Unlimited access >

Acavallo Sensitive Bits

I recently saw these bits at a tack shop, they look interesting as I’m looking for a bit for my horse who tends to be heavy/lean and has a rather dull mouth so while he’s more on the lazy side, I like knowing I have brakes for the times he wakes up.

I just ordered one and it should be here by the end of the week. I selected it because my horse is super sensitive. Will come back and let you know how he likes it!

1 Like

They have good reviews, but be sure to inspect it thoroughly before each ride. They are reinforced with steel cable in the middle. If the plastic material is compromised in any way on any part of the mouthpiece you run the risk of that steel cable being exposed, which will cause immense pressure because it’s so thin. I’ve also seen someone snap one of these in half with regular usage. Probably a fluke, but a scary one.

Also, since the cheek “rings” don’t move, they are completely fixed to the mouthpiece, the mechanics will be different than a standard snaffle with a dee ring cheek. It will do a lot more pushing on the opposite side, like a fixed shank leverage bit would, than a standard dee ring snaffle would.

4 Likes

It arrived! And, as a rider with only loose ring snaffles, I have no idea how the action on this thing works. I’m assuming I put the cheek pieces in the slots in the middle of each fixed side ‘D’? And the reins go on the bottom? Isn’t that a weird lever-y thing in their mouths? Doesn’t it put more pressure on the roof of their mouth? If I’m reading/understanding WildGooseChase’s comments, it sounds like it could be harsher, which is the opposite of what I need.

I did put it in his mouth and he was very curious about it … lots of tongue movement but maybe this isn’t for us.

I also ordered (because I am just plain nuts) the Acavallo Jumpe.

ETA … Ummmmm, I think I came at this from the very wrong perspective - the port is supposed to keep the tongue from softening the influence of the bit. Is that correct? I think I was laboring under the illusion that it was ‘kinder’ to the tongue.

1 Like

Had one. Did not like it at all, nor did my horse.

1 Like

Hey there, I’ve tried the acavallo sensitive bits on a horse who is very particular about his tongue… got mixed results - not perfect but not awful… I do think the “port” is intended to provide tongue relief but I think in smaller mouths its a lot of bulk and ultimately ends up putting pressure on the roof of the mouth… but I have had success with a few others: if you want the tongue relief , a little less bulky AND is legal for the dressage ring, I love the happy tongue bomber bit… I also love schooling in a leather bit - honestly I think that’s where mine is happiest but the bomber makes him a bit steadier for the show ring so I use it in my dressage tests. The leather is legal for eventing dressage but not usdf last I checked… One other tip someone gave me is to keep sugar in your pocket and continue to give sugar throughout the ride to keep their mouth wet, for the really particular ones this can help them a lot.
Good luck! Katie

3 Likes

Oooo thanks for the recommendation! I actually had one of their bits pop up in my search yesterday - the mullen.

k

That’s the one - I’ve switched a few of mine to this now- even ones that weren’t fussy but just tended to hang a little bit or feel one sided in the bridle seem to go better in it. Like I said I have one that’s extremely sensitive and does not like almost any bit and he goes quite well in this and day to day actually really seems to like the leather bit.

1 Like

Just tried the Acavallo Jumpe. He loves it. I’ve never had his mouth be so quiet, and his nose so consistently in front of the vertical. His whole body opened up - his shoulder reach was amazing.

1 Like

The reviews on this bit had a number of people complaining that the bit rings rub the cheeks as they do not move.

That’s interesting. It’s a rope bit.

Didn’t see that, but they do sell rubber big guards - probably for that reason. Based on my limited experience it doesn’t seem like it can’t move.

Tried this and rode in it for 5 minutes on each horse, both couldn’t stand it.

1 Like

I also did not find a horse who liked this bit. I sold it, which is rare for me as I’m a bit hoarder. No use for this one.

Did you try the Jumpe, or the pelham?

Sorry, this was a reply to enjoytheride who commented about the Bomber Happy Tongue. Sometimes, the new forum formatting is confusing!

1 Like

I tried this bit on two horses too. Nope, no way, WTF are you thinking lady?

After some thought I think that these horses were commenting on my inability to keep my hands completely even on the reins, and the inability of my hands to keep this bit from sliding from side to side.

And I do not get these comments only with THIS particular tongue relief mouthpiece (the Bombers one I tried has a titanium mouthpiece). EVERY tongue relief bit I’ve put in gets these reactions, solid mouth, single jointed, snaffle, Weymouth curb, stainless steel sweet iron, rubber or titanium Bombers, Fager and Shires.

The horses “told me” that they depended on their tongues to protect their bars from the bits (and my hands), and that they really resented when I prevented them from using their tongues in this protective manner.

I am sure that their are many riders who have much better hands than I do. Their horses may really like this bit especially if a part of their tongue hurts them.

1 Like

So what bit do you use?

Right now I am using Fager titanium bits in a double bridle.

My bradoon is the Fager Alicia, a three piece mouthpiece with a titanium roller in the middle section.

My Weymouth curb is the no-longer-made Fager Victoria Mullen mouth curb.

I use this set up on two different horses at very different stables.

IF I “have to” use a snaffle bit I prefer the Fager Bianca titanium three piece snaffle with a titanium roller in the middle.

For boredom relief I would be alternating with the Fager Alexander sweet iron three piece snaffle with a copper plate (not as wide as a Dr. Bristol plate) in the middle, the plate is angled sort of like a Dr. Bristol. The few times I got to use this bit the horses were able to use the center place to communicate with me from tongue to finger.

If someone would make a Dr. Bristol snaffle in titanium I would be SO HAPPY about it, and I suspect the horses would like it too. But, alas, Dr. Bristol bits get a bum rap because in a big book about bits the instruction of how to put it on the bridle has it essentially upside down. The front of the center plate should be angled UP, if the Dr. Bristol bit is put on with the front of the plate angled down ALL the horses I’ve ridden have thoroughly cussed me out by flinging their heads, backing off of contact, and looking anywhere for an escape.

Before the horses “told me” that my hands were no longer good enough my favorite bit was the JP Dr. Bristol on which I put bias tape on the upper corner of the D for the cheek piece to go through (to stabilize the center plate at the proper angle). I was riding three different horses with that bit, they all liked it when my hands were still good enough, and they all improved and cheerfully reached for contact and listened to and obeyed most of my hand aids.

Today all “tongue relief” bits get an automatic no from me. MY hands are just not steady enough for the horses to trust them with a tongue relief bit. Other people’s hands are likely to be much steadier than mine and their horses may consider a tongue relief bit an absolutely wonderful invention. I have a few in my bit box, because you know, horses.

Mine goes in a “knockoff” of this because he likes a baucher cheekpiece. He also goes well in leather, but due to some jaw alignment stuff, he chews those up really quickly. The rope gives me the same feel and effect, but is much more durable. It’s not USDF legal, but is perfectly fine for USEA. I do wrap in sealtex to give it a little longer preservation due to the teeth, but even unwrapped, it’s durable. That said, I meticulously check it before and after every ride out of paranoia.

Mine hated happy mouths and most of the rubber varieties we tried, but he also strongly prefers a baucher - non-metal bauchers aren’t exactly a hot item.