Unlimited access >

Ace or Dorm

@gumtree if you are dispensing medication to a horse you don’t own, you are practicing veterinary medicine without a license. That’s illegal.

Sure, you may think it’s government overreach and dumb. But it’s still not legal.

This isn’t rocket science. Stick a needle in a horse that’s not yours? Are you a vet? Then no, you are not permitted to do that.

Here is the law specific to PA.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/pa-veterinary-chapter-14a-veterinary-medicine-practice

Here’s all the stuff you are not permitted to do, because you’re not a vet.

1. “Practice of veterinary medicine” includes, but is not limited to, the practice by any person who (i) diagnoses, treats, corrects, changes, relieves or prevents animal disease, deformity, injury or other physical, mental or dental conditions by any method or mode, including the prescription or administration of any drug, medicine, biologic, apparatus, application, anesthetic or other therapeutic or diagnostic substance or technique, (ii) performs a surgical operation, including cosmetic surgery, upon any animal, (iii) performs any manual procedure upon an animal for the diagnosis or treatment of sterility or infertility of animals, (iv) represents himself as engaged in the practice of veterinary medicine, (v) offers, undertakes, or holds himself out as being able to diagnose, treat, operate, vaccinate, or prescribe for any animal disease, pain, injury, deformity, or physical condition, (vi) uses any words, letters, or titles in such connection or under such circumstances as to induce the belief that the person using them is engaged in the practice of veterinary medicine and such use shall be prima facie evidence of the intention to represent himself as engaged in the practice of veterinary medicine, (vii) performs diagnostic veterinary pathology, (viii) implants electronic identification, as determined by the board, upon any animal, (ix) renders advice or recommendation by any means, including the electronic transmission of data with regard to any of the above, or (x) removes any embryo from an animal for the purpose of transferring such embryo into another animal or cryopreserving such embryo, except it shall not be considered the practice of veterinary medicine when: (a) a person or his full-time employe removes or transfers an embryo from the person’s own animals for the purpose of transferring or cryopreserving the embryo so long as ownership of the animal is not transferred or employment of the person is not changed for the purpose of circumventing this act or (b) a person independently, with indirect veterinary supervision, implants any embryo into an animal.
3 Likes

ha ha ha! according to this everyone on COTH is performing illegal actions “renders advice or recommendation by any means, including the electronic transmission of data with regard to any of the above”

I’ve given tons of injections- definitely more to other people’s horses than to my own including in PA at one of the US’s most prominent vet hospitals (where I was neither a vet or a tech).

Of course she should do what’s necessary to stay safe. As I said “once the feet are caught up” which means tended to. I’m sure she is installing good manners and standing for shoeing and medical treatment should be job one.

I recently used the Dorm gel this past NYE due to people living right behind my pasture setting off crazy amounts of very loud fireworks.

I know, just as with people, each horse can react differently to a sedative and some are more “light weights” than others. That said, I ended up having to give the Dorm after my boy was already very worked up (I didn’t think people would be starting lots of fireworks while it was still daylight outside and had planned to give it to him right as it was getting dark if needed). Because he was so worked up, he was also being a pain about letting me give him the Dorm and I know some of it did not get under his tongue. Despite those two things, it kicked in, in around 30 minutes and lasted for almost 2.5 hours (this result was for a full tube of Dorm and he weighs approx around 1200lbs and is a Thoroughbred).

I was very pleased with the results of it and woudn’t hesitate to use it again if I needed to.

I would recommend wearing some disposable gloves, however, my vet said the biggest concern with Dorm is the mucous membranes, so really be sure not to get it in your eyes, nose or mouth if you use it.

I was so rushed in trying to get my guy sedated before he ran through my electric fence or did something else to hurt himself that I ended up not having anything on that I had planned to wear.

I’m very lucky that he didn’t spit any of it back out at my face while I was dosing him.

Afterward, I did purchase one of these face shields they had at the hardware store for around $3 and plan to use that if I need to do any sedation in the future. The one I have is “Pyramex S1010 Polyethylene Face Shield”. It’s easy to grab and stick on and will protect the most important areas according to my vet.

If your other half needs to sedate your horse, I think the Dorm gel would be pretty easy to do for a beginner and if he has on gloves and a face mask, he should be safe doing it.

Hope this helps!