Unlimited access >

AAs of the $40K and under market: what was your shopping experience like?

In light of recent threads like 40 is the new 20 and Equestrian Voices’ Buying and Selling Horses Under $40K, I’m curious what the AA’s experience in this market is like today. I’m preparing to buy my first horse in 20 years this spring. My previous horse was $8k out of the newspaper, and the market certainly changed. :sweat_smile:

Would love to hear your stories!

• What criteria were you looking for?
  • Where did you look for your horse?
  • What kinds of compromises were you willing to make?
  • Anything you found surprising during your search?

Signed, an AA re-rider who just wants an honest type to bop around Novice and get her bronze with (eventually). And hack! All the hacks!

(PS: I am working with my trainer to find my next horse. Sometimes it’s just lovely to hear peer-to-peer stories. :blush:)

1 Like

I am the OP of the 40 is the new 20 thread… back in February when I was in the market (I had just sold my wonderful TB that really wanted to be a BN/N horse while I wanted to go training) I was dead set on finding a horse that was at least going BN/N with scope for training. Well those were quickly out of my AA budget so I decided to go a different route entirely, which was a surprise to me. I ended up finding a 4yo GRP cross that has been an absolute blast to bring along. I say all that to keep your options open, you might be surprised in what you thought you wanted and what you end up with! Good luck!

8 Likes

Following this thread as DH will be in the market for a Novice packer/starting Training in a few months. His :heart: horse OTTB simply does not want to be an eventer.

I bought an unstarted youngster, but I’m fortunate to have already had experience starting horses and have help—and I may still come to regret it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I had to retire my 12 yo mare this year, so I was very hesitant to take on an older horse, and just don’t have the budget for a horse that is already going and in their prime.

2 Likes

It was extremely, extremely tough in last year’s market… market seems to be improving a bit and grade, average-moving, green horses schooling Tadpole are no longer going for 15-20k :sweat_smile:. I was shopping because my TB was diagnosed with severe kissing spines and I was debating sending him to surgery or not, and I had a large pony on lease (2’-2’6” type) for 6 months and her family took her back when they moved out of state.

I had really good contacts and several trainers keeping their eyes open for a fit, and I sat on a lot of horses during that time - I like a very specific type of ride, so I tried to expand my options, but I’m very timid and only comfortable on a compact, uphill horse… and I like a very small motor, soft feel, willing work-ethic. As time went on, unsuccessful (or worse, scary) trials killed my confidence and I started to feel even more timid and kind of hopeless. Most of the horses I sat on did not feel like they should even cost half of the asking price.

Despite the challenging market, I was able to bring 3 horses home on trial - 1) from a wonderful trainer that loves me (horse was adorable but a large, green TB and I was just too timid), 2) a little 15.1 chunky mare that I felt was a total match and absolutely fell in love with, that heartbreakingly did not vet (price point should have been a clue - advertised as a 3’6”ish jumper type for 18k - I knew we’d find something in the vetting, I just didn’t think it would be a dealbreaker for what I wanted her to do - Tadpole/BN horse :weary:), and 3) an oversized Welsh Hony type that was doing little stuff in the hunter ring, but made it clear he did NOT want to go XC when he kept spooking at moss on the ground, etc. All of these were priced around 20-25k, which was outside of my 15k budget but I was going to make it work if we found “the one.”

When I had the last one on trial, the pony I previously had on lease was offered back to me for $7500. I scooped her up right away, and sent my TB for surgery. TB surgery was very complex and had some complications (spending a jaw-dropping grand total of around 11k), but he’s on the mend now and I’m hoping he’s going to make a comeback. Pony and I are out doing the fun stuff again, life is so much better.

Hope you have a very happy and successful shopping adventure!

17 Likes

My answers to your questions are in the quote block. Best of luck with your search!

3 Likes

I have had a few clients looking under $40k in the past couple years. All of them were looking for what you described- safe horse to learn to go BN-N on, or riders who have gone BN/N and hope to go Training at some point.

From what I have seen you can find Novice horses under $40k that are safe/sound/maybe even competitive. For a Training horse, this budget would require some sacrifices on maintenance, difficulty in the ride, age, etc.

As far as finding these unicorns, having a trainer with connections is key! A lot of these horses don’t get advertised before they are sold through personal connections.

Also, be ready to move quickly. Once a horse is available you should do what you can to go see it within a day or two, and be ready to leave a deposit and schedule a vetting quickly. In today’s market, people are buying off video, so there isn’t a lot of time for multiple visits and hemming and hawing.

4 Likes

I bought a pandemic pony and then another horse about a month ago after I lost my pandemic pony in an accident.

Criteria:
Pandemic pony - I wanted a OTTB to train for the makeover and potentially sell for profit OR keep as my main ride (which are two very different horses). I ended up with a small grey mare which is my ride to a T. If I was going to flip I would look for a large bling gelding.

Recent purchase - needed to be a mare with a brain and 4 legs. I just needed a buddy for my horse who was left by herself.

Where did I look:
Both times I looked primarily on FB but also browsed Craigslist and some of the regular sites (dream horse, new horse, horse clicks).

Compromises:
Pandemic pony- I “compromised” with buying a year or two younger than I wanted (but I also wanted as clean a slate as possible and got a 3yr old with one race that had been in a field for a year so not a bad compromise). I also compromised slightly on her height as she was maybe 15 hands when she arrived and MAYBE 15.2 when she passed (at 5 yr old). Oh and she had a screw in her knee but vetted well by New Bolton and it was not ever once an issuer

Recent purchase - Age is really the biggest thing. I didn’t know what I wanted other than a buddy for my mare and had to decide if I wanted to get another greenie (no, my heart wasn’t ready) or get something more trained but less in line with what I normally look for as far as age height breed etc (I also entertained the idea of getting a mare to breed, who was not sound, and am happy I did not). I lucked into the mare I bought. She is 18, and a very difficult ride BUT has done prelim and 1.30m jumpers and has very little maintenance for a horse that has been doing 1.10-1.20 for the past two years.

Surprises:
The cost of a track trained, not let down OTTB. Personally, those prices are insane. I got my pandemic pony for $250 and paid $750 to ship her to me so fell right in line with what I have always paid for OTTBs.
I’m also shocked at how much some people are asking (paying?) for a W/T horse that needs very regular (like every 6 Mo?!) maintenance. A horse like that is not a five figure horse, IMO, yet that’s what I’ve seen them listed at.

I was also shocked at how little I paid for my “schoolmaster” horse. I paid mid four (yes four) figures right on the money for her. The seller needed to move her as she already had another horse she was getting and couldn’t afford board on 4. She sold her as the mare hops when you jump her (which I have a feeling will get better and/ or go away) and the sellers back couldn’t handle it. I knew the seller kinda from being in the same area and having mutual friends and know the horse has been doing the job I want it to do for the past two years, consistently, so am not worried about age related issues. Her breeder has also offered her a retirement home with her which is lovely. I am currently able to provide her a retirement with me but having the option is always nice. She’s not an ideal beginner horse or move up horse but for the money she’s an excellent deal and I have a feeling some of her issues will improve with some management and riding style changes.

1 Like

Not to sound like a total weirdo, but I think I know your new horse you’re talking about! Not personally but I follow her previous owner on social media. Thought the story sounded familiar, lol. She’s a cool horse, glad you guys found each other!

3 Likes

I immediately recognized this description, too! Cool horse, I hope she works out great for @kaya842

2 Likes

Lol too crazy! I felt like she was a “celebrity horse” when I bought her - this confirms it :joy:

4 Likes

Interesting thread. There is, of course, a huge difference between track trained OTTB and proven safe BN horse with potential to go Training. And possibly very different riders looking for each of the two.

I’m an AA with lots of experience up to FEI level, and have ridden and trained many greenies. However, after 3 purpose bred young prospects spectacularly not working out for me, including many injuries, I was lacking confidence, unfit, overweight, and protective of my body. I needed something that I felt safe on, even if it was green. And my budget was non-existant.

I tried some prospects in the $6-10k range (I could figure out the money somehow) and was extremely uninspired. Unsound, strange conformation, or very green for the prices. Everything else was $12k and up.

So I ended up with a 3 year old OTTB mare, 15.3ish, slow at the track. She was $3k plus the expenses of the reseller who shipped her off the track, rode her once to see if she was going to buck (my strict criteria, it can’t buck me off!), and kept her for a few days til I could pick her up.

She’s been a delight and we just finished our first event at 2’9 clear SJ and XC with a little time for trotting a few places.

I’ve had her 14 months, of which she was not ridden a few for the winter. My expenses (including board) approximate $10k to get her here, never mind my time/training. I’m having fun and feel safe so it doesn’t matter what she’s “worth” - scary for me to contemplate having to replace her.

29 Likes

She’s priceless!

3 Likes

I’d say it all depends. I will never have a high budget to spend on a horse. My first horse was $2500 including tack and he took me to second level dressage before I retired him. He had a lot of baggage but ended up being probably the best horse I’ll ever have. My new horse is a greenie, young mare that I purchased for $2K last year and loves to jump anything I’ve pointed her at thus far. There are horses out there, but you have to look. Both were purchased by word-of-mouth. I know someone (non-eventer) who regularly purchases horses at auctions. She paid $3,500 for a rare colored pony that is showing PSG dressage.

3 Likes

I saw a OTTB on a popular horse reseller’s website selling for $8500. Yes, the reseller had it off the track already and it had been let down. Yes, they had put a ride or two and planned on putting more on it. Yes, they have a great eye for sourcing OTTBs. But man, that’s salty.

Edited to change a word to something more neutral.

4 Likes

I mean, if they can get a price-- more power to the seller. Who am I to say it’s not worth it if people will pay it?!

4 Likes

If we’re thinking of the same seller, the horses she prices in the $8-10K range are really exceptional types. There’s another “flipper” selling a mare I’d love to buy but she’s priced at $20,000. For a 3 y/o fresh off the track.

I won’t be actively shopping for another couple of months. When I do I will be in a slightly lower budget than the OP describes, but still what I consider a healthy low fives range. Not so long ago that could have bought something young-ish going BN/N with potential for more but now? It’s like everything fitting that description is an import selling for $50,000+ and the nice OTTBs with a little bit of a show record are just not for sale, at least not within 1,000 miles of me.

2 Likes

I recrntly spoke with the OTTB reseller I got mine from. He said the trainers/owners are now asking much higher prices directly at the track. They already get good money for the faster geldings, which go to the chuckwagon racers (Calgary Stampede etc.) unless we outbid them - I’ve heard $6,500 is not unusual and the cukkers don’t care about their behavior under saddle.

For the others, It’s a bit of a game of chicken at this time of year. Will the horse have any more conditions worth running thru and shipping south, or should they cut their losses now if there’s a willing buyer at a certain price?

3 Likes

Absolutely. They have a great eye and lovely horses but if it’s at that stage of its training and that price, the slightly more trained and less likely to kill my aging ammy self version is well well out of my price range in today’s market.

1 Like

I just bought one about a month ago.

What criteria were you looking for?

• Mare
  • 15.3+
  • 3-10
  • Very good jumper
  • Registered or registrable
  • Good conformation
  • Under $15k

Where did you look for your horse?

• FB and other online sources/websites (Dreamhorse, etc.)
  • Auction sites
  • Word of mouth

What kinds of compromises were you willing to make?

• Height - I’m about 6’ so my preference was at least 15.3 but I would have considered smaller
  • Vetting - I was willing to accept certain vetting issues or some previous injuries
  • Behavior - I was willing to accept some behavioral issues or a more difficult ride
  • I was open to looking anywhere in North America
  • Willing to buy sight unseen in some circumstances
  • I was open to almost any breed
  • I would have considered something older if it was really special
  • Didn’t necessarily have to be started under saddle, or could have had a lot of time off as long as I was comfortable with the reasons why

Anything you found surprising during your search?

• The fact prices were still so high for horses with major physical or behavioral issues (career limiting injuries, rearing problems, etc.)
  • The number of horses advertised as sound who looked anything but in their videos
  • The lack of good quality photos and video available, especially of young horses that weren’t under saddle yet. I shouldn’t be surprised, because I am frustrated with it every time I shop, but I find it crazy how difficult it is to find a seller with a 2 or 3 year old that actually has useable video of it. Some have no video at all and 99% of the ones that do seem to have jerky, grainy video of it pogo sticking around in a field with tall grass or snow up to its knees and think that is great and shows their horse off well.
  • The number of horses advertised as “hack winners” or “10 movers” that would barely get a piece of the hack out of 8 at a local show
  • The number of poor farrier jobs out there

I think I may have ended up hitting the jackpot with the mare I found. She was well within my budget, registered (she does have some “off breed” lines, but I like her pedigree), really nicely put together, good mover, super jumper and very sweet. She has been off for a while as a broodmare, and is green for her age, and she is across the country from me, unfortunately, so will have a long (and expensive) trailer ride to get here. She wasn’t suited to her originally intended discipline, according to a previous owner I spoke to, and I’m reading in between the lines a bit with her history and think we will need to do quite a bit of strengthening work and correct some flat work, but her vetting was very good, I love her type, and I think she is going to be a really fun project and could be a really special horse. I’m waiting for her current foal to be weaned (he is very cute, buckskin, and a fancy boy himself if anyone is looking! I didn’t buy him, as much as I wanted to, but someone should before I end up weak and do go and buy him as well in the end haha) for her to come to me, but I’m looking very forward to it.

6 Likes