Unlimited access >

Abscesses; post drainage care

3 feet! I feel bad for this horse. And my back

As far as I know, he hasn’t been tested for Cushing / PPID.

He hasn’t had any coat abnormalities, he’s has a slick, if thin, coat. He was scrawny and sucked up looking when I got him, but has gained flesh nicely.

So it’s totally possible he has it but just hasn’t started exhibiting visible symptoms.

1 Like

Cleaned up a bit. Very flappy looking.

I guess I’ll wrap three feet today. FUN

About 25 years ago, I had a QH mare who kept getting hoof abscesses, one hoof, then another, then another, sometimes two at a time. She had 9 within a 12-month period. The vet thought maybe her immune system was just weak and he gave her a series of EqStim (sp?) shots, something like 3 or 4 over several weeks. She never had another abscess. Just wanted to share. Good luck with your fellow!

1 Like

I may ask my vet about this, or similar. Thank you!

@ EmilyM Keratoma was considered and the shoer believed it was a keratoma. The vet said it was not. As the hoof grew out, every trimming, more and more was visible from the bottom, and was gradually cut away. At first it looked like “cheese” on the bottom of the foot under the abscess hole (I do have more pix if you want to see them). That gave way to light pink hoof sole, then eventually, normal looking hoof sole. Now shoer says if he didn’t know the horse, he’d never know there had been such a huge abscess in the foot. This may well have been a keratoma that grew out —just glad my boy is well today. Of course, horses being horses, I could go out today and find one lame . . .

2 Likes

Abscesses plus skin crud, regardless of coat and other symptoms would have me looking at metabolic issues.

I’ve found Horse Vet Corner on Facebook a wonderful source of info. You can search for posts about metabolic issues, and peruse their files. The vets who post there are really helpful.

1 Like

Another vote for sugardine if there’s an opening on the bottom of the foot. That stuff is great - not just because it’s antiseptic, but also because it doesn’t turn the sole to mush. That’s really the last thing you want.

If an abscess blows elsewhere - say the coronary band - I’d clean it up and leave it alone.

2 Likes

I’ll ask the vet about doing the blood test on him. I think it’s a blood test anyways lol. Vet is due back out next month I believe for my other horse’s dental, so easy enough to do it then. I doubt it’s prohibitively expensive to get it done.

1 Like

Poor guy had scary thin, flat bordering on convex soles with killer thrush combined with piss poor angles when I got him 3 months ago and it’s rained pretty much every day since then. His soles don’t need any more problems.

I’ve been putting the sugardine on all three abscess holes. I only wrapped the one on the coronet band the first 24 hrs. I didn’t have the strength to re wrap it last night after doing the front hooves. I might just squirt some Go Dry in it today after washing his legs.

On the upside, the one in his heel seems to be healing quickly! The one in his sole is super close to the edge of his toe so I’m hoping it will grow out / get trimmed out fairly soon. And his thrush is way better, no more giant cracks in his center sulcus and his frogs no longer resemble Swiss cheese!

Good grief! Poor guy!

If it was me, I think I’d keep him in on dry shavings as long as he’ll put up with it, just to let his feet dry out a bit. But it sounds like he’s getting better, so good on you! You’re clearly doing something right.

:ok_hand:

Good grief is right. All that plus being under weight, in desperate need of a dental and rain rot / scratches. He was someone’s show hunter, but I guess he was too much maintenance in his retirement so he came to me. Bless him.

I was keeping him up half the day, but my back can’t tolerate daily mucking right now so he’s on full time turnout currently. I hate it, but I can only do what I can do. I console myself with at least he’s getting square meals now.

ETA: my paddocks are mud free and don’t hold water so it’s not like he’s standing in soup or anything

Aww, poor guy. He’s lucky he landed with you

2 Likes

He’s a lucky pony to have you, and I’m sure your paddocks are fine. (Mine do look a bit soup-like at the moment, so I can totally relate.)

And don’t forget: better nutrition will build up his resistance to infection tremendously, so there’s a big win right there.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! We like him (even if he is very needy)! He’s very easy to work with and that has been an unprecedented boon with my own compromised strength at the moment.

1 Like

Mine would be soupy too if not for the native sand! Better rain than drought I guess!

That’s what I’m hoping for! That between better food in sufficient quantities and better hoof care, he’ll be ok one day!

2 Likes

I’m sure he will.

A few years back I adopted a malnourished mini with a hideous patchy coat, worms, lice (!) and feet that hadn’t been done in a year. Of course I treated each issue separately, but, really, I think that good food and a clean environment did him more good than anything else.

I hope you keep us posted on your old man. He sounds like a great guy with a happy future.

1 Like

Lice! Oh my! That’s pitiful :frowning: Good thing you scooped him up!

It’s amazing what basic care will do! Just gotta get past the crisis baggage lol!

Thanks for commiserating with me :slight_smile:

I have a feeling I’ll be posting regularly about this old guy…

1 Like