Unlimited access >

4 wheeler wheelbarrow

Anyone have one? Is it as amazing as it looks?!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/big-4-wheeler-wheelbarrow-10-cu-ft

looks nice but how could you use that in a parade?

Thinking about this a little, if your ground is uneven or you will subject to snow, pushing is much more difficult that pulling
 I was told that is why a horse pulls a wagon in harness rather than pushing it (well it does push against the harness)

3 Likes

I would think that you can use it while a typical wheelbarrow where you pick up the smaller wheels if the ground is uneven.

If you buy this @ClassyJumper please report back on how it works. It looks very interesting.

I have the big wheelbarrow with two wheels on the front and love it for cleaning paddocks and such. Not as easy to jump as a single wheel version but the increased stability, being able to push it with one hand while I handle a gate and the huge load capability make it all worth it.

1 Like

I dunno, it’s not doing anything for me.
I’m picturing how low the handles are for a standard wheelbarrow-- you have to lean down a little bit when first grabbing the handles. It’s only a comfortable height for pushing once you’ve got the back end of the barrow lifted up off the ground. Maybe on this one these handles are set higher, so they’re already in that elevated position? If that’s the case, though, that means you’re limited to always pushing it with all 4 wheels on the ground. In which case I’d prefer a solid bar across the front for the handle.

The one use they mention-- hauling water – is where I could see this barrow having a big advantage. If I use my cart, I have to line up buckets in the cart, so it’s a much-reduced carrying capacity. Filling the bucket of the wheelbarrow would be better, but even my 2wheel one is really hard to control / keep from tipping sideways as the water sloshes. But I have a better tool for hauling water anyway, a 35gal tank with spigot) that sits on the tailgate.

I have a 4-wheel cart and a 2-wheel barrow, and they have different jobs. Not sure I see the benefit of combining them.

1 Like

bend at the knees to keep from distressing your back

It’s COTH and so I’m allowed to be pedantic, but doesn’t a “wheelbarrow” generally have one wheel, two supporting legs and two handles?

1 Like

Interesting question, what do you call the things marketed as wheelbarrows that have two wheels?

A 2 wheeled wheelbarrow? LOL! They still have the 2 supporting legs and 2 handles even with the improved stability of 2 wheels. Definitely not as manouvrable as the one wheel type, which can be a very important consideration when dealing with a muckheap.

Well, duh, it’s a wheelsbarrow. :laughing:

@clanter I know to use my legs and not my back. This doesn’t change my point at all, which is that you have to lift the handles on a normal wheelbarrow slightly to move it, and the handles are purposly set a little low because of this. If the handles on this 4-wheeled one are the same height as a normal wheelbarrow, they’ll be uncomfortably low for pushing this thing forward. And if the handles are set higher to allow pushing, then they’ll be uncomfortably high if you do ever want to use it like a normal wheelbarrow with the back end lifted up and just rolling on the front wheels. In short, it seems like this thing is only good as a 4-wheeled cart, in which case just get a 4wheeled cart. that you can pull.

3 Likes

I saw one in person, the handles sit a bit higher than a normal wheelbarrow but I was also confused as to whether it is designed to always be on 4 wheels vs. picking it up. Unfortunately they had it chained up so I couldn’t try it out. Was hoping someone had tried it!

We have one; it’s fine, but not as useful as one would think. The tires went flat quite regularly, it was hard to maneuver, and the low handles made it hellish on your back. You could also lift it so it was on the two front wheels, but it was quite heavy and still hard to maneuver. We still have it, but rarely use it. We bought a couple Rubbermaid carts instead and have been much happier!

2 Likes

I would say this qualifies as a wagon, not that it matters.

1 Like

I have one of these and love it.

does nothing for me. I prefer two smaller lighter ones vs. ‘load up a weeks worth’ in it and try to push and dump. now THIS I would L O V E : https://ratbarrow.com.au/

Here’s what we use to move stuff

We call it our “four wheel drive wheelbarrow”

4 Likes

If you get snow, the four wheels become problematic. I like one wheel to navigate when the snow is deep.

I’m sure people here will steer you towards a gorilla cart - read more. I kinda wish I had bought one instead of the wheelbarrow I bought last year. Although, the wheelbarrow I bought is a steel tub, metal handles, solid rubber tire. I imagine it will last a very long time. It is something that takes a beating when used, so metal is definitely the way to go.