Unlimited access >

A Musing on Riding In France (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Ride)

Well, it’s coming up on a year riding in Franceland and I thought I would muse (aka vent) here in the name of cultural exchange. I’ve come across some things that I thought I would never get over (see: long manes) and I’ve run into more red tape than I knew was in production…but it’s been an interesting ride thus far.

We live in NW France (Brittany), which is not urban by any means. Lots of rain means lots of farms - of the artichoke variety, not the equine however. There are three barns within a 30 minute radius of where I live - I ride at one, my neice at another, and the third was basically a covered sandpit with a chainlink pasture for 30 horses so I passed (though the third barn is actually the show barn in the region…riddle me that). Even though we have hundreds of acres of rolling pastures, the three barns all offer minimal turnout - which I guess is OK because the horses are used in 3-4 hour + lessons per day. The barns have no windows or ventilation, the fences are usually a single electric wire 3 feet off the ground (or chainlink), the arenas smaller than a dressage ring with one or two jumps if that. All the barns are pretty ‘backyard,’ even searching farther out for a show barn leaves me scratching my head. Most people who own a horse keep them in their garden and then trailer or ride in for a lesson, but boarding is available for around 200 euro a month (not sure on the details) and lessons are around 18 euros for an hour and a half. Taxes were just raised on equestrian centers so my trainer teachers 23 lessons a week with 8-10 riders per lesson (no boarding, no shows, just lessons).

My lesson Saturday was the first time in a year I didn’t see someone fall off. There are usually 8 to 10 of us (see: smaller than a dressage ring) so it’s only possible if you follow the leader around the ring. Imagine a warm up ring at a big show and that is pretty much the ambience of the lesson. It’s nearly impossible to canter around the ring because of a) the follow the leader system which inevitably is lead by a pony who stops in the middle of the path or b) half the lesson is taking the time to work on their own things, like learning how to walk in a straight line c) half the lesson has gone to the fence to take a picture of them making heart symbols with their hands on their ponies.

France is a country built on diplomas and certifications and horseback riding is no different. There are 7 GALOP exams that a rider must complete. GALOP 1 you can name the saddle and walk trot, GALOP 3 you can trot through cavalettis and canter, GALOP 7 you can jump a 1 meter course, counter canter, etc. I rode with the GALOP 6-7 group and was the only one who did not fall off or have a refusal (the jump was 2’6"). The constant falls are not due to the horses - the horses are saints, happy and fat - but at a trot-canter transition, a circle, or just a horse who trots a little too fast. And of course, the refusals.

It is my holy opinion that the exam system leads to these holes - they do not judge on any aspect of equitation - heels down, eyes up, no it’s not a straight line from shoulder to bit (true story), it’s elbow to bit, deep seat, wrap your legs around the barrel, etc. It is judged on “are you riding a horse who understands how to do a shoulder-in when you ask” (note: almost everyone takes their feet out of the stirrups to do lateral work - is this normal?). So the priorities are interesting and lead to a lot of body vests being bought.

George Morris is irrelevent - there are ponytails flying, boobs bouncing, Wintec saddles and mismatched bridles, rubber boots and oh the manes! The long flowing unicorn-esque manes! I have started braiding before I ride because my hands get lost in the flowiness. The good news is I am getting great at feeling for my leads (because I can’t see anything darn it).

While France may not have the fancy barns and discipline for foundations that is so popular Stateside, they do win hands down on the hacking out option. Miles and miles of bridlepaths that go everywhere across the country with view to die for. And of course, the follow-the-leader style translates well while on the trail.

I’ve spent a lot of time being frustrated because I couldn’t find what I was expecting - a decent barn with the opportunity to show, lease a horse or ride some greenies, etc. I’ve spent most of my time translating horse terms to practice for the Theory exam (or learning horse French which is a whole other language), and my lateral work is getting pretty solid too. I guess I’m just happy to ride (affordably to boot) -no competion, no stress, though I miss having a goal to work towards on my own horse (the goal now is stay out of the way when someone falls off and pony charges around the ring). It’s hard to hear stories from Germany (so close yet apparently another world) about people who ride with great trainers on great horses because I just can’t find that here. But I’ll keep searching.

Would love to hear your stories on when a circumstance kept you back and what you learned from that. Would also love insight on what I can do to be a better rider while trotting around in a circle for the 50th time. Or if you have any questions on this side of the pond let me know.

Riding geared to the lowest common denominator.

You can find that in the USA also.
There are some regions there is nothing, none, zip other than less than basic riding instruction.
Not only that, without licensed stables and instructors at all, not even confidence that the horses are treated right or any kind of student safety is known.

I would be glad just to have access to horses, consider it an interesting experience, if not at the level of riding and management you may be used to.

Keep looking, there may be some that are better than others and fit what you are looking for better.

Interesting story on your experience - good for you for sticking with it. I might have given up before I got to the point where I enjoyed it.

If I were you (OP), I think I’d take the “when in Rome…” approach, ditch the school work while there, and get out and really enjoy the trail-riding.

We went trail-riding in the foothills of the Pyrenees years ago, and loved every minute. You can’t ride from medieval castle to medieval castle on prehistoric trails here in N America. Who cares about George Morris when there are endless opportunities to explore ancient and beautiful France!

The tack was fantastic, too - locally made by a real craftsman. All sorts of clever stuff on the saddle, and beautiful bridle that converted to a halter in seconds.

It doesn’t look too crowded in the picture…
You could also ask for private or semi-private (2 people) lesson.
There are probably more suitable barns if you are willing to travel a bit.
Maybe go up to Normandy for the week-end where there are bigger/fancier barns.
Enjoy the trail riding!

I had a very similar experience in Spain. I rode at a schoolie barn based at a racetrack once a week (it was the only one I could reach by public transportation) and it was very, very, VERY different from what I was expecting! Same teeny ring, one or maybe two jumps, large lessons, and follow-the-leader style. But OH the trails! There was a large cross country course in the center of the track, which we never jumped in, but we did go on long hacks through it, and off around the property as well.

I just decided to roll with it and let my trainer deal with the fall out when I got home after a year. :lol:

George who? Lol yes he’s unknown in France, as are most US riders.

The ring in that picture actually looks pretty nice, but what you are describing isn’t up to par with my own experience, especially if you are in the Galop 7 group - typically at this level, they let you work the horse individually, you jump courses, etc. etc. Is this club preparing riders for the Galops?
Maybe look around more? I am not familiar with Brittany at all, unfortunately, but…is there a military riding school nearby ( SHN or société hippique nationale)? Or a UCPA? Those usually have higher standards, better instructors and better facilities. If your club is primarily a trail riding club, I am not surprised at what you are describing.
And no, taking off the stirrups for lateral work isn’t the norm…it’s more of a beginner problem…and riders at the Galop 7 level certainey should be able to handle a low jump like that and should certainely NOT fall off at trot etc! Their level sounds more like Galop 3 to me…!!
Sounds like unless you find a better “centre” you’re better off just trail riding, unless you can find a horse to half lease!

[QUOTE=sophie;7782026]
George who? Lol yes he’s unknown in France, as are most US riders.

The ring in that picture actually looks pretty nice, but what you are describing isn’t up to par with my own experience, especially if you are in the Galop 7 group - typically at this level, they let you work the horse individually, you jump courses, etc. etc. Is this club preparing riders for the Galops?
Maybe look around more? I am not familiar with Brittany at all, unfortunately, but…is there a military riding school nearby ( SHN or société hippique nationale)? Or a UCPA? Those usually have higher standards, better instructors and better facilities. If your club is primarily a trail riding club, I am not surprised at what you are describing.
And no, taking off the stirrups for lateral work isn’t the norm…it’s more of a beginner problem…and riders at the Galop 7 level certainey should be able to handle a low jump like that and should certainely NOT fall off at trot etc! Their level sounds more like Galop 3 to me…!!
Sounds like unless you find a better “centre” you’re better off just trail riding, unless you can find a horse to half lease![/QUOTE]

Yes I agree they didn’t seem so up to par - it was a three hour stage before they were going to take the exam at a different stable. That’s what the picture was from - we were jumping three jumps so for once not follow the leader so much! But still I was amazed at the frequency of ‘slipping off.’

I found this about an hour away: http://www.paysdecorlay.com/page/la-societe-des-courses But seems to be a racetrack instead of a riding centre? The more I investigate the more I realize I really do live in Finistere (the end of the world). It seems the best barns are in Ile-de-Paris around Paris which seems crazy as I can’t imagine driving to the barn everyday from Paris. Mais c’est la vie!

I’m going out tonight for a lesson and probably a trail ride after, will try to take some photos.

And if we stick around Finistere, I’ll just go back to that racetrack and find some steeplechasers that finish last and put them in my garden like the rest of them :wink:

Edited to add a link to our native Breton breed: http://www.france-trait.fr/en/race/breton.html. They make adorable lawn mowers too :slight_smile:

Yes that is a racetrack - looks beautiful! I found this forum when looking for a centre équestre in Finistère, hopefully you can read French? Lots of comments and reviews on several Centres. Good luck!
http://www.chevalannonce.com/forums-6486553-centre-equestre-dans-le-29-finistere?p=2

Ps - let me know if you need anything translated!

Lucky you, OP!!! We came within a heartbeat of buying an equestrian property in Brittany (Morbihan) just over 2 years ago. Oh, be still my heart!!! As Americans in the EU, we don’t have any of the perks afforded our British friends. Taxation is a nightmare for us in the UK, but in France…no way!

One of the reasons we originally considered moving to Brittany (besides being closer to many British friends who have built wonderful lives over there) is the space and miles of quiet roads…France has close to 4 times the land and approximately the same number of people as the UK. Most of my expat friends spend endless hours out on the trails. I was hoping I’d be seduced into the saddle again, after having lost my nerve in 1996.

I know my post doesn’t help you in your quest for a more satisfactory barn. However, you must know you live in an environment that is so conducive to a stress-free, horse-friendly, peaceful existence. Enjoy!

I’m jealous of your trails! There’s very little that you can’t practice on the trail as well as you can in the arena, and you can have more fun doing it. Vive la difference :slight_smile:

I very much enjoyed my solid year (and a few summers after that) of riding in France 40+ years ago. Yes, the setups are different from the US, but that isn’t a case of good or bad, just what is. Yes, turnout is minimal, and in fact when I rode there standing stalls were more the norm than box stalls, but I have to say I never saw a horse with colic which says to me that the management worked fine.

My instructor was Cadre Noir trained, and the instruction was first rate, for dressage as well as over fences lessons. Yes, we jumped 4 and a half feet and more in a tiny round indoor, it sure makes you develop your balance so that you can land ‘in control’ and able to execute your turn instead of face planting in a corner of the manege.

I showed successfully there in the jumpers at local/regional shows, and the trail rides were phenomenal.