Unlimited access >

A vent: I need a "these aren't my horses" sign - anyone?

Have you asked any of the people why they thought those were your horses? I am curious as to what they would reply.

The number of people who park directly beneath my “NO PARKING: Please do not park next to the ramp” sign at work attest to this. They then come inside and mention the sign but don’t move the car. :angry:

2 Likes

Nope. If I had to guess, I have a “traditional” looking horse barn and set up, but during the day my horses aren’t visible from the road because they are on the other side of the arena and a natural crown in the land.

I wouldn’t tell them not to contact you, in case the horses were yours (laypeople are terrible at identifying equines). But I would do the note and say it hasn’t been yours, but feel free to call in the future so you can check.

FWIW, yesterday two neighborhood people texted me about a loose horse they thought was mine near my place. It wasn’t, but we caught it, stashed it in my barn and called the other local horse person pics of it to see if I should call animal control or if it was hers. It was. Of course, she is nice and not an animal abuser, but I still would want to actually lay eyes on the loose horse to make sure it wasn’t mine! Even though I have excellent fencing. And I would want to get it out of the road to preserve its and human life. The ONLY reason I would still ask the neighbors to reach out is in case mine somehow got free, but that would be in my mind.

As for the dog sign, I bet the dogs were chasing horses or otherwise scary. SSS will happen when people don’t listen to animal control/complaints. My beagle can follow her nose, and I have a GPS collar she listens to 99% of the time, but I know and accept the risk. Would be awful but she would hate life on a leash so there it is. I wish my neighbors WOULD ignore her. Last time she did it, I got a call and asked where she was. ASLEEP ON HER BED. If you bring the dog in your house and ply it with treats, then snuggle it, it might come back. :joy::joy::joy:. I adjusted her collar settings higher and kept her close a few days to break the cycle, and she has been good since.

I should also so that was the first time this lady met her, but she is instant friends with all humanity.

Last week it appears someone entered our lower field (not visible from my house) likely to pet the horses. The way we chain the gate is a dead giveaway if it’s been opened. Anyway we set up a game camera ans saw our neighbors out doing their lawn. I asked her if she’d seen anyone
no, she says, but the horses were out earlier this week
"

Me: what??? The horses were Out??

Her: Yeah, i didn’t see them in the field.

Me: wait
you didn’t see them in the field and you assumed they were out?

Her: yes. They weren’t in the field

Me: ahhhh, ok. See that back corner? It’s in deep shade and draws a good breeze. That’s where they were.

Her: oh ok I just assumed they were out

Me driving away, thinking "you thought 3 horses and a donkey were loose on a public road and the owner lives 1000 feet away from your front door but MEH, WHATEVER. "

SMH.

8 Likes

This is why I want about 40 acres, with buffers around me, and only use about 5-10 at the very center.

9 Likes

That sounds great, doesn’t it? I want that just to live in, let alone have animals on.

1 Like

We have 32.;but most is woods and water. Who knew that I was asking too much. If their twins were in the road I’d trot up their drivewayz it’s just the Decent thing to do.

1 Like

My old neighbors once watched two of my horses get through the fence and took off down the road and didn’t bother to tell us or call us. Come home from work and two horses are missing and neighbor said “yeah, I saw them run off down the road.” He actually thought it was funny and was laughing while he said it. Luckily a horse savvy person found them before they got hit by a car and put them in her front paddock knowing whoever they belonged to would be along sooner or later.

3 Likes

Wow. Malicious or clueless or ?? Glad no one was hurt!

I can’t wait for you to buy that place next door and raze it. It will be fulfilling a hoarders-esque fantasy for me, after watching all this drama.

3 Likes

Ugh for real. Just hauling off half the junk and tearing down that poor barn and the “carports,” kicking those horses out and putting it back in hay will alleviate so much of my distaste. Let the FD do training burns on the houses to finish the rest of it and be done.

5 Likes

Just clueless and didn’t care. I didn’t notice at first but when my third horse wouldn’t stop looking over the fence toward where the others went I realized they were gone and found the hole in the fence. Jerk neighbor.

Man, this sounds like a daily nuisance for you and a shame for neglected animals. Have you tried calling the community police line (not 911) and asking if they have any advice about how to handle the situation? Consistently loose horses are a fairly significant public safety risk along roads.

Another thing I’d consider, if you have the ability, is find a rescue who may be willing to take the horses and then offer to take them off the owners hands. Maybe the owner would be happy to be rid of them and then your problem is solved. I’ve done this in the past with a local neglected dog.

1 Like

There is some irony here :laughing: Yes, lets just say I’m intimately familiar with how it works, and while they are indeed a public safety risk, the only recourse is to cite the owner for Animals at Large, which the judicial system is not terribly concerned about. I’d have better luck finding out if the property owner has insurance (doubt it) and finding out the company and dropping an anonymous letter.

In short, no recourse. In fact, I asked the deputy responding if he was going to forward this to ACO because it was like the 3rd time, and he said no. I texted ACO today tho, on the off chance she might do something, but I also think that will be a no. I told her about the fence falling over/getting pushed over and me getting the note about the horses in the fence over the phone during a different conversation, and she said they will get out soon and he (owner) doesn’t care.

I’d rather offer to take them and PTS, but he won’t accept that. He was out two days ago, fence looks the same but looks like he fixed the leaking spigot and moved the water trough to a different spot for whatever reason. I need to stroll over and look. I see our warmer weather has brought out whatever skin issue the older horse has and the whole top of his tail is already bald.

1 Like

I have a friend that lives next to a cow pasture with loose cows being a frequent thing these days. Originally the road both properties are on was a small country road but now it is bumper to bumper with cars and trucks going 55mph. Apparently the owner just leases this property and runs his cows on it. The “fencing” is a laugh. Large stretches of the fence are that orange plastic snow fence loosely draped over some t posts and step in posts. For cows! I don’t get it - those Angus cows are pretty valuable to get hit by a car. Not to mention liability.

He doesn’t care and will not get off his arse to go get the loose cows. I cannot believe he gets away with this.

My neighbors are about as bad but my road is not very busy. I have really sturdy fencing - not just to keep my horses in but also to keep their horses and cows out. We have not had any loose ones for a few years but I did get a knock on the door one time by another neighbor. I panicked, ran down to the barn. Not mine guys!

1 Like

I found a fellow boarder’s horse loose one morning when I went out to do chores. When I mentioned it to her she said she had watched her horse half crawl through the electric fence to reach the grass outside the paddock a few days earlier. I asked what the BO had said when she told them and she admitted she hadn’t said anything!

Of course that was the one difficult to catch horse on the property. I was tempted to say I’d just leave her horse to wander next time since she didn’t seem to care about her horse staying in the paddock. :roll_eyes:

You guys this is what this horse looks like today. I definitely do not want people thinking this is my horse :skull_and_crossbones:

Poor horsey

3 Likes

The OP has communicated with animal control.

1 Like