Aachen 2024

I think we’re saying the same things - but a lot of people miss that point.

You have to put the younger riders in this position for them to gain the experience they need to consistently execute in the future. That comes with some expectation that there will be mistakes, and that’s OK (within reason), as long as they learn from those mistakes.

It is amazing when these young riders go out and do everything right when they really don’t have the experience, but we shouldn’t EXPECT that. The drop score in these nations’ cup classes is so important for developing future team riders for exactly that reason. You can ramp up the pressure on your veterans and ramp down the pressure on your young rider if you plan for the young rider to be be the drop score from the beginning. Veteran riders, your expectations are X, young rider, your expectations are Y.

If you look at how this team was originally structured (Liz & Mik’s Master C, Jennie & FE Lifestyle, James & Karma, Alyssa & Oskar), I think you can read between the lines to see that strategy was plan A. Because of the withdraws of Mik’s Master C & FE Lifestyle, we ended up with two young riders and a veteran on a very young horse. I think all of them coped very well with pressure that was much higher than they would have originally expected to experience, even with Hallie’s mistakes at the end of her course.

10 Likes

Can we give James all the props he deserves? Highest placed American in 9th. He rode a foot perfect show jumping on a very fit and exuberant horse, then came home clean and just outside the time, moving him up 20+ places between the two rounds. The man is a XC machine and has been for over a decade at this point, and on all sorts of different horses. I’m so excited and happy for him that he has this horse and a nice string coming along behind at home.

13 Likes

James I was surprised to see that they sold Flinterro Z. That horse can really jump.

Unfortunately selling is how the bills get paid.

Looks like Boyd’s had some problems with him, an E and RF and has dropped him back to Training.

1 Like

Agreed - super nice guy too. Well done James - we on the west coast are very proud of you!

ETA Hallie is a lovely person too in the interactions I’ve had with her. - she did really well and I’m sure will do even better next time out.

5 Likes

James is such a tactful rider and indeed a XC machine!! I had the pleasure of being a working student of his when he first came to the West Coast and it’s awesome to see how well he continues to do.

1 Like

Mistakes appear when riders are pushing themselves to be better. I don’t mind a mistake if that’s why, when it’s a stupid mistake like Boyd’s 20 at Badminton I get more annoyed lol

1 Like

Absolutely there will be mistakes made, but I don’t think its fair to go into it with a mindset of the younger rider will automatically be the drop score. Nor do any of the coaches coach that. You go out to be competitive for your team, not to “get experience because you will be the drop score”

In looking at the team they were originally sending, none of those riders are super experienced team riders. Jennie has been on a few Nations Cup teams, Liz even less, and James the same (although im so glad he continues to show how much they missed out not putting him on more!)

We get better as a country when we put riders in these situations to ride for the team, not go out expecting to be held together by their stronger comrades.

1 Like

Bingo. Totally agree with your other words @alyssaequestrian, but wanted to highlight this.

I have full respect for Hallie and I adore her mare; I have loved following their journey which is why it is a shame that they fell into difficulty. I never once said anything against her personally. Rather my statement was about the fact that a bummer of a performance from the anchor rider… which could have been any of them, but it happened to be Hallie who ended up having issues which effected the team result.

I also want our riders to do well and as stated earlier, they need more exposure in these pressurized situations. If you want to make mistakes and learn, better do it as an individual.

Agreed! Realizing (even as spectator) that mistakes come from lack of experience is really important. It doesn’t say anything more or less about the rider, but obviously she will have learned for it and come back a strong team member next time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t disagree with a lot of where I think you’re coming from, but it did not impact the team result. The US would have been silver if she went clear and in the time or if she fell off.

What I’m trying to say is, these younger riders just mentally need we, the fans, to be OK with them failing on giant stages when they’ve never done it before… especially when they were really never expected to be on the team in the first place.

Aachen is equestrian sports’ single biggest stage outside of (and sometimes including) World Championships & Olympics. It’s just different. There is so much more pressure when you’re surrounded by the most important industry people, show jumpers, event riders, dressage riders, trainers, minds, crowds, etc. in the world.

I’m not on this train to defend Hallie specifically (but the mare is :exploding_head:)- I’ve just noticed a trend among the fanbase, in my opinion, of expecting too much out of inexperience.

My comments on team strategy (particularly and especially at Aachen) are meant to say:

• Drop Score: strategically, the team manager can really put pressure on veteran pairs to test their ability to deliver in an Olympic format (no drop score), while simultaneously allowing one developing rider to gain exposure to the most intense competitive environment they’ll likely ever be in. I do think the good team managers think that way.
8 Likes