Unlimited access >

A vent: I need a "these aren't my horses" sign - anyone?

Seeing this makes everything way more clear. I can see why everyone is coming to your house thinking the horses are yours. There’s no clear “House” per say on that land. If you put up a sign in the front where the fences splits, then maaaybe that would help.

OK hang on: the white circles are also houses, clearly houses. And my road is a deadend. People have gone past two obvious houses to mine.

And yes, I’ve reported to ACO about 10 times now.

1 Like

From the overhead, those houses look to have considerable screening from the road. How visible are they?

Which house is actually responsible for the horses?

None. The horses are owned by a third, off-site party.

1 Like

Presumably the guy with the red truck knows his neighbors–they’re awfully close–and doesn’t know you that well if he doesn’t know you don’t run horses in his backyard. Not at ALL surprising he bangs on your door when there’s a problem with them.

Passers-by can’t really SEE the two houses on the corner through the tree cover, the barn is closer to your property, your house is visible, you have pasture…yeah, no wonder they’re coming to you.

Hence the desire for sign hahaha… Just odd because all three have the same landlord. You’d think there would be SOME communication over there but neighbors down the road I sorta get…which is why I want a way to signal that I don’t own these woebegotten horses.

Have those neighbors had people also knocking on their door about the horses too? My guess is that since people can see your property clearly having horses that they assume they’re yours.

Go for the sign idea and see what happens.

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that even if you make it clear they are not your horses, people will likely still come to you if they are loose because they can see that you know about horses. In my neighborhood I get calls from neighbours for any wildlife or pet related situation because I must know a lot about animals if I have horses. What a frustrating situation for you. I don’t have a solution, but you have my sympathy.

3 Likes

Totally agree. It’s probably a good thing that people see horses out as an emergency that needs immediate help, and reasonable that they go to the nearest obviously “horse” property.

Putting up a sign might stop some of that, but also has the potential to really discourage neighbors from helping the OP when any of her own animals get out. The “she clearly refuses to help those horses over there, she probably doesn’t want any help with her animals, either” kind of sentiment…

@TheJenners have you tried contacting the landlord about these issues? Maybe being a squeaky wheel there will move these tenants along.

1 Like

Oh I definitely know that won’t help. I know the landlord, er, “professionally” from his slum rentals inside city limits. Thanks for letting me vent. At this point, I really just don’t want people thinking the horses and falling down barn are mine.

1 Like

It’s got to be hard to be associated with that, when you clearly have a nice, well maintained place. Ugh. I can see why people would miss the other houses if they’re obscured by trees and stop at the first recognizable house they do see. Still annoying for you I’m sure, but at least people aren’t seeing a loose horse and just going on about their merry way. Do you have a phone number for the tenants or landlord? I’d throw a sign with their number to call “In case of loose horse, please call XXX.”

I don’t mind helping, I do mind people thinking it’s my place, my horses, neglected and ghetto looking… That’s my big gripe. And thank you @Jenerationx for the compliment :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe folks are coming up to your place cause it looks so nice. I mean I don’t wanna traipse up to a rundown sketchy looking compound either. Maybe they see your place and are relieved to find a civilized abode to approach!

7 Likes

What about creating a third party corporation of some kind and buy the pasture, with the proviso the horses come with it? hehehe. Just a thought.

What are the laws in your state concerning loose horses? If applicable, you could point out the civil liability. In my state the horse owner would be liable for any damage done by the horses - including car damage and human injuries if the horse is hit by a car. Your numerous reports of the horses being out can help show that they were not taking proper precautions ( tho that is not even necessary in my state, you have strict liability for an animal loose on the public road)

Sometimes the money angle is what people listen to.

From my first post :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

in my experience Animal Control is worthless, an absolute waste of taxpayer’s money … our city would be better off having the Girl Scout set up a cardboard box with a sign free Kitties or Come Get A Pooch

Personal grip as we have spend well over a million dollars building s very nice animal shelter, paying about a quarter of million dollars a year in personal and other costs… for 18 dogs and cats