Unlimited access >

Additive to add bounce to outdoor sand rings?

Those with outdoor sand rings, do you use an additive successfully? I’ve been looking at Reiten Reit / GGT…? as something to mix in to create a more friendly surface - more bounce, perhaps less dust and watering needs. I won’t / can’t use chip rubber.

This would be for a very well drained outdoor - in a very wet area - for flatwork - with less than 2" of sand.

I have added Premier’s “Arena Aid” and it does help with “bounce” but it needs a specific sand to work well. I also added “Foam footing” which was recommended here. It is like Reiten Right but judging on advertisements seems to be cheaper. I only added two inches ( per their instructions and my square footage) because I was on a budget and I already had Arena Aid. I wish I had added 4 inches. It does add more bounce but 4 inches would have been better. If I win the lottery I will add more…

The Arena Aid has helped with too much water/ not enough water. My arena has not had heavy use but I never had to water last summer during our drought. If you live in a more arid area this may not be true for you. Reiten Right and Foam Footing are chopped up yoga/ camping mats.

2 Likes

Susan, what do you do in your arena? I’m looking at the Arena Aid as well, but I suppose in part the degree of satisfaction with the footing depends on what discipline you do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dressage. Mostly lunging at this time but aiming on dressage.

2 Likes

Thanks!! Not to hijack but it seems like a really good option!

1 Like

I would look at FoamFooting from performancefooting.com like Susan said. We installed it in our euro-walker to start then added it to our outdoor last week. Works great for our dressage ring. I think we added 50 bags which was perfect.

1 Like