Unlimited access >

A Most Perfect Day

Ten years ago this week I sold THE horse. Life was not going right and I had to make many changes. One of them was giving up horses.

Things happen and time goes by. To fill the void in my spirit I took up, among other things, Bird Watching!

Well through some happy circumstances and with a bit luck, I find myself back riding. One precious day a week I take lesson on a Grand Prix schoolmaster. This olde fellow is as charming as you could want your horse to be and as smart as you would want your school master to be. He gives nothing away and if I ask for a canter depart and he interprets it as a Passage, well, you gonna complain? Not me!

So today, after our snow storming first day of spring ( see "Rosey"s Grrrr post from earlier this week)today was mostly sunny. I am first to the barn and all the local birds and singing, chattering, courting and hammering. Chickadees, woodpeckers, sparrows, Robins, wrens and juncos all giving their all. I commented on this to trainer and, kindred spirit she is, she noticed and appreciated it too!

After a fun lesson with passage ( inadvertant) and flying changes (asked for) and counter lead serpentine ( yowee the girl still has it!) we got to have a lovely walk out.

The Cascades were snowy and shining in the sun. The fog in the valley below just breaking to show the lovely farmland. I took Sebastian out for a walk and showed him all the birds. I figured he was gracious enough to share his knowledge with me, I would impart some of my wisdom on him. High overhead two Osprey circled their nest territory below. Welcome back to our migrating friends.

Spring is here and I cannot believe my good fortune.

I cannot stop smiling.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

[This message was edited by hoopoe on Mar. 22, 2002 at 10:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by hoopoe on Mar. 22, 2002 at 10:47 PM.]

I love days like that!

visit www.victorianfarms.com

What a perfect description of the perfect spring day in the northwest. Good for you.

I have a hummingbird nest in one of my ficus trees. I have watched the teeny little mommy sit on the nest for weeks now. Just yesterday I heard her chittering about and watched. And up popped two open mouths waiting for a treat. She would go out every 15 - 20 minutes and come back and feed them, all afternoon. Talk about a dedicated mom.

Yes, the joys of spring. Unfortunately, ours only last a few days it seems, then on to toasty summer.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

O O O ( hoopoe is jumping up and down)
I know someone doing research on nest parasites who would love that nest when Mom is done ( sheesh the Rufus males arn’t even here yet ) If you could donate let me know and I will send you the particulars,

Oh to be in Arizona now that The Birds are there

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hoopoe:

Oh to be in Arizona now that The Birds are there

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WEll you wouldn’t like some of the "birds " that are here. As in SNOWBIRDS . Thank goodness they are starting to migrate north again. No scarier a sight than some 80 year old man shuffling towards the driver seat of a 40 ft motor home towing a Jeep Cherokee.

Will email you regarding the nest. This one is up rather high. Have had them before that were at eye level. Way too cute. Will get Mr. Cactus to get the ladder out when the momma moves on.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Ten years ago this week I sold THE horse. Life was not going right and I had to make many changes. One of them was giving up horses.

Things happen and time goes by. To fill the void in my spirit I took up, among other things, Bird Watching!

Well through some happy circumstances and with a bit luck, I find myself back riding. One precious day a week I take lesson on a Grand Prix schoolmaster. This olde fellow is as charming as you could want your horse to be and as smart as you would want your school master to be. He gives nothing away and if I ask for a canter depart and he interprets it as a Passage, well, you gonna complain? Not me!

So today, after our snow storming first day of spring ( see "Rosey"s Grrrr post from earlier this week)today was mostly sunny. I am first to the barn and all the local birds and singing, chattering, courting and hammering. Chickadees, woodpeckers, sparrows, Robins, wrens and juncos all giving their all. I commented on this to trainer and, kindred spirit she is, she noticed and appreciated it too!

After a fun lesson with passage ( inadvertant) and flying changes (asked for) and counter lead serpentine ( yowee the girl still has it!) we got to have a lovely walk out.

The Cascades were snowy and shining in the sun. The fog in the valley below just breaking to show the lovely farmland. I took Sebastian out for a walk and showed him all the birds. I figured he was gracious enough to share his knowledge with me, I would impart some of my wisdom on him. High overhead two Osprey circled their nest territory below. Welcome back to our migrating friends.

Spring is here and I cannot believe my good fortune.

I cannot stop smiling.

_\]
– * > hoopoe

[This message was edited by hoopoe on Mar. 22, 2002 at 10:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by hoopoe on Mar. 22, 2002 at 10:47 PM.]

If I was a DQ, Elliot and I could have joined you this morning.

I too had a nice time listening to the lovely birds this morning and I finally have some finches on my niger thistle feeder!!
Spring Has Sprung!!

I am so happy to hear your lesson went so well, but I know how much you cherish being back in the saddle.
You Go Girl!!!

What a lovely little essay and bit of personal reflection. I, too, enjoy my birds! We get quite a few migratory ones out this way. No better way to enjoy nature than on the back of a horse, though!

“Go away, kid, you bother me.” - W.C. Fields