Unlimited access >

A bit of a brag! PLEASE add your own!

I’m not finding the joy thread, so figured I’d start this. I’m just bragging, not looking for advice, and hoping everyone else will, too!

My trainer of 9 years passed away January 2022, and his wife and I have been moral support for each other. We have started taking lessons with a trainer out of town, and schooling at shows to get ready to compete.

I had my first rated show since my trainer’s death this past weekend, showing my girl 1-3 for the first time. Even filling out the entries is emotional because my trainer and his wife bred and sold me my mare, so putting his name on entries touches me. He’d worked out payments and a price WELL below what he was told to sell her for by experts because he wanted me to have her.

We aren’t perfect, have lots of progress to make, but I’m proud of how wonderful my girl is. Our goal was to get our first score for regionals, and first test we for that with a 67. I rode the test VERY conservatively, because she had some tension, so I figured make it an easy test for her to start out back in the show ring.

Second test she was tired and I spent the whole time working hard to keep her going. I didn’t fully succeed, but we got a 71 with many more 8s than I’ve ever had on a test! It was also my first time getting an 8 rider score - I don’t know that I’ve ever gotten over a 6.5, which is frustrating when riding horses I’ve trained and my 6 or 6.5 is the lowest score on the test, as if the horses are doing it on their own.

First test:

Pics from test 2:

77 Likes

Wow, you guys look amazing. Absolutely stunning!

Thank you for sharing, I’m sure your trainer would be very proud of you and your mare :heart:

8 Likes

Very nice and a very pretty girl you have! Congratulations!

5 Likes

Congrats @netg! You two look awesome!

My own little brag: I finished my Bronze Freestyle Bar last month with a 3rd level freestyle that I designed myself. Mr. Neon helped put the music together. I ended up changing the choreography after the first show in March but didn’t have enough time to change the music. Now that I’m qualified for regional championships, I can tweak the music.

25 Likes

Congratulations! I’ll do a freestyle someday… I don’t show enough to fit that in, too, right now.

4 Likes

That,'s FANTASTIC!!!

2 Likes

This one’s a bit of an oldie but a goodie. I took my Friesian mare to the Friesian inspection several years back. She was there to show at halter for inspection, but I got to the grounds early and to ride her around a bit and acquaint her to the facility. I was warming up when a car pulled up and the judges got out. They began watching me ride. I got nervous then, because it was quite early in the morning, before classes started, and I didn’t have her bridle number on. I quickly wrapped it up, then hopped off and was exiting the arena when one of them asked Is this your horse? Yes, I said humbly. Did you train her yourself? Yes. A few moments past and he smiled and said Good work.

Fun thread, thanks for starting it!

28 Likes

Lovely. What a pretty horse. You work so well together.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve known her since she was born, and feel like even though nothing’s ever as good as perfectionist dressage riders want, she’s such a doll our relationship shows. I never thought I’d be in a position to buy her, so I kept encouraging friends to buy her because I knew she’d be one an ammy could train without the need for training rides.

3 Likes

Well I was initially bummed that the June show at Westworld was cancelled because I was going to try to pick up my second qualifying score for the regionals at first level; BUT, I’m now glad I won’t have to compete against you guys! I think we’ll just focus on training level which we were already qualified for and root for you two come the show :wink: I just don’t think Brandon and I can pull it together to even come close to what you two are achieving. Congratulations. It’s long deserved.

5 Likes

Awww, it’s about progress for all of us! And honestly, getting these scores with her vs the scores I got with Ellie makes me so frustrated. I know how she felt and where we had problems, and I know how great Ellie felt in some rides which scored barely over 60. JJ’s talent means we get many more 8s on transitions, but a lot of our work getting higher scores just because she’s pretty and fancy kind of irritates me.
I won one class and was 2nd in the other, and for Saturday night the rider who beat me and I were the only riders to score in the 70s. I was running on Sunday morning and got to see her rides, and can’t believe I was competing with her because her rides were just flawless and mistake-free.

2 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

17 Likes

What a lovely pair you two are!! And major kudos for getting out and doing the thing.

My brag is on my 4 yo OTTB so on a very different scale. We rode with company today and he worked very hard to stay with me the whole ride. We finished with two canter circles that kept roughly a circle shaped and roughly the same tempo! It was so fantastic to feel him trying the whole time.

10 Likes

You guys look wonderful together!

My brag; my mares second event today and she got the best score of the day :raised_hands:t3: cried happy tears like a baby after I got my test.

27 Likes

OMG look at that uphill canter in the last photo. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Mine is much smaller… I rode a new to me horse in a new to me clinic environment with by far the “fanciest” clinician I’ve ever ridden with and a) didn’t cry b) rather quickly got over my omg new horse anxiety c) learned a lot of different ways of approaching some known issues I always struggle with on any horse and d) legit had fun. Small thing, big improvements in the mental part of riding which has been a massive struggle as of late.

11 Likes

To me, that is the biggest brag! Her canter was loooooong and flat so she had trouble staying in a dressage arena. The canter is finally getting more and more moments of true collection with lift in front after spending so much time working on it! Now, it gets the best scores at shows, and astounds me!

5 Likes

Absolutely NOT smaller! The mental side of riding is SO HARD, and this is huge!

Congrats everyone on all the celebrations - many cool things, and they’re all important!

3 Likes
  1. Congratulations, that is awesome!
  2. Thank you for letting me know I’m not alone with happy tears!
3 Likes

Oooh that reminds me of a brag.

Hubby comes in complaining that Sim keeps over reacting to his canter aids for absolutely no reason.

???

What aides are you using? You should be using the lightest aides you can. He can feel a fly on his side. Change your aides to the lightest aide you can. I just lift my inside seat bone.

WELL the difference in Sim was massive. I can not tell you how much.

We went to a lesson and I told my instructor that story and told him the whole horse has changed.

A couple of minutes later my instructor exclaimed delight in Sim’s canter.

I have never seen him go like that before. Not even when you were riding him.

I told you the whole horse changed.

5 Likes