Unlimited access >

Abscess advice?

[QUOTE=merrygoround;7070787]
Regarding primarily metabolic issues :rolleyes: There is a distinct difference between an unnoticed puncture wound, corns, sole bruising, and “metabolic issues”—not to lame your hobbyhorse. And yes! I’m very familiar with metabolic issues, and grass and grains, having been in this horse habit entirely too long.

Greyarabpony -It’s still there. Just type it out.[/QUOTE]

When I type rolleyes I just get the new emoticon.

no, the foot hasn’t been xrayed. Fracture would be mind-blowing for us, as she was hardly worked for the weeks prior- she always gets two weeks off after Rally season ends. (although we where doing 2’9" a couple days previous, but it was on a soft surface and we stopped fairly quickly when it hit 85degrees.)
Foreign body may be possible, but being a Pony Clubber, I’m very careful with her feet, and there where no entry/exit places on her leg.
‘Not fully drained’ is what our vet is hypothesizing, too.

Thanks!
-S+R

Our vet once told me that horses most frequently fracture coffin bones stomping flies on hard ground. Really!

That’s probably not what your horse’s problem is, but my horse got a terrible amount of bruising and a huge abscess when he was sent off for training (he freaked out in turnout the trainer told me, after she took everyone else back in and left him out. Good move on her part, right?). Turns out he had a coffin bone fracture too.

His abscess had to be opened 2 different times, and his foot needed to be wrapped and booted until the sole healed. A big deal but he made a full recovery.

X-rays can also show the gas track of the abscess so the vet can get an idea of how big it is.

Hope your horse feels better soon!

Notes…

Rosie has never been unsound before this in the two and a half years I’ve had her. She was pulled at Rally this year once for being stiff, but she had just ridden 4 hours in a trailer.

She’s a VERY hard keeper- out on grass getting 3lbs of Triple Crown Senior, 5lbs of Coastal Bermuda, 2lbs of Timothy-Alfalfa daily, and STILL looks thin.
Confirmation:
She has low-ish heels, is built slightly down hill, kinda cow-hocked (as most TBs are), and feels ‘drunk’(quoting my twin) when you canter her, if any of that helps.
She’s only been shod once with me, and that was a full year ago- no nail holes.

@jb that’s pretty much what my vet thinks. He doesn’t want it dug out, though.

Seriously? that’s really freaky! sigh guess it’s possible if my sister broke her arm slipping off into soft sand!

I think the cause is just standing in the mud(her paddock is low, the grass is tall in the pasture, we’ve gotten rain every. day. since the start of this month or more, and the highest point on the property is our house.

The abscess blew on the coronary band, and but it started (looking at the hoof like i’m holding it in the top left corner, so just off-center to the left, about midway up if you’re looking dead on.

“Should I REALLY blow your mind now and say something like laminitis is not just a hoof issue but an entire body wide connective tissue issue? Which emoticon would that get me?” -LMH

Save the sarcasm.

This is not new “news”.

[QUOTE=merrygoround;7071168]
“Should I REALLY blow your mind now and say something like laminitis is not just a hoof issue but an entire body wide connective tissue issue? Which emoticon would that get me?” -LMH

Save the sarcasm.

This is not new “news”.[/QUOTE]

If this is not ‘news’ to you then why are you surprised when I show up with this ‘hobby horse’ on threads? It is evidently ‘news’ to those not as enlightened as you.

Perhaps you could help out educating people about the wide spread signs and symptoms of a metabolic imbalance.

It might help a horse or two and be a better investment of your time than arguing with me.

Because there is no way I would support your postulation that all abscess are related to “metabolic imbalances”.

[QUOTE=merrygoround;7072233]
Because there is no way I would support your postulation that all abscess are related to “metabolic imbalances”.[/QUOTE]

I never said all…if you are going to be critical please read for comprehension first. That might avoid these unnecessary exchanges in the future.

[QUOTE=Hippolyta;7069959]
When we had one last summer, we did the soak thing. It made her hoof chippy. If I was going to do it again, I would just use a poultice & wrap the hoof. everyone raves about Animalintex.[/QUOTE]

I SWEAR by Animalintex. I battled my horse’s abcess for 3 weeks, used Animalintex for 2 days and it came out and voila, horse was sound! I wasted numerous diapers, epson salt soaks, duct tape, etc… for three weeks and cured it in 2 days!

How do you know it would have not cured in 2 days on its own? :wink:

[QUOTE=JB;7070135]
Sometimes abscesses just happen, not related to metabolic issues :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly. My broodmare abscesses consistently. I never had an issue when I was riding because I kept shoes on her. Retired her and pulled the shoes then bam abscess after abscess. Now she’s got shoes on… dang expensive pasture ornament.

[QUOTE=OTTBJumpOff;7070969]
Rosie has never been unsound before this in the two and a half years I’ve had her. She was pulled at Rally this year once for being stiff, but she had just ridden 4 hours in a trailer.

She’s a VERY hard keeper- out on grass getting 3lbs of Triple Crown Senior, 5lbs of Coastal Bermuda, 2lbs of Timothy-Alfalfa daily, and STILL looks thin.
Confirmation:
She has low-ish heels, is built slightly down hill, kinda cow-hocked (as most TBs are), and feels ‘drunk’(quoting my twin) when you canter her, if any of that helps.
She’s only been shod once with me, and that was a full year ago- no nail holes.

@jb that’s pretty much what my vet thinks. He doesn’t want it dug out, though.[/QUOTE]

My horse Polo would get what I called his “Spring sickness”-he could travel just like you said-I described it as feeling drunk.

I will say it again…low grade laminitis.

It presents in different ways on different horses…but with all of the information you have given it sounds more and more like it.

Sorry to be giving the unpopular suggestion.

This is sadly a topic I am more too familiar with.

[QUOTE=SouthernYankee;7072886]
Exactly. My broodmare abscesses consistently. I never had an issue when I was riding because I kept shoes on her. Retired her and pulled the shoes then bam abscess after abscess. Now she’s got shoes on… dang expensive pasture ornament.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but it really confuses me how owners can be so flip about chronic abscessing.

Truly. Honestly. Horses do NOT just chronically abscess. Short of a trauma it IS a sign of an imbalance internally in the horse.

And with that said, good luck to both you and the OP, and I hope I am 100% wrong…because if I am right it will get ugly one day and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

[QUOTE=LMH;7073302]
I am sorry but it really confuses me how owners can be so flip about chronic abscessing.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. And I’m really struggling to understand how a shoe stops it?

Any horse with chronic abscessing needs a full work up by a qualified vet. Good chance there is a pocket of infection in there that may have compromised the coffin bone (septic pedal osteitis).