Unlimited access >

A pictoral timeline of hunter dress codes from the last (gulp!) 50 years. UPDATE: New Pics -- p8

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PonyPlay:
Perf tell me if I’m wrong, but I do belive that in your last and most recent picture the blue helmet you are riding in is not a cover? Is it one of those funky CO’s?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are correct
I’m not sure if it’s a step up from the helmet covers… or just a step sideways

The only decent photos I have are all boring equitation stuff. Or win shots where I look like a deer staring into headlights. So you just go ahead and post away with your photos, Lord Helpus.

And just for the record, Missy, those are PLASTIC chips in my horse’s shin boots, not GLASS chips.

What a wonderful family tradition with horses! Thank you for sharing your lovely photos, LHU, I’ve enjoyed them all!!!

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t - you are right.” -Henry Ford

Thank you! Okay, even I know that helmet. Perhaps it means “Grand Prix Approved?” How much do they usually go for new?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OneonOne:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mbdobbs:
Okay, can someone help me with some of these abbreviations? I understand a GPA is a Grand Prix … ??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>mbdobbs, a GPA is a brand of approved helmet - one of the helmets with the vent “stripe” on the front, also known as a “skunk helmet.” As of yet, I don’t think anyone knows what the initials stand for. I’ve seen several threads about it, but no answers!

Any coupon works! Beware of paper cuts!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LH - fabulous pictures. Your mother’s pic is just lovely. I enjoyed them all thoroughly, thank you.

I remember the pleated paisley chokers, LOL.

Come on, I know more of you have little treasures tucked away, get those scanners going.

I think the six-year-old jumping with the pinto pony and the beautiful automatic release MUST be sent to GM at Practical Horseman. He would love it!

OMGiH. I’m cracking up over the hotdog in the sandwich case and description of a ratcatcher.

LH - It is now obvious to everyone on this board that you are perfect and have been since you were 6 years old. Please stop posting pictures- you are making me feel so darn inadequate!!!

LOVELY pictures- some ones of Valor that I’ve not seen before. Definetly a hunter that needed a bellyguard! I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your pictures (even if they do make me jealous! )

Pictures: My Album

What a beautiful gray!!!

~ ~ ~ ~

Alison

“Why does this happen to me? What is a Javascript and why is mine void???” - Lord Helpus

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:
I feel deprived. I never had any tack-- noseband or otherwise-- with my initials stitched into the leather. However, it does sound like a trend that needs to be resurrected!

Count me in the group that once wore a powder blue huntcoat and the madras plaid.

Wow seems like a lot of you all are nostalgic for that baby blue hunt coat. Darn, I found one on E-bay in my size a couple of weeks ago, the seller was located in Great Britain. It had the hunting horse buttons and gorgeous velvet collar. I was considering buying it to keep as sort of a closet museum piece! I wish I had bid on it now…

The photos are all lovely! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kriskohnke

I see you have also upgraded to the HS stirrups, too!

Kim

Thanks LH for that great story! I can picture you having to stay up late to jimmy together buttons on breeches in the days of velcro! At least they stayed on, right? And thanks also for putting up with what probably seem like silly questions. I’ve been out of the horse world for 20 years and am just finding my way back. My final question is, is the shadbelly and top hat optional for most hunter classes? I still think of the hunter ring as one where you can’t go wrong wearing a dark colored navy wool jacket, light ratcatcher, beige or white breeches and field boots, as long as everything’s spic and span.

So glad a friend told me about these forums.

Melissa

LH, i sent you a PT about 2 weeks ago… tried to tell you about it then, but the topic got bumped down… check your pt’s?

I’m very impressed with the 6 year old… the pony is adorable too. and i love that grey.

“ma’am, you’ve got to understand that this is much bigger than any domestic problems you may be having. We’re on a mission from God”

I love the (not OLD, to me, they’re just REGULAR!!!) pictures. too bad the pictureof ME at age 5 (1957) is on a REALLLLLY ugly black pony in western-type tack with the saddle WAYYYYY up on his withers, and I’m proud in VERRRRRRY flared jodhpurs and a horse-head-print shirt that my mother PROUDLY got at a swap meet. We didn’t KNOW the western tack and English attire didn’t match until YEARS later…

Love is all there is

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
OK, lets start this off 49 years ago (so I lied about the 50 year thing. So sue me.)

Jr. Essex Troop, NJ.

Small Pony Hunters

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you! As per my request from the NJ thread? The Apache picture

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horsaholic:
I think you should think about having a book published of your show life with these wonderful horses! Maybe Merry could do the writing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(Lord Helpus’ reply): “Believe me, if a book is worthy of being written, therre are hundreds, if not thousands, of people more worthy of starring in it than me.”

But ya’ know, we all have our price. I believe, for a certain amount of cash and estate jewelry, I can make room in my schedule oh, around September.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Everything else is pretty similar to today, except for all the fancy stitching which was big in the 80’s, as was mentioned in the other thread. If the picture was bigger, one could see that my initials are stitched into the center of the noseband…<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you telling me they used to monogram bridles!!! I want one!!! Were they done with the riders initials? Or the horses??? Does anyone have up close pictures of such “fancy stitching”???

"While girls schools are notoriously wild, the true party-hearty girl attends Hollins" ~The Preppy Handbook

-Adult Pony Rider Clique-
-Disgruntled college student clique-
-Short stubby leg clique-

~*Smoke Rise Charlie*~(R.I.P.) ~*Asgard Rhinestone Cowboy*~ ~*Caught Napping*~ ~*Sundance Kid*~

This was our Christmas card in 1952 when I was three. I am the cute, chubby faced cherub in the front. Now, all together: “AWWWWWWWWW…”

I still have a copy of the card and it says:

Not by reindeer, nor by sleigh
Do Christmas greetings come your way;
We celebrate Lord Jesus’ birth
By cinching up our saddle girth
And riding 'round to pay a call.
Sara, Deb, and Pammy Hall.

AWWWWWWWW…

"Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" ---  Erin, Chief Cathearder.  [img]http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

![Christmas_card.jpg|500x393](upload://rci3W8c9d8XmufhEK5lQJByyMGX.jpeg)

LH/Pam, you look wonderful! What a gorgeous rider you are! Those photos are beautiful and you should be so proud! That picture is amazing of you as a child 6yrs old! Wow!
Thanks for sharing these, I hope you post some more!!

Wow! Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing those priceless photos. Sometimes I feel that I was born about 20 years late as far as the horse world is concerned…
Thanks!

kriskohnke