Unlimited access >

A great champion has gone away

Sadly the incomparable Judy Richter has left us after 80+ years of teaching, training, raising children, horses and dogs, mentoring the best riders in the country and setting the example for sheer energy as well as limitless, often unheralded generosity. She loved books, poetry, equine art, a good laugh, a green forest-bound field, and the look in a good horse’s eye. She will be much missed.

6 Likes

Denny Emerson posted pics of Judy on his FB page. Her form over fences was incredible. The female version of Steinkraus.

4 Likes

I was so sad to read this, what a great loss. I met her years ago when my boss’s daughter was riding at her farm. What a beautiful position on those photos Denny posted.

1 Like

I’m very sad to hear this. Judy was a great horsewoman and a very kind soul. Kip was based out of Coker for many years, and there were lots of days in the summers where Judy and I would be riding out on the fields together to get out of the ring. I bet there was a whole pack of Jack Russells waiting for her at the bridge.

I hope Philip keeps Coker or it is otherwise protected. Such a beautiful farm.

4 Likes

I stopped in at Coker many times over the years for different reasons, and even showed there myself long ago.

There was usually an old gray pony wandering around loose on the property just about every time I was there. I hope Judy is reunited with all her old four-legged friends now.

2 Likes

Was the zebra still there?

I hope he keeps it, would be a shame to lose another horse property but Philip and his wife have their own beautiful farm so maybe he won’t feel the need to keep a second one. And Bedford property is worth a fortune, I think Coker is about 100 acres?