Unlimited access >

A Resolution Dawns To End The USAEq/USET War

See the report from John Strassburger on location in Charlotte, NC for the latest on the USAEq/USET war.

See www.chronofhorse.com for a full report!

Thanks, Weatherford, for the clarification. I too cringe to think of the breakout of the NHJC. It is MHO as well that the petty behavior you have witnessed in the meetings you spoke of is a symptom of the overall attitude of the group and has exsisted as long as the NHJC has. It would seem gaining independence would do nothing to improve the state of the sport.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Melinda:
See the report from John Strassburger on location in Charlotte, NC for the latest on the USAEq/USET war.

See http://www.chronofhorse.com for a full report!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

“(The NGB staff would be a consolidation of the current USAEq and USET staffs with minor responsibility shifts. It would maintain the USAEq offices in Lexington, Ky.� Columbus, Ohio; and Ithaca, N.Y.; as well as the USET office in Gladstone, N.J.)”

Anyone know what’s happening with the six-figure salary +, ++, and ++++ crowd in Gladstone?!

The Marketing Committee also has created a “Sunshine Committee”

egads! who came up with the name?

For Immediate Release January 17, 2002
Marty Bauman, (508) 698-6810, uset.pr@verizon.net
Joanna Smith, (908) 234-1251, jsmith@uset.org

USA Equestrian and U.S. Equestrian Team Move Toward Consolidation

Gladstone, NJ and Lexington, KY-January 17, 2002-USA Equestrian and the United States Equestrian Team (USET) took a major step toward resolving the sport?s governance issue when, in separate meetings on January 10, both organizations approved the general structure of consolidation into a new non-profit organization that would serve as the new National Governing Body (NGB) for equestrian sport.

The USET Board of Trustees and the Federation Board of Directors approved the framework of the new NGB, which would comprise three operating divisions - International, National and Administrative. The plan also calls for the establishment of a Foundation whose exclusive purpose would be to raise funds to support the international high performance activities of the NGB.

The Boards of the two organizations authorized their officers and the two negotiating teams to proceed with the process of working out details and drafting by-laws for the new NGB. It is hoped that a final plan will be presented to the Boards and voting memberships for final approval sometime in the spring.

?I am extremely pleased with the votes to move forward,? said the Federation President Alan F. Balch. ?The negotiating teams from both organizations worked extremely hard to put aside selfish interests and develop a plan that is in the sport?s best interest and they are to be commended for their success in doing that.?

?This is a great step forward for our sport,? said USET President Dr. Armand Leone, Jr. ?While there is still much work to do, we have now reached a position where animosity has been removed from the equation, allowing us to focus our attention on our main job, namely working on behalf of all those involved in equestrian sports and preparing our athletes for international competition.?

ENDS

Thank you Weatherford. Will in fact the NHJC continue on? One would wonder if there is even a need for it. The idea behind it, was a good one. But it has taken on the appearance of a small org. not the governing body it once was stated to be.

Unknown, as yet, Bostonian. The finances are being discussed adn will take some working out. Each side has to show due diligence.

Ithaca is the location of the USA Equestrian testing labs.

The merger is a long term proposition - there is a lot to work out. However, it is really nice to see the cooperation and general pleasantness among the parties involved. Alan Balch and Armand Leone were fantastic in the Open USA Eq. Directors meeting - referring to each other for clarification on some issues, etc. The charged atmosphere of animosity that had been there appears to be gone. That doesn’t mean there won’t be blips on the horizon , but the news is good, and there is a genuine sense of relief here in Charlotte.

It’s a “Sunshine Task Force” and it came out of the Marketing Meeting. I honestly don’t remember who conceived the title. I think we were just so pleased to have the ooportunity to work on something that would make our association member friendly that we just jumped in. Susan Lucas is also on the committee.

John S. has a good explanation, including charts of the proposed structure of the new organizaiton, in this week’s "In the Country. Here’s the direct link:

In the Country re NGB Resolution

It sounds like a very good start. But I have no idea how the H/J will resolve their issues.

Well I suppose it’s nice the legal fees will “perhaps” diminish but this new structure makes me nervous that we will have this big bloated organization if the merger attempts to “keep everyone” and “every location”. There is much duplication with the merger - I just hope these Boards will act in the best interest of the members. The huge USET debt is something that can’t be sidestepped. I know they’ve always counted on their Santa Claus’s as Mr. Leone called them but Christmas is over!

The Legal Review Committee endorsed the Rulebook Reoganization Project, we have officially formed the nucleous of the Ad Hoc Rulebook Reorganization Committee, with representatives from Legal Review, Legislative (rules), Licensed Officials (since Stewards and Judges have to enforce the rules), and some of the breed orgs who just want to help out – and the very able help of the USA Eq staff.

Alan Balch announced it yesterday at the Board Meeting and made it official. Now we just have to finish the work on it!

it occurs to me that this is an extremely good deal for the USET.

There is a very good chance that it will be able to control the board through the athlete representatives and the international division trustees.

Or does the term athletes also apply to people who show saddlebreds, walking horses, and Quarter Horses?

The athlete elections are going to be VERY interesting, even if they don’t start until 2005.

Given the exclusivity and history of the USET, I’m surprised that they got as good a deal as they did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:
, the ultimate goal would be to have the NHJC an independent organization as is the USDF and the USEA (et al). …I am offended by this behavior, and see it as the real reason why the possible (and necessary) break out of the NHJC is not viable. (IMHO)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Membership in USDF is NOT required to show in a recognized dressage show - it is required in order to qualify for the USDF awards programs and for the championships (along with other USDF programs)

SO - if the NHJC were truly an independent organization then they would have to provide services, programs, awards or SOMETHING - some value added - in order for anyone to be inspired to join

an independent organization would not have the USA Eq requiring anyone to do anything with them

I think an independent org. is the best bet at turning it around - if they have to stand on their own…

Seems to me in the corporate world, there is always the promise that everyone will keep their job and then after a year or so, the downsizing starts. However, maybe some of the Gladstone people will be moved to the new USET Foundation and out of the international area.

re “Sunshine Task Force”

I respectfully submit that members might consider a name-change

I think it would be a mistake to believe that all, or even the majority, of the athletes (in the Sports Act and USOC Constitution definition of them) supported the USET in this dispute, or that they would contribute to control of the new board in favor of the old USET faction.

Many of the athletes strongly supported the AHSA/USA Eq. position. Many – perhaps most – of the athletes just wanted the dispute to be over so they could get out of the middle of it and the sport could concentrate on development of horses and riders. And my personal belief is that the vast majority will be happy to see the sport develop from a stable foundation with fair and open processes of funding and selection.

See www.chronofhorse.com for a full report!

Why does USA Equestrian have offices in Columbus, Ohio and Ithaca, NY?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmoffitt:
Seems to me in the corporate world, there is always the promise that everyone will keep their job and then after a year or so, the downsizing starts. However, maybe some of the Gladstone people will be moved to the new USET Foundation and out of the international area.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would make sense. But also remember that while the Federation does have an International department, it was not nearly as large and diverse as what would be needed to oversee all the international disciplines, mainly because the USET did that work. I am sure there is some duplication between what will be come the national and international departments. But again I would imagine that many of the people will be able to be shifted to new areas. Plus the Federation has a history of turnover in employees at the lower levels. In a way that might help, as they would not need to rehire for all those positions.

In the end, I would hope the best of both stay and not get pushed out simply because of a merger. I know that happens, but I will keep my fingers crossed that I don’t loose my contacts from either organization that I have come to rely on.