Unlimited access >

Adding Four New Barn Cats - advice as to transition

As tough as it is, if bringing your old lady into the house truly isn’t an option, I would really consider putting her down before moving in four new cats. Spoil her silly, give her all of her favorite treats, and let her go in her barn without interlopers. Having a whole crew move in is just so likely to be so very stressful for her, and that really isn’t fair to her at the end of her life.

I’m sorry, it’s always so hard when they get older. Cancer is such a beast. :cry:

3 Likes

Update…no new barn kitties yet. They are “catching” them then will take to my daughter-in-law’s work (animal hospital) where they will be tested and given updated vaccinations. The old lady cat is doing remarkably well on steroids shots every two weeks and once the new guys come, she will go in her owner’s trailer which is right next to the barn.

Once I have a firm timetable as to when the new cats will come, I will start acclimatizing her in the trailer. We originally didn’t have her live there as she would have beat up the other three cats. Two have since died and only her son lives there now. She “beats” him up when he shows up in the tack room occasionally… :smile:

1 Like

This plan - still does not sound well thought out for the old cat with cancer nor for her son. Adding cats safely and humanely take weeks/months ! ? the mother and son fighting on the trailer ? Adding the old cat to the son’s trailer, when they fight when they run into one another in the tack room ? Wow ! ? and when the two get out of that trailer ? and start fighting and trying to evict the new cats ? What could go wrong ? :crazy_face: