Acupuncture?

What was it like? How many sessions?Anybody try this for chronic pain?

I tried it for chronic migraines with no success at all. I went to one practitioner once a week for about eight sessions and I gave it another 4 week try with a different acupuncturist. Neither one helped a bit. I wish I could report better results, but that was my experience.
The experience itself was not painful, the needles were inserted and I felt mostly nothing, maybe a slight sting once in awhile.

I went for stiff, sore neck muscles. Ended up having most of the muscles in my back, hips and legs treated. The guy who I saw is incredible and I would say it is more therapeutic than relaxing. I feel every needle. He sticks them in strategically and he twists them until the muscle jumps. He did more for my sore neck in 3 visits than months of massage did. I have mobility in my right shoulder that I haven’t had since being a teenager.

My dad is seeing this guy right now due to a deteriorating disc in his neck that is resulting in a pinched nerve in his arm. His fingers were numb for months. Saw physio and massage for about 6 months. Acupuncture brought feeling Back to fingers in 2 visits.

I think acupuncture is amazing and worked for me beyond my wildest expectations. It is too bad that it doesn’t work for everyone. I think it is worth trying. Ask for recommendations. Talk to them about your desires and issues. If you don’t feel something during treatment, try somewhere else.

1 Like

I tripped on a cat while in the military - she was lying in the floor, I felt her under my foot, and jumped to avoid crushing her. That jump was what caused the injury - my pinky toe slammed into the doorjamb of the bathroom. I was literally 3 weeks out from going to Iraq, and joke that the cat was a conscientious objector. That happened on a Saturday, and I was in pain on Monday, so went to the doctor and got an x-ray to ensure it wasn’t broken. Nope, and they suggested it was just a bone bruise. I went about the business of preparing to deploy, and of course, the pain got incredibly worse. I ended up on crutches for 6 weeks! They sent me to PT, and did an MRI, sent me to a podiatrist, but since it was soft tissue injury, no help. They checked for a blood clot, because my foot was cold but leg warm above it, and then kept doing physical therapy mainly because, IMO, they had no idea what else to do. I had a referral to an orthopedic surgeon, but was so sick of the pain, I went to my chiropractor who also did acupuncture.

When I checked in, I had to fill out the form and circle the areas of pain on a diagram of the body. I circled my toe, then behind my knee, my hip, and up the side to my shoulder, since everything was moving upward. The doctor pulled out an acupuncture meridian diagram, and the circled points on my chart exactly matched the gall bladder meridian, which starts right where I had nerve damage (neuroma, per MRI), behind the pinky toe. The doctor asked if I’d had stomach issues, which I had, but had assumed was due to stress. Two treatments later, I was running again!!!

Treatments can vary, depending on the techniques the doctor employs, but most often, it’s a very shallow depth, and just a few needles, and they leave you to lie down with the needles in for about 15 minutes, lights dimmed and music playing. It is the MOST relaxing nap ever, and I’m not really a spa person. I’ve seen acupuncture done on horses, and they always kind of go to sleep in the crossties, and I understand it - it’s just so relaxing. You are being scammed if the acupuncturist says you need ongoing, regular treatment - this doctor explained if he can’t make a difference in 10 treatments or less, it’s not helping. And while I went for that first treatment as last resort, now it’s my first stop! I have used it for sinus issues, and I always use it before surgery now. I had a gum graft and didn’t even react to the novocaine injection beforehand, and I had a tonsillectomy in my 20s, and was totally fine, but had acupuncture beforehand. I don’t believe it’s placebo - ample evidence of efficacy, but even if it is placebo, who cares? The giant pills that have a list of side effects a mile long don’t convince my brain to make me feel better, but the needles do. I’m a huge fan!

However, something else to try, depending on what your source of pain is - myofascial release. When I had a back injury that caused muscle spasms, I found it was more effective that acupuncture. And again, just a few treatments, spasms stopped, and I was shown stretches to do at home that prevent future issues. I’ve referred a lot of friends to this therapist (occupational therapy), and everyone has reported success!

The key for anything, even western medicine, is a good doctor/practitioner. Good luck!

Had a treatment this morning for leg pain. He also left some tape in a short pattern behind my ear and showed me how to use that trigger point to deal with pain. I’m going back again on Thursday and I am hoping it will help. Not much change after just one treatment

1 Like

Its good that you have tried it, and it’s not necessary to have immediate results just after the first time. Have patience and go for some more visits, soon after you will realize the difference.

Yes, I’ve had four treatment so far and my sciatica pain is definitely responding and lessening. It’s really fascinating.

Just an update: six sessions and the leg pain is completely gone. My rehab doc was very pleased that I had gone to the acupuncturist since I am allergic to almost all pain medications. He -the MD–believes acupuncture is excellent for pain management. And that’s been my experience

1 Like

So glad it worked for you! It’s wonderful to have pain relief that doesn’t involve medication in my opinion.

Absolutely! No side effects.

1 Like

That sounds like dry needling more than acupuncture and I think dry needling is amazing but acupuncture didn’t do anything for me,
Here’s a little comparison for anyone whose interested
http://www.theacupuncturecompany.com.au/blog/2014/01/30/acupuncture-vs-dry-needling/

My rehab doc, a physiatrist, did research on acupuncture in med school. He said western vs eastern medicine is about semantics in this area…western says trigger points and releasing endorphins vs removing congestion and blockage of chi or energy

Reported