Unlimited access >

A point to make about brain injury ...

After my head injury, I noticed a loss of organizational skills for probably 4-6 weeks. It was weird…we were going on a camping trip, and I had the hardest time deciding what I needed at the grocery store, and I ended up sort of wandering around and buying WAY too much stuff. This was NOT normal for me at all. Also, when I went back to work after 2 weeks, it took me a couple of weeks to get back to normal. I had to do some really complicated geometry calcs to set street alignments, and I had the hardest time with it. I sat at my desk feeling so confused.

I was lucky in that everything came right back fairly quickly. But it really scared me to think that I could have lost those skills forever.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

That is a very good point to make

The doctor calls it “recovering” because it’s much easier to splain.

In my case … I remember going back to the office two or three weeks after my Unplanned Dismount. This was after intensive care, etc. Spent about 20 minutes sitting in front of my computer, trying to get my finger to push the ON button. Knew that was what had to happen, but it didn’t work.

Or if you asked me what color the sky was, in my head I would say blue but when I answered, I would say “yellow,” because I could not make the correct answer come out.

I could not walk a straight line for years. To this day, when I am very tired or mentally on overload, I cannot walk a straight line. And many, many, many more things, but I don’t want to belabor it.

And on top of that, which is something that Francesca and I discussed in email last week (MAD “introduced” us), each and every brain injury reacts totally differently from each and every brain injury, even if it was identical.

The ONLY thing which did “recover” had nothing to do with recovery, it had to do with movement. I fell on the back of my head, no helmet (that ONLY time, no joke), on hardpack. Broke my skull in seven places, fractured my jaw (still have awful TMJ), ripped all the cartilage up one side of my nose on the inside, and my right eardrum burst out. But before it did, the CSF and blood built up behind it, and that caused a big pocket. The pocked would fill with fluid and I had debilitating vertigo.

Last month, after nearly seven years, I got off ativan, which I was taking for the reverse effect - if you take ativan, it makes you dizzy, if you are already dizzy, it makes you normal. So I could finally get off it and when I told my dr, he said “Oh, good, then that part healed by going back to the normal way it was before your accident.” I still have to take a strong diuretic every day and restrict salt intake, otherwise I do spin and spin, and becuase of this I have to take a potassium replacement as well. But least I am off of one.

My accident happened on November 24, 1995. The rest of that year and all of 1996 are just tiny snippets, since most of that time is completely gone from my life. No recollection.

My poor mother, she had just gone through my dad having a benign brain tumor removed when I took my header.

Richard Spooner’s mother Ginny, the first day I went back to the stable (for a half hour, that was all I could manage), ripped me an new asshole the likes of nothing you could imagine. We still talk about it. I, of all people, always the poster child for approved helmets, without one. I, the poster child for not going out in ratty knickers, wearing the rattiest ones AND shredded pantihose under the breeches.

My doctor said if I had worn an unapproved, I would have had just as much shit happen. With an approved, it would have been one hell of a headache and minor concussion, but nothing at all like what I had.

And God bless my best friend, aka Pinkerdo on the BB, for every bit of support she gave me through that ordeal. I could kiss her ass every single day for the rest of my life and I could still never thank her enough for the help and support and friendship and such she gave me then.

Friends, I am not joking. I could barely even get up out of bed to shuffle to the john, and I could not move my arms enough to pull down my knickers to pee. I could not raise my arms higher than boob level or I would pass out. Lost my sense of smell and taste for about 1 1/2 years. My hearing on the right is still shot.

AND ALL BECAUSE I WAS TO VAIN TO PUT ON A HELMET. JUST ONE TIME. THAT’S ALL IT TAKES TO @#$% UP YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, OFTEN FOREVER.

Robby J, I still wanna marry you, especially when you post good stuff like this.

…and I thought it was bad that I couldn’t tolerate bright lights after my concussion! That, and the splitting headache every time I bent over. Those were the only after-effects I had, and they went away after about 2 or 3 weeks.

Regarding the Ativan, please be careful when coming off of it, because it is a physically-addicting CNS drug; in other words, as your blood level drops, you may begin to feel some withdrawl symptoms.

Kudos to you for having battled back so fiercely!

~Sara

“If you can’t dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull.” -Bart Simpson

Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron

Intense thread. I would sometimes skip the helmet (only when jumping would I wear one) after this, I will always wear it. Thank you all for this…it has opened my eyes.

I will copy this over to Off Course, and leave this copy here and open - so people can post in both places.

I LOVE the idea of non-shadbelly’s in Dressage - especially after the nasty comments about Sue Blinks - who is NOT heavy by any STRETCH of the imagination!!

Helmets are a good thing - my last major concussion saved my life, however, strange as that sounds…

19 year member of the New Hope clique!

I have to add my two cents here. Brain injuries don’t just cause physical problems…

I fell off my horse August 12, 1999. We were in the ring, doing dressage, I was wearing my approved helmet. The only reason we know this is when my sister came to get me, my dressage tack was sitting out (I didn’t know where to put it) my helmet and gloves were next to my tack (soaked with sweat) and I was hand grazing my horse near the ring (I didn’t know where to put her, either). I was the barn manager of the farm, and I couldn’t remember these very simple things. I spent the rest of the day and that night in the ER.

That’s what my family says, I don’t remember that day, or the day before. In fact, the concussion I suffered while wearing my approved helmet has permanently affected my long term memory.

Over time, I’ve come to realize how much I’ve lost. Just recently, my family has as well. My mother was recently regailing a friend of hers with a story from my middle school years, and turned to me for details. I couldn’t even remember the incident she was talking about, much less any details. I remember almost nothing from my adolecent years. Even less about my childhood years.

I was refused a security clearance that would’ve made me eligible for a promotion because I couldn’t remember details about past employment. I had even forgotten I worked for a graphic design agency during my first year in college, and the security officer thought I was deliberately withholding information.

The only thing I can say is thank god I was wearing my helmet. In fact, that day, the ER doctor was lecturing me on not wearing my helmet. When my sister pointed out that I was, he became very quiet, then told her if I hadn’t, I’d probably be dead. I don’t remember this either, my sister told me later.

I just wanted to point out other effects of brain injuries.

Sweetie! OMG I never thought of it until I read your post - THIS is why I am forever transposing numbers!

I cannot tell you what relief it brought, reading your post - so awful to read about anyone’s injury, but by sharing that it made all the difference in the world just now for me.

You have no idea.

I loff you for posting it, in a very strange way it makes my day. It has answered a BIG question.

My father had a major concussion back in 1939 or 40 from a car or motorcycle accident. He was in a coma for a long time. He once said the most difficult thing he ever had to do was learn to tie his shoes again.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t the threapy there is now, nor did we ever talk about it. I NOW know that many of my father physical problems - mostly balance related - were due to this head injury.

What was really sad was how it came to haunt him in his last few months of life - things he couldn’t do that the doctors didn’t realize (til we told them) that he could NEVER do, as well as problems he had - such as a swallowing problem - I remember him choking often when I was growing up - we used to think he didn’t chew his food - WRONG! It was a problem with his throat and wind pipe function that was related to the HEAD INJURY. (when we told the drs about the head, it was an epiphany for them…)

So, not only do those of us with head injuries have to deal with the here and now, we have the long term effect to consider (or not!).

Every ride, every time, for sure!

19 year member of the New Hope clique!

Fred, I think in your situation the helmet/face guard thing is really a good idea. Do you have a “Play It Again Sports” shop in Canada? It’s a consignment/resale shop with sporting goods, at decent prices.

I have considered wearing a helmet on the ground, too. A few weeks ago, when it was still warm and we still had flies, I was painting Rhodey’s front feet (kneeling in front of him, like a dumbass) and I took a knee to the forehead that rattled me pretty good. You know what I really wished I’d had, in that situation? A mouthguard! And not my bleaching trays!

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

thanks for the reminder!!

for myself (who has had 3 concussions from riding, the first one being 21 years ago), i switched to wearing a gpa full-time after i hurt my back in a fall this winter. i had always worn an approved type hat for schooling at home (luckily i had on a caliente when i fell off 21 years ago, i hit so hard it cracked!!), but for the past few years i used a Patey for showing.

as a tie-in to the other thread on the colored stripes on the gpa’s… i love them because it makes the gpa’s more fun. i think outside with no overhead lights it would be hard to notice them.
so i will continue to wear mine in the hunters even with my new ‘racing stripes’!!

If you don’t wear a helmet for yourself,
wear a helmet for the people who care about you.

Pais.

But let’s talk about the cheerleader who is learning to tie her shoes. Dunno about them, but with me it was SUCH a great thing to be able to turn on that computer. Oh my God, the first time I could make a cup of tea I wanted to hire a band and have a party.

I have noticed, through all of it, that those of us who have taken a good whack are not, generally, the ones saying “Oh poor me.” It’s the people around us that we feel bad for. Our successes are measures in very tiny increments, yet each is a true achievement. First you are filled with an overwhelming relief that you are still of this world. Plus there’s some type of inner calmness that I had where I realized - first time I could not do something I wanted - that it was going to take time.

Mostly I just wanted it to get back to how it was before. Now it’s as close to that as it is going to get, and I will NEVER complain.

There are profound changes as well. With me, it was a great relief that I was alive and was not paralyzed. Baby, that is the great leveler in life. After that, it has to be pretty bad to eek a rise outta me. Because when you were that close to dying, all that matters is that you and your family and friends are alive and healthy and happy, that your horse is alive and healthy and happy and that you got another chance at life.

Love your theory! How big a hat can they make, anyway?

Seriously, after I visited a friend in the rehab place for a horse-related brain injury, I was MUCH more aware of the bad possibilities. Hat hair is a small price to pay.

Knocking your head around without protection can cause other problems besides brain damage. I have benign positional vertigo which the neurologist believes has come from one to many head impacts (football, skiing, etc.) It is not a major problem and doesn’t bother my riding but it can make me walk like a drunk from time to time.

With proper shock absorbing head gear, I probably would not have this condition.

“I’d be more tactful, if I were wrong.”

As someone who was severly injured while working with a youngster on the ground, I definitely support the idea of wearing a helmet while working with horses on the ground. I was cow kicked in the head (I’m short), by a youngster who was upset about getting on a trailer. While he did not aim at me and it was not maliciously done, the damage was the same and I was very lucky (with minimal long term damage despite the plate in my forehead).

I have to admit I still don’t wear one all the time, but do when I’m working around feet or doing something that they may resist or be aggravated by. I am also a lot more careful in general. I NEVER thought that my “big wreck” would happen while I wasn’t even riding!

Personality changes are the most lasting after effect of TBI.

My brother, a national merit finalist, had a serious BI. It took him about 6 years to finish college after that. He is marginally employable. He is married with two children. He is a HUGE sucess story in relation to the seriousness of his injury. He also has nearly no recollection of his pre-injury life other that what we tell him. He is totally unable to filter out the intricacies of everyday subtle human communications. His affect is often slightly inappropriate and worst of all, his children have grown up and exhibit a degree of his interpersonal problems. It’s a very real picture of how much your family life effects how you relate to the world.
Just as an example, you know when you are talking to someone and they start to fidget or shit their weight from foot to fott and look away occasionally… they are likey bored and looking for an excuse to stop talking to you… He has absolutely no ability to recognize this.
Needless to say I was the first one at my barn in an approved helmet! I am SUCH a stickler.

“I’ve got a holiday, a paid holiday, I’ve got a holiday in my head”

Equestrian Helmet Fact Sheet

Fact #1: Between 12 to 15 million persons in the United States ride a horse or pony every year.

Fact # 2. Approximately 20 percent of horse related injuries occur on the ground and not riding.

Fact # 3 Most riding injuries occur during pleasure riding.

Fact # 4. The most common reason among riders for admission to hospital and death. are head injuries.

Fact # 5: A fall from two feet (60 cm) can cause permanent brain damage. A horse elevates a rider eight feet (three meters) or more above ground.

Fact # 6: A human skull can be shattered by an impact of 7-10 kph. Horses can gallop at 65 kph.

Fact # 7: According to the National Electronic Surveillance System 1998 the most likely ages for injury is at 5-14, and 25-44 years with each decade having about 20 percent of the injuries.

Fact # 8: A rider who has one head injury has a 40 percent chance of suffering a second head injury. Children, teens and young adults are most vulnerable to sudden death from second impact syndrome: severe brain swelling as a result of suffering a second head injury before recovery from the first head injury.

Fact # 9: Death is not the only serious outcome of unprotected head injuries. Those who survive with brain injury may suffer epilepsy, intellectual and memory impairment, and personality changes.

Fact # 10. Hospital costs for an acute head injury can be in the range of $25000 per day. Lifetime extended care costs may easily exceed $3 million. There is no funding for rehabilitation outside the medical setting.

Fact # 11: Helmets work. Most deaths from head injury can be prevented by wearing ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials), SEI (Safety Equipment Institute) approved helmets that fit correctly and have the chin strap firmly applied. Other types of helmets, including bike helmets, are inadequate.

Fact # 12: Racing organizations require helmets and as a result jockeys now suffer less head injuries than pleasure riders. The US Pony Club lowered their head injury rate 29 percent with mandatory helmet use. Britain’s hospital admission rate for equestrians fell 46 percent after helmet design improved and they became in routine use.

Fact # 13: The American Academy of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association through the Committee on Sports Medicine, Canadian Medical Association, and the American Medical Equestrian Association recommend that approved, fitted and secured helmets be worn on all rides by all horseback riders.

Mainly because it makes me feel more “normal”. After atleast 3 concussions, the last one being back in December of 2001.
Since that last one I have experienced so many of the symptoms I have been reading on this thread.
And of course I hope it makes those who have not suffered a head injury think about what we are experiencing and think again about how to prevent this happening to them.

JMHO

I shall now shamelessly exploit this rare opportunity to display what I have learned in my neuropsych course. Robby’s right, the brain doesn’t heal. In the peripheral nervous system (i.e. outside your brain and spinal cord), when you receive an injury that severs connections between your axons (the neuron fiber that carries messages to other neurons), cells called microglia and Schwann cells can create new axons and restore normal function. However, in the central nervous system, glial cells can’t help damaged neurons regrow. Even if the distance that damaged fibers must bridge is short, function does not return. No one is sure why, but it’s believed to have something to do with some glial cells forming scar tissue that seals off damaged areas and creates a barrier to axon regrowth or the production of an antigrowth agent called NOGO that is normally helpful in preventing the random regrowth of axons. So, with a good whack to the head, you lose established neuronal connections that must be bypassed (as Robby mentioned, that’s the relearning process).

Cheers,
Susie
http://www.kachoom.com

“That’s it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I’m going to clown college!” ~Homer Simpson