Unlimited access >

A pictoral timeline of hunter dress codes from the last (gulp!) 50 years. UPDATE: New Pics -- p8

OK, lets start this off 49 years ago (so I lied about the 50 year thing. So sue me.)

Jr. Essex Troop, NJ.

Small Pony Hunters

Note: Long Shank pelham, big round fat braids (held in with rubber bands), huge loop in tail braid, number in collar of coat, thin white elastic “chin strap” sewn in by mother who loved me and thought it would make a difference, black coat and big old clunky off the rack boots.

But, notice the size of the jump! Pretty impressive for a 6 year old, eh?

"Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" ---  Erin, Chief Cathearder.  [img]http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on May. 09, 2004 at 06:42 PM.]

![Apache_1955.jpg|768x521](upload://2hCzIw5O9c30O0thC5AwCF33MOq.jpeg)

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bea:
Sounds like MAD might have solved the problem with his/her good idea.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MAD is a her.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you say. And how do you know?

Yes, MAD does have a good idea which I have been using for other pictures. But I live in the country. With a dial up. A slow dial up. It can take minutes to upload a picture from one computer , more minutes to download it on the other, and another several minutes to upload it to COTH. To say nothing of signing on and off AOL on first one and then the other computer. All in all, it is a real PITA that takes all evening.

So, while I figure out this conundrum, lets play:

“Guess who this is?”

I will give you a hint.

1. The rider is older than dirt.
"Oh yeah, I'll bet you're fat and can't ride!" ---  Erin, Chief Cathearder.  [img]http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on May. 04, 2004 at 09:12 PM.]

![rust.JPG|448x343](upload://klAlbgaQMtij2AhymFp34xwhc5e.jpeg)

Wow! What cool pics! Your mom is absolutely lovely in that pic of her when she was young, and of course all of you on the pony is cute too! Ah heck, they are ALL cute pics!

Devilpups
Don’t click here…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merry:
I feel deprived. I never had any tack-- noseband or otherwise-- with my initials stitched into the leather. However, it does sound like a trend that needs to be resurrected!

Count me in the group that once wore a powder blue huntcoat and the madras plaid.

The photos are all lovely! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Merry said “tack-noseband!!!”
(LH, your pics are awesome)

Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

i love seeing that time warp. i can’t wait til i can dig out my pics and look back and see what everything looked like.

btw that pinto pony in the first pic reminds me of my the pony i rode for 2 years. he would jump like heck and was such a devil.

http://community.webshots.com/s/image6/9/75/54/80997554lhAtTL_ph.jpg
http://community.webshots.com/s/image12/6/29/80/138962980Nobirs_ph.jpg
http://community.webshots.com/s/image7/6/59/36/89365936Laasqq_ph.jpg

***Hallie

-if you feel like you’re under control, you’re just not going fast enough - mario andretti

http://community.webshots.com/user/hhoney87

[This message was edited by RisinRider on May. 10, 2004 at 06:15 PM.]

Probably due to better photographic equipment now.

Pam and others, I love the pics. It makes me wish I had a “horsey” childhood. My parents provided me with lessons and (second hand) clothes etc but no one in my very very urban lace curtain Irish family had anything to do with horses once the milk was delivered by truck.
I used to see the Chronicle at the barn and wish that I could be in one of those handsome “horsey family” photos.
Needless to say I am still living vicariously through people like you, Pam.

Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Last one of Valor – the Madison Square Garden picture

![Valor_msg.jpg|630x495](upload://lWpSC4keYV3p9HrXByENTJ6oopA.jpeg)

Moving from mid 60’s to mid 70’s – this is when things got weird.

Baby blue coats, rust breeches, velvet collars and pocket flaps… We thought we were stylin’!!!

But, the huge Stubben saddle flaps are gone and boots are now custom. So some parts of the modern look are sneaking in there. Also, although you can’t see it, braiding has become “modern”. (No tail braid since the horse rubbed his to the bone on the 24 hour van ride down to Fla. It was gross…)

But that pesky automatic release is still there… Well, it will go away sooner or later…

This is WPB in 1977 in the A/O’s

![Moolah_fla_1976.jpg|525x375](upload://a1OXNN8Vx6w9SvnVGeVjAQScKyO.jpeg)

1 Like

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
suzss, no you weren’t the only one with a madras coat.

And before the rest of you youngsters start laughing, remember, this picture was taken in 1968. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely fabulous!
Thanks for sharing.

kriskohnke

I am so disapointed at your abandonment of the auto release! This post was beginning to look like a photo gallery of excellent releases. I think the crest relese is icky.

Go retro! Go auto!

Reaglebeagle,

You look familiar. Whre is that horse show in the indoor picture? I sure miss mudknots. They really showed off a horse’s hind end. And, for a horse with a less than stellar tail, I think that they looked better than a fake tail.

Yesterday at KHP, I saw many absolutely gorgeous, jaw dropping, 12 moving, knee snapping, back cracking, to die for horses with tails that were obviously bought at the custom tail store. They were just too think and swung funny and the bottoms were unnatural. In a fake tail, less is more. But too many people think that more is more.

But, I digress. I miss the old mud knots. Pure and simple. And I also like your horse and your eq. A lovely picture.

mbdobbs: I cannot recall ever seeing a shadbelly in grand prix jumping! And certainly not a top hat in the grand prix ring. I believe you are mistaken – even if you are thinking back through the decades. The image of a jumper rider going around in a shadbelly and top hat just plain makes me smile.

Shadbellies are indigenous to the hunt field, which is why they appear in the hunter ring. In the old days it was appropriate to show in a hunt coat and derby for regular classes and a shadbelly and top hat in appointments or corinthian classes (or later, in what they called “formal attire” classes). In the Madison Square Garden picture, I am riding in a formal attire class. I can tell because, not only am I wearing a shadbelly and top hat, but I have all the “extras” like the boot straps (that had to be worn through the second and third buttons on the breeches legs – a real trick in the days of velcro. I sat in my NYC hotel room and cut all those little buttons off my show shirts that were half way down the openings in the sleeves and sewed them onto each leg of my canary breeches below the knee seam so I would have buttons to put the boot strap between.)

The difference between a formal attire class and a corinthian class is that in the former the rider had to dress in the old, traditional way, but the horse was not required to wear flat tack and sewn in bridle, no saddle pad or stirrup pad, etc.

One thing I haven’t seen comments on is the solid jump in the second picture. OMGiH, you must be a little tetched in the head like us wacko eventers!

One of these years, I expect the two of them [Bruce and Philip] to have their own division at Rolex, and contest it riding cattle. And they’d both still make the time. – Heather
Eventing Yahoo In Training

this is such a neat topic! keep the pictures coming! I can’t wait to look back on the pictures we take today… I wonder what we’ll be thinking of today’s trends?

~Shanon… caregiver to “the Perdster”
member of the College, Disgruntled College Student, The Mighty TB, OTTB, and Michigan cliques… founder of the “I’m broke and still ride” clique!

Ohhhh, thank you LH!! Having just gone thru my mom’s things, pictures etc, you have brought back some very fun memories. Wish I had a scanner, or maybe not. Those literally were the days. And yes, those fences were always solid on the outside courses. You hit it, you crashed and burned. Loved the one with the fat braids. I’ll bet you did those yourself? Have one of my first pony, same loveliness…Even down to the long shanked pelham. Must have been the bit du jour…

Lordhelpus-

This thread has been great. Your pictures are beautiful and the styles bring back a lot of memories and chuckles.I wish I had a scanner to post some pictures.

I remember my mother not allowing my sisters and me to wear jeans to ride in until the early sixties. It was always boots and breeches - in the winter it was thick corduroy ones with the craziest button up fly front. I do also remember my first pair of custom boots and of course I wanted them with the patent leather tops. I thought I was the cat’s a$$ in them.

I also remember when the breeches went from flared to semi-flared and then to non-flared. I for some reason felt like I would be wearing tights if I went to the non-flared breeches. My trainer told or scolded me and my mother to forget eating lunch and get some non-flared breeches. We were at Fairfield that weekend and thus I started wearing what I thought were tights. We laughed about it for years as I thought I was wild wearing the semi-flared.

About 1965 I stepped of the earth and bought a pair of chaps. I was the only english riding girl to own a pair in about a
about a 50 mile radius. I loved them but boy did I take a lot os sh$$ because of them.

The rolled bridle I kept until about two years ago. Stopped using it but kept it out of love for it. I finally said goodbye and gave to someone who shows Arabs.

Sorry to say I never had I red coat. The hunt coat with the hunt collar is still in the closet. No longer hunt and no appointment classes either so maybe I can get buried in it along with my sewn in bridle and sandwhich case.

Anyways- thanks for the walk down memory lane!!!

edited for incorrect spelling- but I am sure I still missed some

Absooooolutely wonderful Pam
Keep coming with the cool photos!!!

“Remember: You’re A Customer In A Service Industry.”
“Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies,and SunnieFlax Cliques”

Next, we have my mother with one of the horses bred by my grandfather, who bred TB’s to cold blooded, hunt horses to get horses for the show ring. I guess you could say that he was the original breeder of the American version of the Warmblood. He started his breeding program at his farm in upstate NY (Geneseo, NY for those who are from that area) in the 1930’s).

This picture was taken right before WW II, so mother would have been about 19 - 20 and the show would have been in New Jersey.

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on May. 09, 2004 at 06:45 PM.]

![mom_leading.jpg|500x342](upload://vr4djryVetVdKl0J6Ue15uJrwoS.jpeg)

I love all the old pictures - so much flair shows up over outside courses and substantial jumps like that! I love the grey horse, Moolah, too - so nice.

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/madisonav">http://community.webshots.com/user/madisonav</a>

So… A little birdy told me that your current horse,George, is on par or nicer than Valor. I know you had a picture of him somewhere, but would love to see some more.