Unlimited access >

A Question I Guarantee Has Never Been Asked Before

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Please tell me what potential phrase that sounds like “No Bark!” would cause my new second-hand Peke to race over to me and jump on my lap Every Single Time I say that to him.

Bear in mind that this dog essentially lived in a crate for the first two years of his life and came to me unneutered and ignorant of even the most basic training.

I did try out “Park it!”, but he ignored that. :rofl:

Maybe he thinks that is his name?

3 Likes

Yes, what WAS his old name?

1 Like

This might not be helpful as I know next to nothing about small dogs, but how about quickly putting him on the floor, and saying sternly, ‘NO’.

His old name was (and still is) Hudson. I’m not crazy about it, but try never to change a name once an animal identifies with it.

3 Likes

Here’s a picture of the little weirdo for tax. :grin:

19 Likes

No bark = go (to the) park? :rofl: dog park, maybe?

Is he getting happy excited when you say it?

13 Likes

Oh, that’s a good suggestion! I live out in a rural area, so parks weren’t on my radar at all.

He’s definitely excited and expecting something good when he hears the phrase.

3 Likes

It probably was “no bark.” Then when the dog stopped barking it was given a food reward. So, if you say “no bark” it races to you for the reward.

11 Likes

That’s also a great suggestion! Will have to think through the implications of continually passing out treats to 4 dogs, though!

1 Like

I agree with eclectic horseman. Probably got a treat when he stopped barking.

Now I feel like a big meanie for six months of failure-to-provide-expected-treats.

At least I’ve learned he’s definitely an eternal optimist. :rofl:

15 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I used “Hush!” instead of “No Bark!” and that works pretty well.

That’s a pretty cute dustmop dog you’ve got there.

2 Likes

:laughing:
I’m no dog trainer & have no answer for you :woman_shrugging:
But Hudson reminds me of the Peggy Lee Peke from Lady & the Tramp

4 Likes

God love him, he never gave up on you!

2 Likes