ACL/MCL & Knee people, I have questions (braces, chaps, stirrups, etc.)

Just over a week ago I completely tore my ACL and partially tore my MCL. I will need surgery but I’m doing a month of physical therapy first to allow the inflammation to subside and to strengthen my muscles pre-op. When I asked my surgeon how soon I could be back in the saddle he laughed at me. He gave me a prescription for a knee brace and I asked if I could ride in it and he laughed at me again.

I’ve been testing out activities, and while I can not walk without a limp I have found I can do the elliptical trainer and ride my bike pain-free. I think I can ride if I can just manage to get on my horse.

I don’t know if riding in the brace will work because there is a metal support bracket on the inside which would be between my knee and the saddle and would probably be very uncomfortable. I figure it may be best to ride without stirrups, but was wondering about the ovation streamliner ones, which anchor to the girth and would be more stable…any thoughts?

Also, while I know a sleeve type brace offers little to no support, I also know that while I wear my full leather chaps, my knees are limited in movement, so I’m wondering if riding in my full chaps possibly over a sleeve type brace might give just enough support. Thoughts on this theory? I sort of like the look of the prochaps (neoprene and leather full riding chaps) but don’t want to sink $275 just yet, especially if I get on and find it’s going to be too painful. But, with cold winter and painful knees, I think they look like they might be a good idea. Plus, I think my half chaps are going to be irritating with a brace over top.

Unfortunately I partially tore the ACL in my left knee over a decade ago, so my good one (the right one) is now the bad one. I have sort of done an off the horse run-through (“mounting” saddle on the saddle stand, simulated posting…I’m goofy I know, just needed to know if the mcl would be painful pressed against the saddle, and if my knee would buckle) and it looks like mounting and dismounting are going to be the only issues. Hubby can give me a leg up, and I do have a 3 step mounting block. I just want to stack the odds in my favor for if/when I do give this a shot.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

You are not going to want to hear this, BUT was in a similar situation last winter, completely tore my ACL and broke my tibia. Decided in the time between surgery and injury to get on my steady eddy. Dismounted and when I put my leg down off of the mounting block it gave out even with the brace on (it was not an immobilized but not a soft sleeve either) when it gave out, I ended up tearing my mcl and meniscus, which were intact prior to my dismount. Be very, very careful. My PT is a horse person and she warned me not to do it, ate a lot of crow at my first pt appointment prior, not to mention it caused additional swelling which set my surgery back another two weeks.

I ruptured one ACL and severely sprained the MCL last summer. Doc did not recommend surgery. After about six weeks/two months, I started riding again without a brace. Second ride, I re-sprained the MCL quite seriously while mounting. I did buy a special brace to ride in. I have a metal cage brace for everything “dangerous” except riding, but I also have a fabric brace with a couple of metal rods for riding. It’s much lighter and flatter and seems to work. It keeps the knee from twisting.

I rode for several years without an ACL at all on the other knee and developed a special dismount, which involves keeping the left foot in the stirrup, bring the right leg over, balance on the hands and kick the left foot free. Make sure that both legs and feet are even before dropping to the ground. The weight is suspended by the arms until you land.

I don’t recommend trying to dismount on a mounting block. Too much chance of not landing level. And landing level will protect your knees.

Mounting and dismounting are the most dangerous parts of trying to ride without an ACL. Riding with stirrups never seemed to make a difference to my knees.

I use a three step mounting block to get on. Can’t imagine how a leg up would work with a bad left knee.