Unlimited access >

60 Years On

He was my pick in my third Derby. :slight_smile:

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/6166/little-white-faced-canadian-bred-used-americas-greatest-race-springboard-becoming-worlds-greatest-stallion/

4 Likes

Greatest horse ever!

1 Like

He knew exactly who he was, too. His eye truly had the “look of eagles” and even in his 20s he had an incredible presence and bearing.

The moment he was led out of the stallion barn toward visitors, he’d set up and get ready for the photos.

1 Like

Even in his 20s he was still a hot tamale. :rofl:

I’ve always loved this video:

7 Likes

What a gorgeous guy!
And a gentleman. I thought he would try rip the shank out of the groom’s hands when he was being turned out, but he waited like a good boy to be released.

What struck me was how small Northern Dancer was. I looked him up and officially he was 15.2 but many people thought him to be about 15.0 or so. Proof that size doesn’t matter!

He was also even more influential in Britain and Ireland, leading sire 4 times compared to 2 times in N America. Vincent O’Brian was a pioneer in purchasing American horses to race in Europe, leading eventually to the racing powerhouse of Coolmore. With the immense success of Saddlers Wells in particular, it is quite hard in GB and Ire to find an out cross these days with no Northern Dancer.

1 Like

That is what struck me to. Not the normal TB physique but he sure had the turn of foot!