Unlimited access >

A-symmetrical horse and rider need help!

Several months ago I started leasing an 8-year-old Friesian X Percheron mare. :winkgrin:She’s a very solid Training level horse and we’re hopeful that we’ll be able to compete at First by the end of the summer (super exciting for me as I’ve never competed in dressage before!!). As a draft type horse, she’s very challenging to condition - takes forever to increase her fitness level, even with 2 rides from me, 2 rides with her trainer, and a lesson or two with her owner every week.

She is less developed on her right side than she is on her left. She can be bracy and hard to turn to the right, and I can tell even at a walk she isn’t used to using her right hind leg as actively as her left (the lipstick confirms - very rarely is there as much foam on the right side of her mouth). This has caused some soreness and lameness issues (which have been thoroughly checked out and chalked up to fitness and balance trouble).

And here’s the kicker: I have the same problem.:eek: And a recent car accident made it worse. My right side is less developed than my left, and so my right side tends to be tighter and more braced than my left. I even tend to sit to the right of my saddle and drop my right shoulder. :no: I’m going to chiroprachtor/ massage regularly and starting a more intensive fitness regimen to help correct this, but it drives me crazy that I might be making her troubles worse! What specific things can I do to help make myself more symmetrical? Any exercises I need to do.

I do lots of shoulder fore, leg yields, circles, etc. on both sides, especially the right, but I want to know what else I can do to help her develop more symmetrically.

Any insight or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Have you looked into TTouch type stuff? I know it sounds silly, but their body work and the body wraps can really help a horse think about using themselves better, and it may even be able to be used to help you.

For you, using athletic tape might help remind you to use certain muscles…or not use certain muscles. It can also help you carry yourself more symmetrically. If you see a physiotherapist, they can help you with this. For example an “X” of tape on your core can help remind a person to use their core. If you lean to one side, tape on the opposite side can help remind you to be straighter (as it will pull when you go to lean)

Has the horse seen a chiropractor? If not I would start there.

Depending on where the problem is that is causing the one sidedness would depend a bit on how to strengthen the area.

My horse has a one-sided issue that originates in his hip. I have found the work that engages the hind end combined with regular chiropractic work has helped. Spirals and lots of transitions helped me the most.

And obviously you need to continue to work on your own position and body issues. I feel for you, I go through something similar and its a constant battle.

I will look into using tape! I’d love to try some ttouch with her bit I’ve never really understood how to do it, although I’ve read lots about it. She has seen a chiro, but I’m not sure exactly where the weakness originates

Get the book " Horse and Rider, Back to Back", by Susanne Von Dietze. There are very good excersizes for riders, along with very good photos and explanation. I use them for my students and see a tremendous improvement in symmetry and fluidity.

Have you tried long lining? You can exercise the horse in-hand so your own crookedness in the saddle won’t make the condition worse for the horse. If there’s no one experienced enough at you barn perhaps you can try asking around if anyone who knows carriage driving could help as they usually start their horses long lining. You can pretty much do anything in-hand: shoulder in, leg yields, etc. I’m not saying it’s easy though so if you’ve never done it, and if the horse has never done it, finding someone who can teach is pretty important. Anyway it’s a nice change for the horse too.

[QUOTE=Shorehorse;8086264]
Has the horse seen a chiropractor? If not I would start there.

Depending on where the problem is that is causing the one sidedness would depend a bit on how to strengthen the area.

My horse has a one-sided issue that originates in his hip. I have found the work that engages the hind end combined with regular chiropractic work has helped. Spirals and lots of transitions helped me the most.

And obviously you need to continue to work on your own position and body issues. I feel for you, I go through something similar and its a constant battle.[/QUOTE] agree with the Chiro and a good one is hard to find.

Body therapy for you both will help. Ortho-Bionomy is a gentle therapy that would address the imbalance you each have and enhance the chiro/massage work you are doing for yourself.

When riding, slow everything down to focus on your alignment. You won’t be able to move forward in training until you are both straighter so going slowly now will be faster in the long run. Feel where you are in relation to your horse. Feel that your seat is squarely in the saddle with one hip and shoulder on each side and that your sternum is aligned with the withers. Pause often to reassess and adjust. Lateral movements will be the next step, and staying centered while moving sideways will tend to throw both of you back to your habitual positions…so do the movement briefly and then recheck.

Being aware of your one-sideness is the first step.

body therapies will help to an extent.

But what will help more will be to learn to work with the deficiencies rather than fix them.

No one is symmetrical. And no horse is symmetrical.

For instance, my pelvis is rotated forward and up on the left side. When I ride my left leg is always more forward. I know this, therefore I make a conscious effort to keep it back…so that it feels abnormally far back–and that puts it in the correct position.

You will never ride a horse who goes exactly the same to the right and to the left. Therefore you will ride a little different as needed when going to the right and to the left. Therefore it makes no difference whether or not your body is symmetrical.

You say you tend to sit to the right of your saddle and drop your right shoulder.
Well…don’t. Or at least try not too. And if that doesn’t work then try harder.