Unlimited access >

Adding Four New Barn Cats - advice as to transition

I’ve read the various threads about adding barn cats and I know what I would do IF there was not an already existing barn cat and if I was only adding one other cat.

I have a heated tack room, a nice size, with a cat door. The problem I’m facing is that if I lock the new cats in the room, the older cat won’t be able to get in and she’s a bit set in her ways. I feed her in there, etc.

So I’m thinking of placing her heated plug in bed right outside the tack room door which is on a platform then you step down to the barn aisle and feeding her outside also and keeping the new cats in the tack room for about a week. Or would you do two big dog crates with two new cats in each? I don’t know much about them except they are all fixed, will be fully vaccinated and are both male and female and they are being rehomed from the same barn.

Any other suggestions?

I’d crate the new cats in the tack room for more than a week. It takes about four for cats to reset their gps to home.

Bringing four cats from one colony into a barn with one older cat runs really high risk of the older cat getting run off. Has your older cat done well with new cats in the past? Give her PLENTY of time to make friends with the newbies through the crate. I’d let them loose one at a time, with enough time in between that your older cat settles with each new cat.

Or, do you have a hay barn or some other space that can be home base for the new cats, while your older cat keeps “her” barn?

Or, can your older barn cat move inside the house?

Or, can you wait until the older cat passes before adding a new crew?

4 Likes

I’d crate the new cats for 4-6 weeks

1 Like

Another vote to crate the new cats (4-6 weeks).
Do not kick your old cat out of her own space.

Once you let the new cats free make sure to be aware of what your old cat is dealing with and you might need to provide her with other options for a warm place to sleep and a safe place to eat. Four against one is hard.

4 Likes

Thank you! Would you crate two cats in one large dog crate? Then for a little while, let them out when I’m in there?

I have a 3 sided shed for my hay and sawdust but I can’t close it up. I was initially going to wait to add new cats once the old lady died but my these new cats need a home as their owner is dying.

Also, the old lady cat has cancer and, while she is doing ok, we are keeping up antibiotics and steroids… She has lived with over 8 other cats all at one time who eventually died off and has been around when new cats have come and gone. She’s usually the boss.

I thought of something else…in my tack room, I have a little room that I was originally going to make into a bathroom but money got in the way. What if I put all four new cats in that room with a gate across the door, tall enough they can’t jump? The room is about 7 ft by 4 ft.

1 Like

Adding four cats is very likely to drive this cat off to die. Maybe even if they’re crated. New cat intros are always stressful.

I’d really bring her in. Then you can acclimate your new barn cats & keep your old lady’s end of life peaceful.

4 Likes

I was afraid of that… :cry:

While it’s nice you’re adopting the four cats who need a home but !

I’ll say this right out … this is an awful way to treat your old barn cat, who is suffering from cancer!

• only way this is a good plan is if your old barn cat is invited inside for the remainder of her life.

and FWIW - a gate will not safely contain the new cats.

6 Likes

There is no such thing as a gate that they can not get over. Laugh. But this room would work fine.

One of the things I like about crates is it give old lady cat a chance to sniff and walk away as she likes. Then you can see what she thinks of the whole idea. She might be fine with it.

2 Likes

I’d leave the newbs crated in that room with the door closed for about a week.
Then open the door, but any gate should be floor to ceiling or they will jump or climb over.
This way your OldLady can first smell them, then see them & likewise for new cats.
If she’s upset, I agree try getting her inside your house & hope that’s ok with her. :crossed_fingers:
Her last days shouldn’t be stressful.

You’re a kind soul for taking in these 4.
I hope it works out. :+1:

I’ve heard of stacking 2 baby gates. Though that does make it a pain for you to get through.

I have a 40” tall Carlson gate with swinging door at the entrance to my kitchen, that will stop most of my cats entering (not so much leaving as they can jump over from the kitchen counter) but one will make the jump if he’s motivated enough. A regular tension gate on top of that may do the trick.

My barn cats will jump/climb the 7’ stall walls to walk across the top of them, or at least they did in their younger days. I think a 40" gate will for sure be a - here, hold my beer - obstruction for a relocated cat.

1 Like

Crating two cats together, unless they are a bonded pair, is very risky. Even if friendly, two adults in one crate is pretty tight and might lead to litter box issues.

Consider making the old cat a kitty palace somewhere there are no drafts and she feels safe, and can get away from the new kitties.

To give you some hope: we had an older cat (recently PTS) and when we neutered a semi-feral dude and moved him in last winter, they bonded. Old cat and scardy cat, were quite happy to snuggle in the quiet, unused loft space.

To help your new kitties feel at home, see if you can have their existing blankets or house, and find out their favourite food.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I think I will be doing a lot of figuring out before they come. I’m not sure when that will be yet.

1 Like

It is very wonderful of you to take on these cats in their time of need. I am sure you will figure something out.

I said yes before I thought of all of the ramifications… :frowning_face: and I can’t back out now. I’ve figured out two indoor options for the old lady cat and will run them by my grumpy but loving husband… :smirk:

2 Likes

“Honey, would you rather have old lady cat in this room or that room over there?”
Giggle.

Even with the bumps in the road, what you are doing is a wonderful thing.

8 Likes

I second @trubandloki, you’re doing a wonderful thing for those kitties.

Maybe hubby will warm up over favorite meals and drinks??

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like