out firstā€¦it is amazing how stupid a high (20+) NCS diet can make a horse.

I have a ā€œfirst turnoutā€ video as well, with a fresh 3yo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0tXdSrrdEI

She survived. :wink: In cool weather, this was a daily occurrence, even when she was six.

You can see patient grey gelding babysitter not indulging her prancing and snorting. This gelding was also a life-saver when I started ponying her on trails: he did not care about her shenanigans and would drag her wherever I pointed, and after living with him, she took comfort in his calmness.

I buy a lot of 3yrs for my sales program as long as they are really darn nice since a lot of people will wait on them if they are fancy. I just turn them out right away. Since I have a sales program I will then take some free moving video and a free jumping video over a small fence. I will lightly ride them maybe just one or twice a week but in a perfect world they would just hack out. I get them used to the chaos of a busy barn and ring. May take some field trips just to hang out in hand. Most of mine sell pretty quick but I find that 3yrs typically are actively growing which makes doing serious work pretty difficult.

I agree with everyone else re: turnout.

Also, with an unfit 3 yo, I would not start out with lunging. That can pretty hard on them. Long lining may be a good compromise if you are hesitant to get on her.

I usually just bring them home, turn them out, and get on them.

Last one I got on in the snow when it was 20 degrees, no longeing. Not sure how people can wait to see what they have. I am always too excited to ride the new horse!!! :lol:

[QUOTE=fordtraktor;8800847]
I usually just bring them home, turn them out, and get on them.

Last one I got on in the snow when it was 20 degrees, no longeing. Not sure how people can wait to see what they have. I am always too excited to ride the new horse!!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

i feel you thereā€¦ depending on the horse i might study them a bit before i get on to see what type of reactionary personality they have, if any ā€“ but yes ā€“ canā€™t wait to swing a leg over them and see what iā€™ve got! especially since most you canā€™t ride at the trackā€¦ or if you buy sight unseen (which has worked out well for us so farā€¦) through word-of-mouth or connections.

one of my more recent ones, i had to wait a whole EIGHT MONTHS! i got him knowing heā€™d need some time off but the wait just about killed meā€¦ it was more than worth it; he is a gem in every way.

Iā€™m a month in with my first 3 year old (4 seems to have been my magic # previously). Itā€™s been so unbearably hot that Iā€™ve not done much - but basically Iā€™m 1-2 days week in the ring, 2+ days just going for a walk (depending on the day, some trotting) in the field. If the weather wasnā€™t so miserable, Iā€™m afraid I would be tempted to do more. I donā€™t really have a big picture plan so I guess Iā€™ve adopted the attitude that I canā€™t do too wrong by going too slow, esp at this age.

Iā€™m assuming everyone thatā€™s talking about ā€œground workā€ - that your horses donā€™t know how to lunge, are terrible at being led, orā€¦? I am like Fordtraktor - I just get on and see what I have :wink: