Unlimited access >

A Summer Place

I am retired and travel with my morgan to Black Prong in Florida adjacent to Goethe State Forest most winters. This year I am staying a month and that amount of time seems about right for me. I enjoy the camaraderie of fellow drivers - especially since most of us have been coming here for many years. It is a beautiful, well-maintained place with barns, paddocks, tiny houses, cabins, camping, bar and grill etc. All horse things are readily available. I am not very competitive and enjoy nature drives in the woods. Even so, I am working with a great trainer and am improving skills.

I am wondering if there is any kind of similar community for drivers and equestrians in the summer?

I don’t want to buy any real estate. My budget is pretty generous. The closer it is to Arkansas (where I live) the better).

2 Likes

Mackinac Island is THE summer destination for drivers, but it’s not exactly close to Arkansas!

2 Likes

How can you bring a horse to Mackinac?
Does the ferry take trailers?
Might be a fun getaway if they do :wink:

1 Like

Since there’s no cars allowed on the island, I’m assuming not, but to be honest I have no idea how people get their carriages and horses there for the summer, never really thought about it…

1 Like

You put horse and carriage on the ferry boats! Horse needs to be less than 17h tall to get thru the door to the lower deck. My horse fit by a whisker!! Usually that same Ferry can take the carrage, but vehicles may need to get across on the flat Ferry, which is open, can haul trucks, big items, lands at a different docking area.

Floors of the deck are diamond plate, so we made rubber hoof covers from old car innertubes and duct taped them on hooves. You will need 8 covers, 4 to go over, 4 to return, since the rubber seems to get worn thru each way. When we went, horses unloaded on the somewhat narrow “people” docks which are usually VERY busy and crowded with boxes and tourists. Horse has to stay calm in this as they offload on the ramp with ferry moving up and down on the waves. You probably want to arrange commercial transport of your “stuff” to the stabling and your hotel. Otherwise it is too much to handle in that busy area. You might be able to sit on the tailgate and lead horse to stabling because I hear it is not close to the docks. Then go back to get the carriage with commercial hauler. We pulled ours behind their wagon to the stabling.

Most folks going to “The Island” have riding horses, so lots less gear to manage. We have been twice, but it was quite a while ago. Things are bound to be different now.

Forgot to mention that horse ferry leaves from St Ignace, on the NORTH side of the Mackinac Bridge. Bridge crossing can take “awhile” depending on weather, rain, wind, fog, plus the Bridge is 5 miles long! It can be exciting if you are required to have to drive beside a Semi truck because of weather. Bridge is paved on the outside lane, grid surface YOU CAN SEE THRU TO THE LAKE on the inside lane!! Exciting for me to drive across!! You call to get reservations on the daily ferry way ahead of arrival. No walk-on allowed that I know of. You can unload horse and gear in the temporary parking lot, then horse rigs need to move to long-term parking a distance away from the docks. We got gear and horse aboard. They leave EARLY, so don’t miss your boat! We stood holding horses , all stood side-by-side looking out the windows. Kind of like sardines in a can, during travel to the island. Ha ha Rubber covered hooves had no trouble staying in place on the metal deck.

They do offer public stabling now, but you need to reserve stalls ahead of arrival. Not sure if they provide feed and hay or let you bring your own. This is a different stabling area than the working horses or rental horses occupy. Your horse needs to be pretty unflappable to handle the thick crowds of walkers and bicycles, other commercial horse-drawn vehicles in town and on the roads. There are trails thru the center of the island, a paved road of about 5 miles along the island shoreline. Avoiding town is probably best, it gets very tight in there. One road in town is forbidden, extremely steep, but was well-marked with signage. I believe that private vehicles are also forbidden from driving in front of the Grand Hotel. Shoes with traction are strongly recommended, along with brakes on the carriage because of steep roads. Island horses wear rubber-covered steel which seem to give good grip, but hoof might need to be shaped to fit shoe. Shoe is not very shapable, breaks the rubber cover.

Most folks travel by foot or bicycle but there are taxis and people mover surrey though I have no idea of the rates now. You can rent bicycles too. Lots of historical things to see. There is a new building with a carriage collection and I think, the horses for the Grand Hotel carriages. The article about it was a while ago, but things looked very nice. You might check out the Sunday Brunch at the Grand. It was amazing when we visited, I felt lIke i was in a movie setting! Wonderful variety of food, great service. You do need to dress nicely for the Grand, jeans were not acceptable for dining rooms back then.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like waaaaaay too much prep time required for me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sorry OP, I’m unaware of any areas that you mention (Black Prong is so amazing looking and my hubby and I have always wanted to go! Maybe one day). But we did go a few times to Southern Pines NC about 10 years ago (long drive for you though!!). It takes us about 16hr and a border crossing to get there. Its very horsey and carriage happy area. We were able to leave our friends (Economy Farm) and drive any which way (including The Foundation which is 3,000 acres of trails - it is very sandy though, so we tried to chose the less sandy ones for driving). Most of the farms around also had double row of fencing so you could drive in between the paddocks. We just loved it there!

We have also planned our vacation this year (beginning of June) and will be spending the day on Mackinac. No horses though as we are leaving them at home!

The ferry ride is $23 return, and it costs about $20 to bring your bike across. We only have EBikes now, which are forbidden on the island, but we will remove the battery so they will only be pedal bikes, which we have 0 issues with. Renting a bike for 8hr is now $40, so we are trying to save a bit of $ (especially since we are Canadian and have to spend 35% more!!) and we will already have our EBikes with us on vacation anyway.

We were thinking of renting a carriage/horse or riding there, but the cost was between $60-$100/hour so I don’t think we will be doing that. But we are looking forward to exploring and enjoying this amazing Island!!

1 Like

I worked for Alan years and years ago at Black Prong and my dad helped finish the cabins when they were getting built.

I do not believe there is a similar community “like” Black Prong, which is why its so special, but I have heard that Windsor NC has a lot of retired drivers and they get together every so often and do drives together but nothing like what Black Prong does. Then of course there is the community in Southern Pines but again, its more of a bunch of drivers that live there and don’t really organize too much apart of the Coaching/4 in Hand club, Carriage / Driving clubs.

Black Prong operates as a resort. … which is sort of like what it is.

It’s certainly nowhere close to Arkansas, but what about heading up to Vermont for the summer? We have an active driving community with several events held at Green Mountain Horse Association (GMHA) all season: https://gmhainc.org/events/category/equestrian-events-south-woodstock-vt/equestrian-competition-calendar-gmha-woodstock-vt/combined-driving-pleasure-driving-events/

There’s a lot of traffic heading from up here down to Black Prong for the winter, and then turning around and coming back for the summer. Last year we launched a new partnership with Black Prong, where the CDE winner there won entry fee & stabling here and vice versa. Unfortunately our Vermont flooding last July disrupted those plans, but there was a lot of enthusiasm.

It’s a bit different under the new ownership and they definitely alienated some drivers when they cancelled all the events. I get the reasoning behind it, but the late notice and how it was handled left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouth. It also made me question the long term commitment to drivers. However grand oaks stepped up in a big way this season, so here’s hoping that they do well.

3 Likes

… “It was amazing when we visited, I felt lIke i was in a movie setting!”…

You really WERE in a movie setting. Almost all of the movie Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeves was filmed on the island, Largely at the Grand Hotel.

And yes, as you said, the horses do ride the ferry to and from the island. After Labor Day the vast majority of horses spend their winter on the mainland, largely around Pickford in the UP. In the spring as tourist season ramps up, they take a ferry ride back to the island.

2 Likes