Add Ramp to Step-Up Trailer?

I have a 2000 gooseneck 3 horse slant Bison AlumaSport trailer with weekender living quarters and rear tack. It is a step up model. I have had this trailer since it was new and it is in good condition and has always been well maintained.

Is it possible to add a ramp to this trailer? Rear doors are same size.

My wonderful Rocky has recently been diagnosed with laminitis and we are 3 weeks into treatment (he is doing really well) but looking ahead to future trailering, I am wondering how comfortably he will be able to jump into the trailer as he has done for the past 12 years— and then there is also the hopping out.

Advice?

SCM1959

We added a ramp to our aluminum trailer. We bought the ramp from the manufacturer so we would be sure it fit and matched the paint etc… The trailer dealership ordered it for us and had it put on where they have trailer work done. Since it’s aluminum you need someone that is good at welding aluminum. Cost was roughly $1,000 probably high but was worth it.

1 Like

Can you post a picture of the back bumper?

I am in the process of doing this for an Exiss stock trailer that is just… way too tall. And I really don’t want a ramp, but, it’s just a lot to ask of the ancient ones not so much to hop in but to step backwards out.

On mine, the current rubber bumper is bolted on, so that gets removed and the ramp bolts through those same holes. Then I’m told we’ll have to weld some “barrel hinges” on, presumably for the drop-pins to secure it.

My advice – see if the manufacturer will sell you the ramp and advise on installation. If not, then go look at new trailers with ramps and see if you can find one you think will work, and have someone modify/bolt/weld whatever is needed to get it attached and secured. It should be possible, but without seeing it it’s hard to tell.

I added one to a 99 sundowner…loved it