Unlimited access >

60" Anatomical girth with lining - does it exist?

It is making me crazy that it seems like the girth I want doesn’t exist. Horse has a forward girth groove so I need an anatomical for the girth to line up with the billets the best. Horse sometimes reacts to leather (although it might just be cheap leather…) so I would prefer a sheepskin or other cushy lining. Then the real catch, I need a 60" girth.

I love the equifit anatomical hunter girth (actually had a 56" at one point that didn’t hold up well but horse loved) but they won’t do custom sizing (I emailed them). Nobody else seems to make an anatomical girth with a lining. Anyone have ideas? Budget up to $300 to find the right girth!

Thanks in advance!

Mattes makes a long anatomic sheepskin girth in a 58"? I feel like I remember seeing an anatomic leather girth with removable sheepskin lining, unsure of sizes though…Maybe Santa Cruz? Also, I got my 58" anatomic girth from County, I would give them a call and see if they can do a custom rig for you?

I did see the Santa Cruz, but it looked like it was only available in other countries when I searched, plus it didn’t appear to go up to 60". If you’ve seen it available in the US let me know.

Hmm, I will check into the Mattes girths. Definitely not traditional in look but maybe in the right color it would be okay.

Thanks!

I have never seen one in anything above 56". I struggle too because one of mine wears between a 58"-60". Devoucoux said they would make a custom one, but I believe the price was over your limit. I am interested to see what others find.

Do you think a belly guard girth would work?

Have you thought about trying a girth extender with a girth that you know would work? If the anatomical doesn’t line up properly with an extender on only one side, could put them on both sides. If skin is sensitive, maybe a shortened fleece “sleeve” over it?
https://www.smartpakequine.com/girth-extender-6155p

I use one on my big momma mare when she’s preggers and more rotund than her usual bigness. I haven’t tried it with an anatomical but it works great with the usual fleece girths. She is also very sensitive skinned and it has never bothered her (knock on wood!).

Good luck!

County made a 60" girth for me. I think the Mattes girth pad
will work with it, but I haven’t needed to pad the girth.

Oh ho ho, I thought I had a big horse!

Have you thought about seeing if Bartville can make you one?

vxf111 - My horse is some kind of mutant, not sure what happened. When I bought him he was almost 6 and could wear a stretched out 50" girth. He’s not even fat, just has a deep barrel. 18.1 hands of TB! I’ve read some good things about Bartville but never seen anything made by them or seen a catalogue. Do they offer various types of girths already? Maybe I will try calling, I really want to find the girth I have in mind, seems like it should exist!

drkarins - I didn’t really want to do an extender since I would use it for shows. Without my show pad I can squeeze him into a 58" that I have at least.

AKB - Do you like your County girth? I did email them and they said they would make me one, but a friend told me the quality is not great. Plus it’s not lined. Maybe i need to find or convince someone to make me a shaped girth cover? Not very attractive for shows though.

I am happy with my County girth. It has held up well over the past 5 years. It seems well made to me.

Antares has one, not sheepskin end lined though, as does Edgewood (lined and unlined). Email them

Have you tried Draft Horse websites online?

My horse wears a 60 as well! I have a Toklat fleece girth that is a 58. It was a little snug for about 5 rides and then it stretched out and fits perfectly. The 58 was custom

pinkme - I do love the Antares one, just didn’t have the sheepskin lining I would ideally want. Maybe I need to contact them as another option and see if they would add the lining. Both of my local tack shops suggested staying away from Edgewood, said they are really difficult to deal with even though they do nice work. I didn’t get a good idea for everything they offer from the website, but I will keep that in mind if I don’t find something.

Zenyatta - I wasn’t seeing anything on any of the draft tack sites I found. It was mostly synthetic girths or plain cheap leather girths that I was finding.

Chester Step - I used to have a Lettia in 58 and he hated it for whatever reason so I’ve avoided synthetic since. He’s a picky one, I believe because he has kissing spines girths effect him more than most horses.

On the up side, it looks like KL Select is willing to make me a custom girth. Still waiting on a call back to get some more details, but it looks promising.

Bartville has a catalog but they’re Amish and don’t advertise heavily. If you write them and ask, they’ll send you one. They do nice work. It’s not fancy, but it’s sturdy and good quality. They’ve made things from scratch for me before (for example, overhead reins) that I’ve been happy with. If you have a girth for them to copy-- and you just want LONGER-- I bet they can do it.

Love my EquusSport custom. I believe I paid ~$250 new.