Unlimited access >

A Kelly Blue Book for saddles

As someone who deals with saddles a lot, I get questions like:

“Is this a fair price for a <insert brand here> saddle?”
“How much is my saddle worth”

Usually I just look at past sales, as well as sales from other places on the internet and come up with an average. But I’m lazy and that takes a while, so I automated it!

Here’s the result: https://www.tackhunter.com/news/how-much-is-my-saddle-worth

Now, I know there are quite a few saddle experts on here so any feedback from you guys would be great. This is just something i made for fun in my spare time, so i’d love to improve it however i can.

Heres a few things i’ve observed:

• brands do matter with respect to selling price. You can definitely get a “not so fashionable” saddle that’s great quality for a fair price, but if you’re looking for / selling a brand that’s in-demand, the price will reflect that. basically: fashionable, economical, quality - pick 2.

• Once again regarding demand, the same is true for sizes. Certain sizes are much more common than others. From an economical perspective, one might think that because it’s scarce means it should be more valuable. However, because of low-demand, it’s usually a buyers market.

• Neglected saddles are pretty difficult to sell. That being said as long as your saddle isn’t incredibly old and is well taken care of, it should be able to fetch a fair price.

• Knowing the brand, model, serial, and history of your saddle is always helpful in estimating price and reassuring to the buyer.

• Saddles typically sell slower than the other tack and equipment we sell so patience is always helpful

Great idea, but your link doesn’t work.

Fixed :o

[QUOTE=TackHunter;8879036]
Fixed :o[/QUOTE]

The “Let’s Get Started” button on your website doesn’t seem to be working for me at all. (Using Chrome)

Well I got a hell of a deal on my saddle if your “Blue Book” is even close!

[QUOTE=jawa;8879098]
Well I got a hell of a deal on my saddle if your “Blue Book” is even close![/QUOTE]

Nice! My prestige nona garson elite was actually right around the price that I paid for it :yes:

I love the idea, but when I input the saddle I am selling, it comes up as 0.00 because you have not sold one. :smiley:

It’s an Albion, so a little off brand, but I don’t think it’s super rare.

It worked for me. I got a deal on my saddle when I first bought it, and if I wanted to sell it, it seems like I’d get my money back!

Thanks for this great tool!

I love your ambition… and the buttons - did you make them? They are so cool.

I think your database needs more info but I love the idea. I entered in Stubben Zaria, 17.5 M, brand new and got $1042 with most people asking for $870 :eek: I should think not!

[QUOTE=beowulf;8879489]
I love your ambition… and the buttons - did you make them? They are so cool.

I think your database needs more info but I love the idea. I entered in Stubben Zaria, 17.5 M, brand new and got $1042 with most people asking for $870 :eek: I should think not![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I made all the buttons and stuff. It’s definitely good practice for me to make these little widgets and tools for people to use :smiley:

I had the same thing happen to me with the pricing estimate. However I found out it was because I had a higher end version of a model (e.g. prestige nona garson elite vs prestige nona garson) I suspect that you either have the Zaria deluxe, or the Zaria optimum, which are both very nice saddles.

For a used Zaria, I would expect a consignment shop to probably ask $2800-$2900 for the deluxe, and $3000 - 3500 for the optimum with some wiggle room depending on how quickly the seller is looking to get rid of it. Since yours is a 17.5M it might fetch on the higher end of those ranges.

Lastly, I should probably take out the “brand new” option. Our site sees primarily used saddles, so if yours is truly new, then it’ll be closer to retail than a used one of course.

[QUOTE=Belmont;8879451]
I love the idea, but when I input the saddle I am selling, it comes up as 0.00 because you have not sold one. :smiley:

It’s an Albion, so a little off brand, but I don’t think it’s super rare.[/QUOTE]

What model is it? Albion doesn’t seem that rare, I feel like we’ve sold a few in the past.

You dont have Childeric saddles as brand. Cool tool :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=TackHunter;8879677]
What model is it? Albion doesn’t seem that rare, I feel like we’ve sold a few in the past.[/QUOTE]

It’s an older model no longer made, according to Albion. It’s called a Cross Country. If I just put in jump, Albion came up, but I don’t know that my saddle would fall in the same category as a nice K2 or Kontrol. :stuck_out_tongue: Either way, I listed it! :smiley:

That is a neat tool. Thanks for doing it.

Did not find an option for a Medium Narrow tree. Just sold my saddle after about 9 months for quite a bit less than what shown but it did get sold.

[QUOTE=FLeventer;8879800]
You dont have Childeric saddles as brand. Cool tool :)[/QUOTE]

Just added that brand! btw If the brand/model isn’t there you can still type it in and the tool will try to see if there are any other saddles on the internet and what they sold for (besides ones sold on Tack Hunter).

It seems odd that the size selector only allows for Medium - Wide. I have primarily County saddles and almost all of my Counties are narrow trees. I know that’s somewhat unique in the saddle market (in respect to the fact that a County narrow is more like a medium in other brands), but still, would be nice to have that as an option to select.

1 Like

[QUOTE=PNWjumper;8880134]
It seems odd that the size selector only allows for Medium - Wide. I have primarily County saddles and almost all of my Counties are narrow trees. I know that’s somewhat unique in the saddle market (in respect to the fact that a County narrow is more like a medium in other brands), but still, would be nice to have that as an option to select.[/QUOTE]

You’re right, I added narrow and regular tree sizes :smiley:

I couldn’t find anything for my Custom saddles - I have always thought they’re a pretty common brand…

[QUOTE=netg;8880474]
I couldn’t find anything for my Custom saddles - I have always thought they’re a pretty common brand…[/QUOTE]

You’re talking about Custom (brand) saddles, right? if so, do you know what model it is? I’d love to research some pricing info and add it to the tool