Unlimited access >

48 hours until SHOW TIME! (first dressage show in 30+ years!) --UPDATE in OFF COURSE

Short version: On Saturday I will ride a horse named Hugh Jackman into the dressage ring. It will be my first dressage show in 30+ years --and his (at least) 100th. I know my tests (Thank you COTH gurus for suggesting Intro C and Training 1).

Other stuff: I have brand new white breeches, an appropriate shirt and stock tie (thingy --hardly a stock tie --uses Velcro). My black coat is clean and I have new black gloves (I’ve practiced with). I’ve polished my ancient Dehners to a shine. Have a hairnet, a back up hairnet and a black velvet helmet that fits. All or loaded in the truck along with a “dressage skirt” to cover said breeches before mounting.

My ride times are 10:21 and 10 31 one rider between my two classes. I think this is good as I won’t need to get off/on or untack. I’ll just walk HJ around and watch the other rider.

Today HJ is off (yesterday he practiced for the last time our transitions and salute) . He’s spot on. Perfect everything IF I do everything right. If I don’t relax my hands when I ask for the canter from the trot, he shakes his head. I MUST remember to relax --and that’s going to be tough. I will clean my tack today. I practiced braiding HJ’s forelock yesterday. I also gave him a fresh roach. He has a beautiful neck. Bath tomorrow . . .THEN . . .

Because the venue is only 10 miles from my farm, I will haul HJ over as practice is allowed on FRIDAY after 3 IN THE RINGS. Both daughter and trainer (he helped me 4 times with HJ) say unnecessary as HJ has seen just about every venue in the universe between 6 years of racing and 8 years of 3-Day around the US. I will feel better though if I know where things are (like the bathroom) and where to park my trailer. The organizer said I can put HJ’s water and hay in the stall Friday, so I won’t need to deal with that on Saturday (he won’t be in that stall long --just while I dress and while I wait for results. We’ll do our meander around (might just walk) and then I’ll take him home. He’ll rest better here and so will I.

I am a bit on the fence as to if I should haul him tacked (saddle on). I do this most of the time --always when I fox hunt and generally when the kids used to show. It’s just easier to put gear on in our barn and there’s 0 chance one will forget something essential. I have a lovely sheet that can fit over everything to keep him tidy and the saddle clean on the short trip there.
Saturday, show day, I plan to hit the barn (behind my house) at 7:00 (feed, worry), load HJ at 8:00 roll out of my driveway between 8 and 8:30 --and be at the show grounds at 9:00. I will unload Hugh, sort him in the stall --leave DH to watch him --then at 9:30, dress. I plan to be in the saddle at 9:45 (I am bringing my own mounting block --HJ is 18.2). We will do our usual 20 min warm up and be ready to roll at 10:21 --oh, and I will watch the riders ahead of me to see if I can indeed ride both ways around the ring past the judge’s booth.

As the rider ahead of me does a final salutes, I will ride in, say good morning to the judge, my name, and my test. I will continue to trot around to the left then when the whistle blows, I will turn and trot to the right, entering the ring with a slightly right bend as HJ’s first turn is to the right. I will keep my eyes on the judge until I finish the 3 second halt and salute. The we trot off . . . .and the test begins.

Other trivia --HJ came to me at Thanksgiving 2021. He was no longer suitable for DD jumping program (boo-boo knee). We struggled to click --he’s a giant and an OTTB. I saw him as a fire-breathing dragon and he saw me as a potentially cruel owner (guessing). It took me until April to finally get on his back. He scared me. I finally did. We tried some things --found out he really loved Dressage. Started slow with a walk, then took him to the saddle fitter, had a lesson or two (canter was a challenge --his cues were different than my cow pony). Finally I started looking forward to riding him daily (5 days a week). He moved to first on my list each day (usually ride two sometimes 3).

I entered the local show --and now we are really going. Hugh and my combined age is 86.

Keep us in your thoughts! I will post pix AFTER --and yes, this is a really small show, but to me it is the biggest show I will ever attend.

22 Likes

You’re SO ready! Now go have fun!

1 Like

Awesome! If you have a stall I would tack up there. That’s a long time to be wearing a saddle. He can have a drink and some hay while you get dressed then tack up afterward. I would also give yourself a little more wiggle room for time in case something comes up, it inevitably always does.

You got this have the best time!

4 Likes

Have fun… I agree I would tack him there as he’ll have a longish time tacked up for no reason otherwise…

1 Like

Good luck and have fun! I’ve not shown (coached aplenty though) in 22 years, and am really looking forward to getting back at it next season.

Please let us know how you do!

You seem to have a very detailed plan! I’d suggest adding some time to check in at the show office, pick up your number, and check that your ride times have not changed. When I used to scribe, I appreciated riders who announced their name, test, and their NUMBER when riding by the judge so I could double check the info listed on your test sheet. And if you’re first turn is to the right, put bridle tag on left side so it is visible to judge and scribe.

Good luck! Remember to breathe and have fun!

1 Like

I am so excited for you (and for my vicarious thrill). As I say to my students, “Suerte!!”

I hope you both( you and HJ) have a great time!!

@Scarlet_Gilia OMG I forgot the whole check in process! Just moved my time line up 45 min …thank you! Um are dressage numbers pinned on the back of the coat or hung in the bridle? Assume hung on bridle but bringing safety pins just in case.

Here we always get a bridle number.

I hope you have a great time! I’m showing for the first time this year the following weekend and am starting to get into the same detailed planning mode. So much to think about!

From the USEF Rulebook:

“121.19. Numbers. All competitors must complete check-in at the show office and receive a show number, before schooling or riding on the show grounds. Competition-assigned numbers, or the same number in a personal numbering format, must be worn and visible at all times when a horse is being hand-walked, exercised or ridden, under penalty of elimination.”

All the shows I’ve been to provide a bridle number…The show office may be open Friday when you’re there to school. If so, check in then and mark one thing off your list to do on Saturday!

Packing some safety pins is a good idea anyway. They’re handy for many things, like a wardrobe malfunction.

@Scarlet_Gilia Thank you again!!!

We are anxiously awaiting your show report!

Posted in Off Course! Don’t think I can double post in Dressage but may anyway!

Fantastic! It’s easy to see why the free walk earned an 8.5. Congratulations.

If you don’t get a bridle number, pin it to the bottom left corner of your saddle pad, not on your back. Good luck!

@Mondo --Show was yesterday --I posted recap and pictures in OFF COURSE --the organizers used bridle numbers. I hung mine on the left side since our first turn was to the right. I wanted to change it to the right side when I did my second test, turning to the left first, but forgot to do so. Even so, we did well!!

1 Like

Can’t find the post, can you post the update here?

Her horse’s name is Hugh Jackman and that is in the title of the post in Off Course. She did great and added terrific pictures!

@Jealoushe. Did u find it?