Aachen 2024

So far, Miks Master C and FE Lifestyle have both been withdrawn from the US eventing team due to minor issues. So disappointing for both those teams.

3 Likes

Where did you see this?

On each of Jennie and Liz’s social medias.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/two-u-s-event-horses-withdrawn-from-chio-aachen/

1 Like

Liz is truly the most unlucky person!

Entries:

https://www.hippobase.com/EventInfo/Entries/CompetitorHorse.aspx?EventID=752&lang=de&EntryGroupIDs=CCIO

2 Likes

Show jumping is preceding X-country? They’re doing very well.

Results: https://resulting.chioaachen.de/show/34/event/235/competition/2/result/

2 Likes

MJ & Chipmunk have WD …I assume he’s a shoo in for Paris so no need to run tomorrow.

USA top form today! :heartpulse:

Hallie Coon really showed her inexperience there at the end of XC. What a shame.

What happened? Looks like she had a stop?

but if I am reading correctly, US is in silver medal position.

She had a great round until she was coming into the arena (to finish) and she started to chase the clock. She had tapped the mare into and through a few combinations throughout the course but overall it was going well. Once in the arena she put her foot on the gas so the mare had a dodgy distance into the table (first jump in the arena) and then buried the mare at the upright into the water, jumped the bank out of the water okay but again totally buried the mare at the skinny out of the water which is where they had a 20. You could see it just falling apart and Hallie didn’t pull it back together.

She probably would have only had a few penalties from time if she rode smart and careful but instead she had a 20 plus a bunch of time. A real bummer of a performance from the team anchor.

https://resulting.chioaachen.de/show/34/event/235/championship/team/standing/

Thanks for explaining. That’s a real shame. I’m sure she feels awful.

I’m sure that she does. The camera was on her after the finish; when she got off, she was walking slowly and pulling leaves off of a bush while her groom walked on with the horse to the cool down area.

I haven’t dug in to the team scores but I do feel that USA would have taken the gold if she had jumped clear and only had time.

I was also really impressed with Liz & Shanroe Cooley. I love that horse and find him really classy. He seemed to be a bit tense in dressage but Liz gave him a really nice soft ride; probably the softest I’ve ever seen her ride. He did so well at Kentucky 5* so I was curious to see how he handled this pretty tight and twisty 4*S, especially as a fairly young horse, and he was super.

1 Like

Shanroe Cooley was in the 4 at Kentucky not the 5

1 Like

Oh shoot, I got Shanroe Cooley and Cooley Nutcracker mixed up! Thanks for pointing that out.

It looks like Hallie’s was the drop score on XC. Click on"Toggle Member Result"

2 Likes

We need to give these younger riders a break- Hallie is only 29 and she’s riding a super talented, but notoriously tricky, 10-year old in both of their first big team competition. They were just called up to officially compete 2 or 3 weeks ago due to Miks Master C & FE Lifestyle withdrawing. She 100% made mistakes in the last 25 seconds of her course, but you can’t really hold that against her, IMO. It wouldn’t have made a difference to the team standings even if she’d gone clear and inside the time so good experience gained without costing anyone anything at all.

This was very much a developing team for the US and they 100% outperformed in the jumping phases. Two riders that are still in their 20’s and three horses that were either 9 or 10- only Liz had every competed at Aachen before. It all looked very polished - 4 clear show jumping rounds and (almost) 4 clear XC rounds to climb from 7th after dressage to 2nd at the end of the weekend at Aachen is no joke.

14 Likes

I think we need to do quite the opposite actually: put these younger riders in a high pressure situation. It’s great they got the opportunity to compete at Aachen. No one is blaming Hallie for anything, she’s clearly a good rider but this absolutely showed her inexperience and I’m sure she will be better the next time out when she’s going for speed.

2 Likes