Unlimited access >

Abler products?

I used the Abler blue pop rocks many years ago, was pleased that they worked, and the pricing made sense to me. I’m looking for more recent experience.

One of the school horses at my barn is showing signs of ulcers. We’re going to get him scoped, but a couple of us are concerned about what’s next. We can likely pass the hat to get him GG, but want to give the BO a couple alternatives.

Is anyone currrently using Abler’s Abprazole and Absucralfate?

TIA

I didn’t scope before/after, but suspected that my horse had ulcers and treated with Abler’s omeprazole and sucralfate. I was very diligent about the timing around meals and saw a drastic improvement in my horse. I’ll use their products again.

1 Like

Nexium (or generic esomeprazole) is also a very good option. There’s a whole, very long thread on it here. If you check it out, I’d suggest that you pay special attention to the two different studies that were done and the two different dosages in each. There is a very strong difference of opinion on them. :slight_smile:

The added bonus is you don’t have to deal with the uncertainties of the international shipping on the Abler products (which I have used in the past and really liked).

I used their paste form a few years ago on two different horses. One was scoped before and after and it resolved the ulcers. The other horse I just treated without scoping and all symptoms they had been displaying were gone at the end of the 30 day treatment. I believe in it.

I never used the pop rocks form though. Always the paste.

1 Like

Secret tip–if you message Abler directly, you can ask them if they have whatever product you wish to order in their state-side warehouse. They often do, and will ship directly to you from there to avoid the longer shipping time. Just have to ask.

8 Likes

I have used them before but just reordered. They now have a pill option which I went with. Easier than paste and the pellets…I can stick it in a German horse muffin and am set!

1 Like

I am also using their pills right now, but I can’t figure out how to get him to swallow the pill whole instead of chewing it up with whatever it’s fed in (he makes a “that was yucky” face when he crushes the pill). Best success so far has been a smooth alfalfa mash with the hope that it gets slurped up without him knowing.

Share me your secrets…or does your horse just not a thorough chewer?

I use the Abler blue pop rocks.

I have a horse with a horrible ulcer history, multiple scopes showing grade 4 ulcers. When I got him, he was on omeprazole and sulfracrate for riding and “stressful events” Even when he’s in a great management program, if he’s off the omeprazole, symptoms recur.

If he stays on the Abler blue pop rocks, he stays a happy camper.

I’ve used the pop rocks for over a decade for my horse who has to live on omeprazole after suspected stomach scarring /severe ulcers/ovarian tumor. She has done really well on it. I used to scope years ago but haven’t for a long time and now I watch the symptoms instead.

One warning - if you’re using long term you need to supplement with magnesium or the horse can develop a deficiency which caused severe reactivity/anxiety in my horse until resolved.

2 Likes

I got some sucralfate when regular sucralfate was on back order everywhere. Seemed to do fine, but I was using it more as preventative for my one horse that does better on sucralfate than UG.

1 Like