Unlimited access >

5 or 6 way vaccines

Does anyone actually use 5 or 6 way vaccines? Do they seem to have a greater risk of injection site reactions? I always get my horse’s vaccines split up.

Been using a 5-way for years on 4-8 horses annually. Never had any reactions. If I did, I would change my protocol, but it’s working for now.

4 Likes

I’ve used both 5 and 6 way vaccines for all my horses for the last 30 years and I haven’t had any problems or reactions. Hopefully I didn’t just jinx myself now. The only vaccine mine have had a reaction to was one mare got a very stiff neck for a day from a rabies shot. She’s fine now as long as we give rabies in her thigh instead of her neck.

3 Likes

Yes. Occasionally my horse gets a bump, smaller than an eraser on a pencil, for a few hours.

It’s my preference, only one adjuvant to react too.

3 Likes

Very common. Most horses tolerate well. Of course one of mine needs one vaccine at a time and still gets a reaction. Horses!

My vet uses a 5-way.
I gladly pay for her to vax horses as she’s there for annual health check at the same time.
Like @Festivity only ever had one react with stiff neck to rabies vax & giving it in the hip solved that.
Otherwise all are fine & to me, less sticks means less chance for a needle abcess.

Vets do. I buy from them and give at home.
The most reactive vaccine is the rabies shot. They like to give that one 10 days apart from the regular one. Many horses get sore from it.

I’ve owned three horses (all related) that required having their vaccinations spread out after they’d received them for several years – in other words, bad reactions only started after they were fully adult. Each was fine when after vaccination, for years, until he or she suddenly wasn’t, then Boom, and their vaccines were split up afterward. I’m not talking about a stiff neck, I mean stuff like head shaking or laminitis type of reactions.

The others could tolerate 5-way vaccines without problem, even as aged horses (20s and 30s). I have been told by veterinarians that the rabies vaccine is hard on horses, and one said that West Nile vaccine was, as well. A vet that I’ve been using since the 80s, for instance, doesn’t like to give both West Nile and rabies vaccines at the same time, but he’ll give one of those with other vaccines. When splitting vaccines for the horses that require it, he also likes to inject them in different areas of the body, and keep records of the locations.

1 Like

Yep.

I have a vaccine reactive horse in the way of high fevers. Doesn’t matter if its a 2, 5, or 6 way or a standalone. Same thing each time. The only vax he has NOT reacted to is flu/rhino intranasal.

After collecting data for 3 years, our plan is he gets the Zoetis Core (Rabies/Tetenus/EEE/WEE/West Nile) plus Potomic in March and then he gets his IN flu/rhino as a standalone a few weeks after to not completely overload him. This way only has me treating him one go around with banamine vs multiple. For now anyways.