Unlimited access >

A-Circuit Barns in the Maryland Area

Looking for A-Circuit show barns to move to, must be no more than 30 minutes from Columbia. Any recommendations (or vice versa) are appreciated.

Caves Farm with Katie Cooper
Willow Wood with Kim Williams
Rolling acres with Patty Foster/Mary Lisa leffler
Ben and Keri guanciale
ESP Farm Rachel Kennedy
Just depends what you’re looking for!

1 Like

Thanks so much, I’ve heard of a couple of these places but have yet to check them out. Will definitely check them out.

I’m in Columbia. Here to Caves on a Saturday will be 20-25 minutes; between 4 and 6 on a weeknight, 45-60. Depending where you are it could be longer- when we were house shopping we targeted Long Reach and Oakland Mills in part for my barn commute. Owen Brown added 10 minutes.

I used to ride with Caves. They have excellent facilities, good care, GREAT turnout, and you would learn a lot, but if the drive would get old, call Kim Williams or Rolling Acres. I’ve never ridden with Kim but I’ve watched her prep riders at shows for 15 years and I would call her in a heartbeat.

Concur with this list and the advice of “it depends on what you’re looking for!” If you are really into showing, never a bad idea to look at the USEF records to see what shows they’ve attended this season and to see which divisions the trainers are riding in, the horses they show, etc. I think it helps to have some info on some of the customers too: what divisions, how often they show, do they go to any finals, regional or indoors, so that you find a place that’s aligned with your goals.

Hi following this. Just took a job in Baltimore county. Not A level but interested in finding a lower level facility. Love any recommendations!

Baltimore County has lots of options for training and showing with local and regional associations. Whereabouts are you located, how far do you want to drive, do you have your own horse, and what are your goals?

There’s lots of options up there, just depends on what you’re looking for. Do you own/lease a horse? What division are you hoping to do/what level are you hoping to get to. And how far are you willing to drive?

You’ve gotten some very good suggestions. I just wanted to add about the 30 minute commute, that most of the A show barns are in nice rural areas, so may be a bit outside of the 30-minute mark. Additionally, traffic in MD is a legit thing. I’d budget for a little flexibility on the commute unless you are willing to make some other sacrifices.

Shadow Ridge Farm is TOP NOTCH!! Highly recommend. May be a few minutes over 30 depending where you are in Columbia. It is in Westminster.

I’ve heard amazing things about them, however I get the feeling they’re out of my price range board-wise.

1 Like