Unlimited access >

4health Dog food from TSC, anyone use it?

I’ve been looking to switch my dogs onto a higher quality dog food and during my research found this.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/4health-trade-chicken-rice-formula-for-adult-dogs-dog-food-35-lb--6009468

Got a 4 star review on dogfoodadvisor.com and found lots of good reviews during a Google search. People are comparing it to BB, Diamond Naturals and TOTW.

So curious if anyone on here has tried it?

I have, my dogs seem to like it, only used it for a month so far so no long term comments, but haven’t had any problems either. I like that it is wheat, corn, and soy free. I’m using the small bite formula because my dogs range from 12 lb to 60 lb. It works for the little guys, and doesn’t bother the big girl. So far, 4 paws up.

I have also tried the 4health can food cause we mix a spoonful in everybodys bowl for extra flavor and they seem to like that quite well also.

I tried it. I have a young GSD and a JRT mix…LOVED the shiny coat it gave. Both boys loved the taste and gobbled it down. I bought the Lamb and Rice version. The GSD would get the runs about every other week on it. I stayed on it for a good 4 months and then switched to Blue Buffalo, hasn’t had the runs since :frowning:

I tried my JRT on it once before and he didn’t seem fond of it and he also had some poop issues on it, but I bought some of the salmon and sweet potato flavor yesterday, along with his regular TOTW. The salmon is a different variation than I tried before and I plan on mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with his TOTW and seeing how that goes. My reasoning is a bit anthromorphic (is that a word?). My dog only seems to like the prairie version of TOTW and I feel bad that he eats the same thing all of the time with no variation, so to make myself feel better, I’m adding some flavor to his regular food…lol.

I love it. I use the Large Breed 4Health. I’ve been happier than I was with Taste of the Wild, which I used to use. I ran into a couple of bags (same "flavor) of TOTW that the dogs just would not eat. And 4Health is definitely economical.

The 4Health Performance formula is about on par, quality wise, as TOTW, and far more affordable.

I have been buying it because of the price and quality

two problems here.
My dogs who are omnivores, do not care for it. I need to buy some today as I am out perhaps I will try a different flavor. And two, Toffee is FARTING awfully and it seems to be the food!:eek: Oh my she STINKS! I ran out and in desperation bought Avoderm, much more expensive, and they were indifferent to the taste, but less gas from the dog. But $$$ Like someone here suggested if you put it in their bowl, they will eat it. They are going back on TC brand, and if she is still gassy, I don’t know what I will do.

My JRT was gassy on it as well, but I had tried a different protein version than the salmon which is why I bought the salmon variety to try yesterday. So far so good. My JRT loved it and begged for more and no gassiness yet. Oddly, my JRT does not like the TOTW salmon, but he ate the 4star salmon like he was starving and I know he wasn’t.

I started my girls on it about a month ago. Two are doberman and will literally eat anything so can’t really comment on palatability. The Great Pyrenees puppy eats it too and seems to like it. The doberman usually have gas that can peel paint, but I haven’t noticed it lately. Poo is smaller, too.

I like it so far but still too early to get a good idea of how they will do.

i tried my not so picky eater Weimareiner on it and she HATED it. She wouldn’t eat it unless you mixed something yummy into it. When she did eat it she had digestive issues and loose stools. I switched her to TOTW and she LOVES it. Eats every bit of it without any additives.

I just wanted to update that my JRT is doing well on the 4star salmon and sweet potato dog food mixed with the TOTW still. I have it mixed 50/50 now. He even seems to have lost his Buddha-looking belly paunch even though he hasn’t lost weight. He just lost that somewhat bloated appearance.

Well good news here

I also tried the salmon, these dogs eat better than I do, and they seem to like it. They didn’t like the lamb, but they seem to like the the salmon, and best of all, Toffee isn’t so gassy!!! Yay!!!:smiley:

I feed them the small bites formula, and all the cats get the 4Health kibble now (one got the runs, but he does that periodically anyway and also eats hair off the floor. He got over it.) The dogs like it, seem to poop slightly less, and this is the only way they’re getting a “premium” food because not in this lifetime am I paying Blue Buffalo or TOTW’s prices, though they did get a can of TOTW as a treat. (Blue Buffalo’s canned food’s absurd. I could just buy meat at the supermarket for that price.)

Tucker’s lost five pounds on it without acting like I’m STARVING HER TO DEATH, which is nice. (She’s the fat corgi. I suspect whoever owned her before the pound fed her on table scraps and no exercise.) Puff maintains with it, also good as he’s skinny. Yeah, I have the Laurel and Hardy of the dog world.

I picked up my first bag today and will start the transition process over to the new food. I went with the chicken flavor since that is what they had with their previous food.

Tonight they got their regular food with a tiny bit of the new food sprinkled on top. Don’t think they even noticed that anything was different! My 3 are pretty much K9 Hoovers, not much that they won’t touch :lol:

Resurrecting this thread because my 5m/o Pit cross seems to be having trouble with the runs after having some of the 4Health Jerky Strip treats. She goes bonkers for them though. I think I’m going to stop giving them to her and return the rest of the portion for a refund.

I have not fed the Jerky Strip treats. I have been feeding the 4Health Grain free for a few years. I forget what flavor I have now but the foxhound is a little gassier than the previous couple of bags which were a different flavor

I fed 4Health for years but had to switch last fall when all my dogs started having trouble with vomiting and diarrhea. I tried a bunch of different foods, was going to go back and try 4Health again, but the Tractor Supply near me seems to be unable to keep the two types I use in stock. That was my issue back in Kentucky too, but at least there were 2 different stores I could try.

After 4 trials with other foods, I’m feeding Wellness Simple and the dogs are doing great on it.

I don’t feed jerky treats…there have been too many issues over the years with recalls.

I have fed 4 health for years to a wide variety of dogs (fosters as well as my own) with no issues. I feed canned and dry kibble depending on the dog (I have 4). I do like the new line Untamed. I also feed 4 Health treats with no issues.

HA! I had a dog throw up weekly on Blue Buffalo and do great on 4health! LOL!!! I think it boils down to what works best for your dog. I have now used 4Health for several years and I have been happy with it.

It’s definitely the Jerky Strip treats. I didn’t give her any for a week and her poo firmed up. Gave her 1/4th of one before bed. Next day diarrhea… Damn, I paid $15 for that bag of treats and can’t find the friggin receipt!